The Accidental Superhero Group

TheQuestionMan

Greetings Progams, I was quickly scanning topic titles and I guess my subconcious inserted "The Accidental Superhero Group" trope were non exists.

The PC's are drawn together by events and form their own Superhero Team.

What variations can you think up?

QM

There was an entier animated television show based on this. Two even. Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends (the Spider-Friends) abd Batman: The Brave And The Bold.

Doesn't this describe most any group or am I missing something?  

X-Men is drawn together because they are mutants.  

Justice League is drawn together because the aliens invaded (on the cartoon) or Darkseid attacked the world (in New 52) and I'm certain many other ways.

Avengers are formed to fight the Hulk because Loki wants to get at Thor.  

So, I am certain that I am missing something in the relation of this.  

The Avengers needed five movies before they could be brought together.

Iron Man and Nick Fury in Iron Man.

Hulk in The Incredible Hulk.

Black Widow in Iron Man 2.

Thor and Hawkeye in Thor.

Captain America in Captain America The First Avenger.

Perhaps "accidental" is not the word so much as "involuntarily".  And there are degrees.  The FF were already a team, but got their powers involuntarily.  The Avengers already had powers, but only begrudgingly became a team.  Everything about the X-Men is deliberate except for the mutant power lottery--Xavier actively recruits team members and they are free to come and go as they wish.  The Suicide Squad was forced together by outside influences, literally at gunpoint.

Probably the most "accidental" team would be the GotG, a bunch of misfits that started out stealing from and shooting at each other, who only initially formed a "team" out of expedience.

Greetings Progams, I was quickly scanning topic titles and I guess my subconcious inserted "The Accidental Superhero Group" trope were non exists.

The PC's are drawn together by events and form their own Superhero Team.

What variations can you think up?

QM

I guess my example is the "classic" "Everyone shows up to fight the same crime, egos are bruised, then they team up to defeat a great evil"...?

They were forced into a terrible situation, as were their characters. 

They were forced into a terrible situation... which they promptly worsened.  If someone had filmed the filming that might have made a more entertaining (and disturbing) movie.  It was like a superhero movie version of Tropic Thunder, only real.

In my game world I have the Virginia Alliance, a loose-knit collection of NPC superheroes who don't (at least in their minds) really consist of a team, so much as a bunch of individuals who inhabit the same region and occasionally work together when necessary.

However, the public thinks of them as a team, and mass media insisted they had to have a name.  When those heroes refused to name their non-team, the editor of the Hero.Net Herald stuck them with the moniker of the Virginia Alliance for Global Intervention and National Aid.  (My players were dragging their feet on naming their own team, and when they saw that team name in the news and figured out the acronym, they realized that if they didn't pick a name, I was going to pick one for them, and they might not like it.)

Our campaign had this:  The group were actually individual heroes who were asked to consult on an investigation...which quickly became a Quantum Leap scenario.  We took the name Quantum Guard and work together in an attempt to return us all to our own timeline.  Myself and one other hero actually have the complication, rivalry, and constantly bicker.  

In my game world I have the Virginia Alliance, a loose-knit collection of NPC superheroes who don't (at least in their minds) really consist of a team, so much as a bunch of individuals who inhabit the same region and occasionally work together when necessary.

However, the public thinks of them as a team, and mass media insisted they had to have a name.  When those heroes refused to name their non-team, the editor of the Hero.Net Herald stuck them with the moniker of the Virginia Alliance for Global Intervention and National Aid.  (My players were dragging their feet on naming their own team, and when they saw that team name in the news and figured out the acronym, they realized that if they didn't pick a name, I was going to pick one for them, and they might not like it.)

Heh. I've done similar. There is nothing like watching the PCs seeing the names the newspapers start to use when they can't get official word to have them decide "You know... uhm, maybe the next time one of the reporters asks we should tell them something..."

As for involuntary super team, I've done the 'threat arises and all the PCs arrive there under their own power ' and you hope they click

One time, I ran a situation where a supervillain and his flunkies decided to remove the local superheroes by capturing each of them and killing them on TV to show his power.... what happens, of course, is he assembled them, and the players woke up mutual subjects of a shared death trap. While the villain is gloating on TV, they work together to get out of the trap that no one of them could escape alone.... and boom, said villain who hoped to make his mark as a true threat has brought them together. Not original, and players often hate the 'you wake up in chains' start... but it can work if they trust you and you don't make it last too long.

I dunno.  Some players like the "wake up in chains" thing.  But that seems kinda personal, and I don't like to judge.  :winkgrin:

Oh, you mean their characters wake up in chains.  Sorry.  That's completely different

If you want a list  .  .  .

Here is a scenario based on the Champions Universe.

Crusader takes on a group of VIPER agents at a warehouse, and runs into physics professor Tom Adams who was kidnapped to activate a strange scientific device.  A VIPER agent shoots the device with a blaster and the Professor is caught in an explosion granting him the powers that would allow him to become Starburst. 

Crusader as a young cousin Christine Saunders who has inherited Cold based energy powers.  After he bails her out of jail their on their way home when he sees a crime taking place.  He tells her to wait as he deals with it, but the criminal tries to use her as a human shield, and she uses her powers to knock him out.  Deciding she likes being on the right side of the law she becomes the superheroine Icicle. 

Crusader's day job is security guard Sam Saunders at Harmon Industries, and his boss James Harmon is working on a new powered armor set.  A VIPER Covert Agent Team attempts to steal it, and Sam turns into Crusader to stop them.  Harmon gets into his powered armor and helps Crusader, and decides to become Defender.

Crusader, Icicle, Starburst, and Defender begin to take on VIPER  all over the city while working alone.  Ultimately they are captured and put into a situation where they can't free themselves without the help of the others.  Escaping the trap, they defeat VIPER and decide to work together as The Champions.

In the Static Shock cartoon the main character, his "sidekick", and nearly his entire rogues gallery all gained their powers as a result of the same incident.

In the Sailor Moon cartoons each of the magical girls is recruited one after the other. Usually after the new character is drawn into some incident, are witness to the neigh defeat of the team, and are offered/instructed to become magical girls themselves to turn the tide of that battle.

In the new Voltron cartoon currently on Netflix; the "Paladins" are gathered by chance, and wind up thrust into their role (and a fair way across the galaxy) mostly by accident.

As for variations on the trope I can think up:

For my last champions campaign I had a version of Captain Chronos arranging events to thrust the PCs together. Usually by leaving eerily timed messages and packages.

In one of my past pathfinder campaigns I got the group together by having them all wake up as prisoners in a goblin tribe's lair.