A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

I really didn't need to know the excruciating details of the incredibly fat woman's sex life who was sitting across from me on the bus this morning. I am not Dr. Ruth. Its not my job. I don't want to know. Even if she were Rose McGowan or Jennifer Garner I wouldn't want to know. There are some things best left private, aren't there?

Several weeks ago I was watching wrestling and it occured to me, I am in the wrong profession. I mean, here Goldberg loses the title and what does he do? He beats up everyone he sees and starts screaming at the camera. Does he get fired? No, he gets 30 days off, and right at Christmas too. I just want a job, that when someone says something stupid, frustrating or otherwise insults my abilities, I can pick them up and pile drive them. That would be my dream job, pile driving other employees.

To count the hours, that is the way of the "I wonder how long I'll last here before I crack" with-family-for-Christmas Ninja.

But so far, so good. It's an odd feeling to be back in Middle Tennesee. Crazy as it sounds, there is an almost tangible difference in the state you can feel that goes beyond slight geographic and time zone shifts.

This state has three faces, like Janus one bettered. While none is truly better than an other, I do find myself casting eyes east. The land of the mountains of the dawn and mist pull more than the hills of the rim, or the flat lands of the Great River.

Or maybe I just don't handle decafinated soda well. *Sip*

Do you know what I REALLY hate? I hate hearing people describe their martial arts style as an "eclectic blend" of styles x, y, and z. I don't mind mixing styles; I hate the words "eclectic blend" used to describe them. It sounds like you're making coffee. Whenever I hear someone describe his style as an "eclectic blend" (or any kind of blend, for that matter), I want to say, "Where the hell do you train anyway? Starbucks?"

I've seen, both on these boards and elsewhere, folks this year who've let me know that they too, aren't crazy about visiting family for christmas, that yes, it IS stressful, and at least one lady has said "I'm good for two days, tops, before I start clawing through wood to get out..."

Silly as it may seem, this has been very reasuring. One other 'joy' that this season brings is it makes me feel ingrateful and like there is something 'wrong' with me, for not being totally thrilled iwth it, or with visiting family.

It's nice to see I'm not totally alone in my abberent behavior.

lots of thoughts this morning.

Finished putting together the prefabricated wood entertainment center that we bought with the christmas money from her dad.

I love putting that stuff together. Simple, easy, and just enough actual carpentry to bring back fun memories of spending time with my grandpa. But not so much carpentry to bring back bad memories of spending time working construction.

___

It's the holiday season, and Music Row has been evacuated. I think we're the only people around, and in my department we're at 20% staff. I volunteered to stay here and work so other people could have time off. The joys of senority, I suppose.

It's quiet. Almost too quiet. I keep wanting to light something on fire, or break something, or just scream really loud to wake everyone up.

At least the thrice damned Roundabout is clear of morons driving at 15 miles an hour around it staring at the statues in the middle going, "Hey, Look, Look, you can see her boobies."

I'm going out for lunch. I wonder what'll be open.

____

You know, I've never been at a job long enough to get any benefit from senority before. Hmmm.

____

We didn't bother to put up a tree this year. We haven't put up decorations. We spent time and energy getting presents for each other. :)

____

It's nice to be staying here for the holidays. Especially after hearing some people talk about it.

____

Oh, look Connie brought in Krispy Kreme's. Nifty. Tis the season to put on extra weight.

I'm in shape. Round is a shape, right?

____

Every time I see someone driving a Hummer H2, I look at the plate on the back and the driver.

If it's a Dealer Plate, I think, "Can't wait for my wife to get Level 8".

If it's a Woman, I think, "Soccer Mom".

If it's a Man, I think, "Sorry about your dick. I would have gotten the 'vette instead."

I don't have a problem with a Suburban, a Yukon, an Escalade, or an Expedition.

Hmmm. I don't have an issue with some guy driving an Escalade, with it's Cadillac Logo the size of the driver's head on the back, but the H2 makes me make snide comments about poseurs.

____

I'm going to go get a donut.

D

Day 2... slept late, that was wise. The more I sleep, the faster time goes.

Dogs here are already subverted, no chance for allies among the four footed population. Have considered the cat, but no, a clear manipulator if ever there was one and sure to sell me out.

Mother insists on watching 'Designing/Gardening' channel, whatever the #$#$ that is. It's winter for crying outloud, barring wheat and certain roses, what's she going to grow anyways?

I can only assume she's finally snapped and concocting some botonical nightmare of lovecraftian persuasion to get revenge on her bosses that overwork her. I fear for the middle state area when the inevitable attack from the "Shrubs of Doom" come.

Father says I slept too late, crazy man, morning isn't over until Sun hits peak... anything up to noon is fair game. Still, he seems chipper, I can only assume he had his bolts tightened recently.

Sister is the one who subverted the animals. She also seems to be the only one in family with expensive tastes. Being in our family, one wonders how she can afford it. Clearly, she is training her squirels, dogs, cat and bird to perform crimes of Evil to make her lively hood.

Brother seems even more depressed than I am. They've broken his will. He mutters about his job a lot...the lies he must tell, the coruption and tyranny of the work place... It would seem there's a VIPER nest in the area...either that, or he finally got a low paying govt job.

Got to hold on....

I swear, Microsoft would have to close its doors if it weren't for the contingent staff. We have a major deadline coming up and the only builders, project managers, and testers in the building are contractors. And we've pushed out more in the past two days that we did in the two weeks prior - when the fief wars were still in play. But I digress...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031223/ap_on_re_as/china_christmas_crackdown

I just read this.

It depresses the heck out of me. Between this, and the enslavement of Christians and Animists in Africa; I am very humbled by how lucky I have it compared to Christians else where. My god, but communist China is scared of the baby in the craddle. How utterly sad for them.

I hope Jesus doesn't mind, but there are some good Christians who could use an advance on the rewards they're supposed to get for being persecuted in his name.