A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Ch-ch-ch-chia pet.

Chia (salvia hispanica) is actually incredibly healthy. The seeds can be added to protein shakes or smoothies and bring you fiber, protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Soak the seeds until they form a gel and you get a healthy fat that mixes surprisingly well with grits or oatmeal. The sprouts are tasty and, again, very nutritious.

And Americans of my generation just remember the silly chia pets.

Strange planet.

As someone who's been kicked upstairs into management, I have a real appreciation for how difficult the job can be. Often--in fact, usually--I feel that I'm not up to the task. I am much better at working with machines than with people. But then I read about what other managers are like and I realize that maybe I have a long way to go to reach the top, but the bottom is a long way off too.

I'm amazed.

Yesterday, I got a letter from my former employer telling me that I would get my check from my pension 10 days after the first of September.

I thought, "No sweat. I asked for Direct Deposit."

Today...I received a post dated check for the pension. And I had asked that they take state taxes from it and they did not. So I got a bigger check than I anticipated, but I'm thinking I'm going to be paying quite a bit on my taxes this year.

Gotta make a call to Fidelity soon. Turn my 401k into an IRA for the tax break.

Weeee! Finance!