A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Smooth Transitions

"Hi! We're taking over! We're going to stir things up and make you jump

through hoops and change things for the worse! But be assured, we want a

SM0OTH TRANSITI0N!"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary admonishes me to stop complaining how much it sucks, and do what must be done to keep it from sucking terminally.

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

USNO is doing a web poll about eliminating leap seconds. If leap seconds cost money, let them know. Looks to be most interested in economic impacts of keeping UTC as it is now (with leap seconds as needed) against phasing them out (and abandoning the astronomical basis for timekeeping).

This isn't a flip anonymous poll that you can do in a bored minute; they want real numbers, real names, real businesses.

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say enough is enough. There are 4-5 active election threads, each with their own respective drift. I can no longer keep up. Its not an issue of mental capacity, but temporal capacity. Tracking them is more time than I am willing to commit. Wouldn't one grand election thread be sufficient? Or just 1-2? Bleh. I have places to go and people to see.

Today, of course, was an anniversary of sorts, observed nationwide with all sorts of solemn remembrance ceremonies. History Channel was replaying all the video that they had. I watched it briefly, then turned off the TV.

My son is three years old, so obviously he has no memory or understanding of the event. Tonight, for no apparent reason, he ignored his toy cars, got out his Duplo, and started stacking square blocks to make a tower. He's done this before, but this time he didn't stop after making a short tower; he kept going as long as he had pieces. By the end he had to climb up on the bed in order to put pieces on top. When he'd put the last piece on--the tower was almost five feet tall--he held up his arms and shouted "Reach the sky!"

You go, kid.

THE YEAR'S BEST (actual!) HEADLINES

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges

You mean there's something stronger than duct tape?!

Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says

No, really?

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers

Now that's taking things a bit far!

Panda Mating Fails, Veterinarian Takes Over

What a guy!

Miners Refuse to Work After Death

Those good-for-nothing lazy so-and-sos!

Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant

See if that works any better than a fair trial!

War Dims Hope for Peace

I can see where it might have that effect!

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile

Ya think?!

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures

Who would have thought!

Enfield Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide

They may be on to something!

Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charge

He probably IS the battery charge!

New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group

Weren't they big enough?!

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft

That's what he gets for eating those beans!

Kids Make Nutritious Snacks

Do they taste like chicken?

Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half

Chain-saw Massacre all over again!

Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors

Boy, are they tall!

And the winner is....

Typhoon Rips ThroughCemetery; Hundreds Dead

Did I read that right?

Earning your PhD in Invisible Pink Unicorns does not mean that Invisible Pink Unicorns exist; it generally means that you spent a lot of time studying what people have written on the subject. You may be able to mount a well practiced argument for Invisible Pink Unicorns with many citations, but you're not going to convince anyone who wasn't inclined to believe in Invisible Pink Unicorns in the first place. Not that you're obligated to do so.

Got a text message the other day. It said something like, "Guess what, I'm moving back to Colorado. I'll living at my mom's place for a few months. Keep a lookout for a good cheap used car for me."

Didn't recognize the number, but I have a friend who moved away some years ago and keeps talking about moving back. His mom lives in my town, so I assume it's him.

I called him back, but just got music (no voice mail or anything). Then I got another text message that said, "Hey, don't call, I can't pick up right now. Just text me."

I've never texted anyone in my life. Why not? 'cause it costs $.20 to send a text, but making a call is free. Also, in the time it would take me to send a short text, I could have a conversation with five times as much information exchanged. So I don't text.

But OK, why not at least figure out how to do it? So I teach myself how to send a text message. It is short and to the point: "who is this?"

A few seconds later, I get a text back. "This is Nikki."

OK. I know a Nikki. She works at our California office. Why she would be texting me (and how she got my number) is unknown.

So I send back, "niki who? do i no u?" (I figure since I'm texting, I might as well go whole hog -- do as the Romans do and all that). ;)

Message comes back: "Isn't this David?"

My response: "sry no dave here"

And that was the end of that.

So anyway, if you ever send me a text message, expect a call back, 'cause after several hours of back and forth and a small monetary investment, I still don't see any pressing need to do any more texting. :)

So ... the self-anointed-genius financial-services CEOs, running unbridled in their avarice and ego, have, as it worked out in their damn-all-regulations-they're-bad-for-profits rush for fast bucks, put the clock back eighty years and got us back to Black Thursday.

Can we kill 'em? Them and their hand-picked lapdog boards of directors, their beholden lackeys drawing salary from the public till in what are oxymoronically called regulatory agencies? Seize what they've "earned" in pittance compensation for the disaster they've brought down?

Set 'em out to live under the freeway overpass, and let 'em eat poisoned Chinese cat food with the rest of us.