A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I like this picture drawn by Jeff Dee. Why? Because I always think of this conversation (look at the picture first):

"What do you see?"

"It's a vampire!"

"How do you know?"

"Who else would wear a tuxedo during the Middle Ages?"

Green Lantern was my second favorite Superhero, right after the Silver Age Superman / Superboy. The Legion of Superheroes was my favorite team, followed closely by the JLA. Doctor Strange factored in there as well, along with the Fantastic Four, Defenders, and Avengers. Everyone else followed.

One of my first and favorite Superhero characters for Villains and Vigilantes was a Green Lantern homage, and GL and Doctor Strange remained the characters I most often created tributes to when I was a player rather than a GM.

GL suited me for any number of reasons. I loved the galaxy spanning Sci Fi adventures, and the idea of the GL Corps. Supes was born to power, destined to be the Greatest Hero, the Perfect Kryptonian (something this generation of writers have mostly dropped). Green Lantern was given a gift of power, and had to learn how to use it. Once he did, though, he was just as powerful as Supes, not because of Destiny, but because he'd earned it. That was Doc Strange's appeal as well; he had to work for his power, to suffer, but once he achieved that power he was the Sorcerer Supreme.

Not to take anything away from the Superman fantasy. Sometimes you want to be the Chosen One, the one born with a great destiny. Besides, he had to struggle and learn as well, to prove again and again that it was his character rather than his power that made him a Hero.

Still, when it came to imagining myself as a Superhero, I usually imagined I was Green Lantern or Doctor Strange.

Now Green Lantern First Flight is coming out, and for the first time in a long while I'm thinking of actually buying a cartoon DVD. I'm also looking forward to the film. Even today, I'd still love to get my hands on a power ring.

For grin, I concocted a random room namer for fantasy-type dungeon crawls. Input is four flat-text files of colors, adjectives, nouns, and of-words. Constructs names of one of two forms: "The " or "The of ". Strictly random, some outputs are Too Cool, others very silly:

The Bronzed Abbatoir of the Damned

The Rose Lounge of Witches

The Purple Dayroom of the Gibbet

The Ochre Distillery of Horror

The Translucent Attic of Death

The Brick Countinghouse of Wretchedness

The Horrid Velvet Armory

The Crimson Stateroom of Screams

The Smelly Charcoal Den

The Bronzed Reliquary of Apostasy

The Malachite Gallery of Peril

The Colorless Terrarium of Starvation

The Sapphire Winery of Treachery

The Defiled Ebon Race Track

The Bronzed Hopper of the Dead

The Plundered Amber Powder Room

The Green Forge of Misery

The Malachite Confessional of Frostbite

The Ultramarine Passage of Broken Dreams

The Lost Azure Chapel

The Ochre Toilet of Vivisection

The Tarnished Incinerator of the Vampire

The Grey Corridor of the Dead

The Undisturbed Colorless Incinerator

The Ruby Bar of Binding

The Translucent Mortuary of Mutilations

The Dank Ultramarine Runway

The Profaned Red Reliquary

The Sable Conservatory of Demons

The Defiled Malachite Brig

The Ruby Garbage Compactor of the Old Gods

The Olive Drab Cloakroom of Confusion

The Charcoal Passage of Abandon

The Green Chamber of the Gibbet

The Cobalt Meat Locker of Pain

The Coral Cloister of the Vampire

The Argent Aquarium of the Void

The Translucent Conservatory of Failure

The Brown Tomb of Dishonor

The Disquieting Cobalt Shrine

The Ivory Gallows of Famine

The Twisted Brown Office

The Untouched Jaundiced Basement

The Trashed Cerulean Laboratory

The Ultramarine Garbage Compactor of the Flayed Victim

The Ochre Laboratory of Defilement

The Bloody Ermine Gallery

The Flooded Red Passage

The Vermilion Runway of Murder

The Tarnished Meat Locker of Horror

The Dusty Brown Brig

The Encrusted Jaundiced Pantry

The Doomed Emerald Cell

The Rose Lounge of Consumption

The Pestilential Gunmetal Cell

The Lightless Tarnished Toilet

The Copper Gallows of the Vampire

The Brown Armory of Anguish

The Splendid Coral Aquarium

The Dripping Green Basement

The Miserable Cobalt Hopper

The Lifeless Garnet Ossuary

The Puce Vat of Execution

The Scarlet Race Track of the Faithless

The Indigo Hopper of Undeath

The Red Conservatory of Shame

The Ruby Bath of Burning

The Smelly Red Shaft

The Untouched Sable Armory

The Dreaded Sable Bar

The best so far in any run has been "The Sapphire Vestibule of the Old Gods". As my brother said, that's not a room, it's a campaign. Among the funniest was "The Sordid Maroon Lounge", to which my wife said, "I've been there."

A Dutchman and a Scotsman walk into Salvation Army. No, really, I was there. So they're standing in line waiting to pay for their stuff. The Dutch guy is holding this hot pink visor and the Scottish guys asks, "You're not really going to buy that are you?" The Dutch guy says, "Why not, you're going to buy that." The Scotsman holds up this plaid robe and says, "This is a very nice dressing gown. I'll look good in this robe. It's McDonald but it'll do."

Today is my last day here. The final straw: my use of profanity during an excruciatingly frustrating situation on Saturday. The situation they don't care about. Swearing they do.

I'm done.

I have no idea what I'm going to do next, but whatever it is beats prison, which I was bound for when I killed someone here. :straight:

So we're celebrating my birthday at a theme pizza restaurant. It's my mom, aunt Dinda, Grandmother, cousin Kim, and my Ex's cousin Cindy. The food has been ordered, it's pretty good the place is crowded. My mom is talking about how much she misses this place. Cindy is upset that she didn't get to order for herself. Kim is talking to her in a quiet voice trying to calm her down while she keeps raising hers and shouting. The people look at us. I'm getting so mad I can barely see straight.

Now I'm outside, watching as if it's television. There is a nearly life-sized model train that says "Reading Railroad"... it's pewter colored, with similar metallic figures of passengers. A man in a suit and hat, two children holding hands and pointing as they run.

My mother is placing two elastic hair bands -the kind with the metal clasp, entwined - on the engine as it prepares to leave. I can hear children playing on a playground. She's obviously not supposed to be there and she calls to us that she's almost done and then she hustles off. The view pulls towards the linked hair bands and I can sort of see her leaving, the sound of children gets louder as if a "very special" episode of my life is ending.

now I'm awake.

man is it hot outside.

My friend sent an email looking for work in a hospital in a small SA country town/city. His email had at the bottom something like "if you'd like to see my resume, just ask".

The only thing was...he spelt the word "resume" wrong.

The word he used was regime -- authortarian style government -- instead of "resume". Phonetically, regime would be kinda correct. "if you'd like to see my regime, just ask". Not the typical way to ask for work in a country-town hospital.

Why does it feel like I've taken this subject twice at uni before? Sure it has a slight different focus and a different name (previous was an IT subject on business process re-engineering, the other on computer-based accounting). *sigh*

The day after I quit my job, and most likely my career, my dad just happened to be visiting. We talked a lot and ... well, long story short, it looks like I'm moving back to Kentucky. Dad has a house there that he has been renting out and I can live there. It's the town where I went to college and where I was born. So I'm returning to the town that most resembles a home to start again. Not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe I can get a job in a kitchen, or a bakery. Or maybe I can marry a rich widow. Who knows?

My life is a reset button.

Ok...let the mocking begin.

I'm taking 6 credits, 5 classes this term

So far? 3 A's and C...

I got the C in Filing which is slightly more than Alphabetizing, but only slightly. It's an interesting class on an academic level, but in the few offices I've actually worked in this kind of organization would be met with confusion and grumbling.

Oh and I missed a B by 1 point. 169 pts out of 200...cut off for B is 170...wich is odd since I got an...84.5%? Oh well.

I am registered with a group that recommends restaurants and places to have meetings/seminars etc.

So they put out an e-mail saying that the first 300 people who apply can visit 10 places in London and get a free Margarita. They have to identify the mystery ingrediant. I applied but the book did not come until last night.

Now I am no expert on margaritas so I tried a normal one and then the free one. Quite nice.

Then moved onto a second location and tried another.

Both places were nice and I felt that the service was really good.

Of the 10 locations I have found 4, will need to make a bit of a trek to get to a fifth, am pretty certain I can find a sixth and will need to do some map reading to find the others.

Late one night, while walking across campus in Boulder, I walked past a guy going the other way. I smiled and nodded and said, "Nice night, huh?"

He gaped at me with wild eyes and replied in a hoarse voice, "The Kingdom of God is at hand!"

I stared back at him for a moment, then slowly said, "Yeah... but it's a nice night, huh?"