A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

My regular posting has come to a stand still following a change of loaction. At work we are now on the 8th floor. And my bosses are all around me. So they can see what I am doing. Ho hum.

The rep computer is on the 2nd floor in the server room which did not get relocated so I need good reasons not excuses to visit there and hit the posts.

First thing in the morning is good as I can check how things are in the room. Otherwise my frequency will decrease.

On the plus side, now I have a view of the BT Tower, the London Eye and some of the other buildings that make up th skyscape of London

Guest Worldmaker

ON THE BEACH AT NIGHT ALONE

On the beach at night alone,

As the old mother sways her to and fro singing her husky song,

As I watch the bright stars shining, I think a thought of the clef of the universes and of the future.

A vast similitude interlocks all,

All spheres, grown, ungrown, small, large, suns, moons, planets,

All distances of place however wide,

All distances of time, all inanimate forms,

All souls, all living bodies though they be ever so different, or in different worlds,

All gaseous, watery, vegetable, mineral processes, the fishes, the brutes,

All nations, colors, barbarisms, civilizations, languages,

All identities that have existed or may exist on this globe, or any globe,

All lives and deaths, all of the past, present, future,

This vast similitude spans them, and always has spann'd,

And shall forever span them and compactly hold and enclose them.

A bit of Walt Whitman in the morning. Have a good day, folks. :)

I am sure this makes me a throwback.

I find I do not care.

The hotbutton issues of our times cease to interest me.

Tabloid journalism and Internet infortainment have left me blase.

I have my own issues and priorities.

Other people's bete noirs and pet causes are only relevant to them.

That some talking head or signature seeking goon insist I care is laughable.

I am pursuing my own interests and working toward the world I want.

It is not the world of the global information culture.

I would not cry if it ate itself alive.

I just need email, google docs, torah downloads, and a gaming forum.

The rest of it is rubbish.

Guest Worldmaker

If you ever want to learn just how self-centered, selfish, and uncaring of others your average human being can be, try attending a major theme park in a wheel chair. When you're not being tripped over by people who can't be bothered to notice you're there, you'll be constantly engaged in a game of "beat the train to the crossing" by people who, rather than make room for you to pass, will all try to rush in front of you.

And then, when you ram them because they were stupid enough to jump in front of you while you were moving, they'll curse you out for it.

Rant

The "fail" meme has really ceased being funny. It may have been initially, now it has evolved more to angry, bitchy, or mean.

In a sense, the fail meme, fails. It is just simply low-brow culture, and the collective culture on the Internet can be better than the disdain that in endemic in the places like 4chan.

Essays on this phenomenon: NYT, Anil Dash, Andy Baio

Watching Buffy (tVS) has made me appreciate classical Greek mythology a bit more. I can understand its penchant for fabulous beasts as a proto-psychology.

Just as Buffy fought her demons in a physical manifested form* with a metaphor intertwined I can appreciate that classical mythology was likewise. It was probably understood in its era in psychological as well as literal terms. I do know that the Iliad and the Odyssey had a underlying esoteric interpretation and that they were used as examples of "right conduct**" that should be emulated by adolescent men-to-be.

I can easy see Buffy personifying arete as described by Werner Jaeger below**.

*eg high school is hell

** paideia or arete. Wikipedia: "Arete is a concomitant of what it meant to be a hero and a necessary component in warfare in order to succeed. It is the ability to "make his hands keep his head against enemies, monsters, and dangers of all kinds, and to come out victorious." (Werner Jaeger, 'Paideia: The Ideals of Greek Culture' Vol II p56)

A day like any other. Well, except for turning 40 and all at 12:24 am on August 10th. A day which I will celebrate by sleeping in, not going to work, and consuming very yummi German chocolate cake.

But, alas, no one bought me any coconuts.

The Giant Monster problem still vexes me. A friend suggested making Giant Monsters automatons, to give them the Takes No Stun power; that at least would keep them safe from 6d6 double AP tank barages. Another option I've considered is something like +300 PD / +300 ED Armor, Double Hardened, Only vs Real Weapons (-1). On top of a regular PD and ED in the 60 range, that should take care of things without needing a house rule, even if some idiot scores a critical head shot by surprise. Expensive and clunky as hell, though.

Maybe we just need to accept that only Heroes throwing 80d6 attacks or better should have a chance of standing up against Godzilla.

Today, I went to Stern Grove, which is only a few minutes walk from work. I actually went to the concert meadow for the first time. I don't know why I haven't gone there before; it looks pretty cool.

I also went to the beach earlier. Walking in soft sand is a lot harder than I remember. I don't recall struggling before; am I just getting old?

Guest Worldmaker

I will never understand the urge to cover a majority of your body in tattoos. I'm not talking just one or two. I mean, I've got a couple of tattoos.

I'm talking about people who get their arms "sleeved" and cover their torso and neck and (sometimes) face. I don't get the appeal.

I seem to be reverting to Faerie King mode.

Pros: I'm dating somewhere around 5 beautiful women, and seem to be gaining minions.

Cons: I forgot how much playing liege lord can cost

I had a whole lot of fun last weekend.

Got to play with a fire staff and overheard it's owner commenting to a fellow onlooker "See, you can tell he's used to fighting with a staff, some kind of martial arts probably". I spun one of the fire heads off its threading, and suddenly got to play with a fire spear. Much fun, all Fiannaed out in my black leather kilt, sleeveless shirt, gloves and pirate boots, about as fireproof as I get.

one of the high points of the weekend, along with hanging out with the blind Irish fiddle player and singing around the campfire in jukebox mode, just singing requests (mostly shanties & Pogues songs)

I hurt in entirely well deserved and good ways.