A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I was just informed that a work buddy of mine who left WaMu for greener pastures a few years ago, but who I kept in touch with killed herself today.

I can't remember her sister's name...their family lives nearby and I can't recall...I just feel...I'm stunned I never would have suspected. I don't have any details, though. It's just weird. I went to her facebook page and saw messages from friends...sad, disbelieving messages.

I'm numb.

This forum, let alone the boards as a whole, are too busy for me to keep up with. I frequently find myself dropping out of threads simply because the pace doesn't let up. I must let up. I really want an NGD filter that will allow me to focus on entertainment/amusement/information threads and weed the political hullabaloo out. Most of it doesn't apply to me, anyways.

When administering CPR, it is recommended that you use 100 compressions per minute. In a one-minute PSA from the American Heart Association, they instruct that, in the event of cardiac arrest, to perform chest compressions very hard to the beat of "Staying Alive."

Ironically enough, "Another Bites the Dust" also has roughly 100 beats per minute.

To buy Captain America: Reborn or not to buy, that is the question.

Whether tis wiser to wait for all reviews at the end of the tale and hope it turns out well, but risk making it seem as if I care not for Steve, or purchase them madly and risk getting stung again, that is the question.

One of the few perks I get as a librarian is Advanced Reader Copies. The latest one i picked up had a title too good to resist: Confections of a Closet Master Baker. It's a non-fiction piece written by a former Hollywood insider who left the scummy scene of La La Land behind to become a baker in Vermont. The author's name isn't one I recognized so I didn't really think anything of that and quickly forgot it.

As she starts to tell of her life and her fabulously gifted and beautiful sister, Sandy, who made it in Hollywood nearly instantaneously, I begin to wonder who Sandy really is. The author's name, Gesine, comes up and I start thinking "That's an odd name, is that a typo?" So I look on the front cover and read her full name again: Gesine Bullock-Prado. Holy cow... Bullock? Sandy Bullock..? Sandra Bullock is your famous, beautiful sister?? I LOVE HER! :love: :love: :love:

More appropriately, Sandra Bullock was the woman I obsessed over for many years. Now I feel like the typical schmuck she describes in the book. At least Gesine paints a very flattering picture of sandy, so i do'nt have to have any fantasies crushed. Hell, by the end of this I could develop a crush on the baking sister! :D

I was watching some old-school Star Trek last night. The episode was called Mission: Earth. It was from one of the later seasons. In it, the Enterprise goes back in time to 1968 to do a survey mission, but they intercept the transport beam of a guy named Gary Seven. Gary is a human who was taken from Earth by an unknown alien race and trained to be their agent on Earth, to help humanity get through this war-like period of history. He has an intelligent cat named Isis (who can transform into a gorgeous brunette), and a secretary named Ms. Lawson.

At the end of the episode, Kirk makes an offhand remark along the lines of, "Well, according to the historical records, Mr. Seven and Ms. Lawson have a long series of adventures together!"

So is it just me, or did that episode seem like the pilot for another series that never quite got off the ground? Sort of a sci-fi "Man From UNCLE"?

Synchronicity: I just read a book called Limbo of the Lost by John Wallace Spencer. It's about The Bermuda Triangle and other areas where ships and planes have disappeared. The next book I grabbed to read was Rocket To Limbo by Alan E. Nourse. It's about a rocket ship sent out to find another ship that disappeared. Then I watched Blade Runner and saw this in the credits: With Thanks To William S. Burroughs And Alan E. Nourse For The Use Of The Title Blade Runner. I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as coincidence, that everything happens for a reason. It's just hard to figure out the reason for something that seems so insignificant.