A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason, the song "Proud Mary" reminds me of bananas, specifically green ones. It's tied to some half-forgotten memory when I was a child. Was I eating a banana while listening to the song? Did I just see a banana commercial just before? I can't remember. I have snatches of memories watching TV in my aunt's house or sitting on the porch in my house. I don't know; it could be a combination of the two. But there it is.

I have figured it out.

I am timesick.  I am not homesick; I wax nostalgic every now and again, but have had no misgivings about my travels, and am reasonably happy where I am.

I am not yearning for my long-dead youth; I was one of the few fortunate enough to have squandered it exactly like I wanted to.

I am timesick.  I yearn to return to a very specific fleeting era.  I do not care where physically I would be in that era; I do not care who would or would not be with me.  I do not care if I would still be sixty-three or even penalized another thirty years for the trip.  Those are not related to what my soul cries our to revisit.

I am timesick, and there is no sort of travel or friendship or hobby or tawdry one-night stand that can treat it.  It has taken over a decade, but I finally figured out what is wrong with me.

This sucks.

Edited by Duke Bushido

For somw reason- and for the last twenty years-  the period from about '78 to '86 or so.

Colorful, a million kinds of music, way less people, way more personal interaction, and the news was the news..  I cant give you any reason that makes sense.  I have just spent a lot of time really wanting it all over again.

Congratulations to our cousins across the pond on the coronation of their new king.  While royalty may not be our cup of tea (which we'd have probably dumped it in the harbor like a bunch of reprobates anyway), I can respect that it is a key part of your culture and is part of what makes you the incredible allies you are.  May his reign be as awesome as his mother's.

Edited by BoloOfEarth