A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

(the caps are from the site I got this from) - Tonight i' listening to music more than I have been for a time. I'm really into Pretenders' "Talk of the Town", Maggie Estep "Hey Baby", Damned "I Feel Alright", Police "Message in a Bottle", and Missy E "Get Ur Freak On" - been thinking of these earlier tonight, glad to play them all.

SUCH A DRAG TO WANT SOMETHING SOMETIME

ONE THING LEADS TO ANOTHER I KNOW

WAS A TIME WANTED YOU FOR MINE

NOBODY KNEW

YOU ARRIVED LIKE A DAY

AND PASSED LIKE A CLOUD

I MADE A WISH, I SAID IT OUT LOUD

OUT LOUD IN A CROWD

EVERYBODY HEARD

'TWAS THE TALK OF THE TOWN

IT'S NOT MY PLACE TO KNOW WHAT YOU FEEL

I'D LIKE TO KNOW BUT WHY SHOULD I?

WHO WERE YOU THEN, WHO ARE YOU NOW?

COMMON LABOURER BY NIGHT, BY DAY HIGHBROW

BACK IN MY ROOM I WONDER, THEN I

SIT ON THE BED, LOOK AT THE SKY

UP IN THE SKY

CLOUDS REARRANGE

LIKE THE TALK OF THE TOWN

MAYBE TOMORROW, MAYBE SOMEDAY

MAYBE TOMORROW, MAYBE SOMEDAY

YOU'VE CHANGED YOUR PLACE IN THIS WORLD

YOU'VE CHANGED YOUR PLACE IN THIS WORLD

OH BUT IT'S HARD TO LIVE BY THE RULES

I NEVER COULD AND STILL NEVER DO

THE RULES AND SUCH NEVER BOTHERED YOU

YOU CALL THE SHOTS AND THEY FOLLOW

I WATCH YOU STILL FROM A DISTANCE THEN GO

BACK TO MY ROOM, YOU NEVER KNOW

I WANT YOU, I WANT YOU BUT NOW

WHO'S THE TALK OF THE TOWN?

What an odd event tonight...

my friend asked me to go to a party he's DJing. Okay. So I went. He wasn't there when I got there (and I thought I went fashionably late), so I'm hanging out and realize...this is pretty much a nearly-all-lesbian party. Not that it matters, but it's surprising. Anyway, in that context, as I'm hanging out by myself (I don't know anyone but my friend) this woman comes up to me and starts talking, with a corny sort of lead-in "Having fun yet?" as I'm standing by myself. So I chat, no big deal, after all, she must be a lesbian. She's extremely well built and, ahem, healthy I must say...

Then a bit later, as I'm hanging out with my friend who has shown up, she comes up to me and starts talking again. Then out of nowhere she asks my sexual orientation, and I respond, but ask why she's asking. She says bluntly, "Because I want a penis, not p***y".

Ahem!

Well, I had no idea what to say. I think I said something like "Oh." I also think I looked around dumbly. But just seconds later some friend of hers come by and scoops her up.

Later on, just before I'm about to leave, she stops by as I'm hanging out near the DJ's table and says "Well, here we are again." I have no idea what may have come next, but I said I was headed out and being married and all, well, it didn't seem like a good idea. we did a friendly half-hug and I left.

That was odd, but ego-gratifying. I wish I were at least a little smoother with women, though, just so I could come up with some witty repartee. Perhaps I at least have a naive charm...

Oh, here's the really odd thing - she has the EXACT same name as a woman I knew in school who was sexually quite active very early on (like 6th grade) and who later in life was renowned for an emergency room visit for an unfortunate incident with a frozen hot dog.

(Yes, I will tell my wife about this, it's no secret or anything)

Just a castaway, an island lost at sea, oh

Another lonely day, with no one here but me, oh

More loneliness than any man could bear

Rescue me before I fall into despair, oh

I’ll send an s.o.s. to the world

I hope that someone gets my

Message in a bottle, yeah

A year has passed since I wrote my note

But I should have known this right from the start

Only hope can keep me together

Love can mend your life but

Love can break your heart

Walked out this morning, don’t believe what I saw

Hundred billion bottles washed up on the shore

Seems I’m not alone at being alone

Hundred billion castaways, looking for a home

Sending out at an s.o.s.

Sending out at an s.o.s.

Sending out at an s.o.s.

Sending out at an s.o.s.

Sending out at an s.o.s.

Sending out at an s.o.s...

And here's one more thing...

I get in a cab tonight, on my way home. The cabbie has not only no clue about the most basic places (there's a 24-hour McDonald's near my house, most cabbies know it because, after all, it's 24 hours), but he doesn't even know the MOST basic thing about the sequence of numbered streets, or he's trying to stupidly rip me off. As he veers the wrong way in getting me home (I won't go through all the details) just after I tell him exactly which way to turn, I say, "If you don't know where to go, then do what I tell you." He pleads "You live around here, I don't know." I have to say, "You're a cab driver, it's your job to know, and besides it's simple, 8th is THAT way." Bear in mind, dear reader, that the streets East-West go in a very simple pattern, the numbers increase as you go West or East of the river; it's THE most fundamental thing about traveling in Portland.

There's been an AWFUL lot of this lately. I'm pretty tired of cabbies who not only don't speak English but have absolutely no idea whatsoever and worse yet DO NOT LISTEN.

Oh, yeah, "Lick Shots"! Missy E and Timbaland, total funk for the 00s...

[Missy]

Ugh, Ay yo Timberland, see what they don't understand

Is we about to flip our whole style on `em for two double zero

one

(Ay!)

And for those of you who hated (Ay!)

You only made us more creative

[Timberland]

Misdemeanor Ugh!

[Missy]

You don't wanna speak my name

Mess around get that ass blown away

Blaaah!

Fool gone away

I didn't even like your tail anyway

Missy got somethin' to say

I ride down the block in an escalade

Bling bling all in your face

I think you might need to put on your shades

Blaaah!

I know you feel me tho

You hatin' on me, but you hear me tho

Twenty inch rims sittin' crazy low

AAAAHHHHHHH! I'm a crazy ho

I'm a keep the party live

Me and Timbaland gonna flip it tonight

Keep yo hands in the sky

Wave `em round like your crazy high

[Chorus]

Hugh!

Time to lick shots

Time to see you dance

Hey you, why you frontin'

Blaaah!

Time to lick shots

Time to see you dance

Hey you, why you frontin'

Blaaah!

[Missy]

You don't know who I be

You mammy tell you not to f**k wit me

If I give you head you'll never leave

Raaah!

Stop sweatin' me

Flip it on the black hand side

Look it here boy, don't you even try it

Make me dislocate your spine

My rings put your shine like turpentine

What you comin' around hang out fo?

Baby him know, you just want my dough

Get cha black ass on the flo

Fool touch me, that's a no no

Raaah!

Mr. DJ won't you play that song

Tell the freaks shake they nasty thongs

Hey boys won't you sing along

Cause we gone rock the party til' the early morn

[Chorus]

Y'all don't hear me (hot)

You got your guns but you don't scare me (ooooooh)

Originality is leary (ugh)

My only style and I ain't sharin' (back up, back up.easy now)

Hey Y'all (hot)

Let's turn it up and tear the club down (ugh)

Grab your drinks and give me two rounds (zooooo)

I'll break you off I'm goin' down down

Watch yourself, I'm about to turn it up

[Chorus]

[Music plays a little]

[Chorus]

[Music fades until end]

Last one - it's 3:23 AM and this is SHAKING THE HOUSE...hope the cops don't come...

(seriously, I am even totally sober)

Head banga, hit me

Hit me, hit me

Hit me, hit me

Yeah, hit me

Gimme some new s**t, yeah

Gimme some new s**t

Missy be puttin' it down

I'm the hottest 'round

I told y'all mother-ooh

Y'all can't stop me now

Listen to me now

I'm lasting twenty rounds

And if you want me (n***a) then come and get me now

Is you with me now?

Then biggie-biggie-bounce

I know you dig the way I sw-sw-switch my style

(Holla) People sing around

Now people gather 'round

Now people jump around

Chorus:

Go, get ur freak on

Go, get ur freak on

Go, get ur freak on

Go, get ur freak on

Go, get ur freak on

Go, get ur freak on

Go, get ur, get ur, get ur, get ur, get ur freak on

Repeat Chorus

Who's that b***h?

People you don't know

Me and Timbaland been hot since twenty years ago

What the dealio?

Now what the drilly, yo

If you wanna battle then (n***a) let me know

Holla, gotta feel me son

Let me throw you some

People here I come

Now sweat me when I'm done

We got the radio shook like we got a gun

Repeat Chorus

(Zornwil comment - listen up, the next bit is pure gold)

Quiet!!

Shhh, hush your mouth

Silence when I spit it out, ... in your face

Open your mouth, give you a taste

Holla, ain't no stoppin' me

Copywritten, so don't copy me

Y'all do it, sloppy-ly

And y'all can't come close to me

I know you feel me now

I know you hear me loud

I scream it loud and proud

Missy gon' blow it down

People gon play me now, in and out of town

Cause I'm the best around with the crazy style

Repeat Chorus

(last one, I promise!)

PS - this is really seriously a great song, I love the whole skip-break beats, how Timbaland actually breaks the rhythm up, experimenting with momentary arhythmia and using Missy E's shrieck over suspended moments, simply the best in commercial hip-hop I think at that time, though I haven't listened to much of that recently.

Guest Worldmaker

My wife's been power dieting since the birth of our son. She's told me that she suspected that I just didn't find her attractive because of the weight she put on and all that rot. (And I told her it was rot... she's the most beautiful woman I've ever met, and I just don't see what she's talking about.)

She was out with my mother, picking up candle-making supplies and looking into bridesmaid dresses (my brother is getting married in September). While waiting near the checkout for my mother to finish, she began chatting with the guy behind the register.

According to her, this guy was young, tall, thin, and rather easy on the eyes.

And apparently after ten or so minutes of chatting, he asked her out.

If I had known this was all it would take to get her to stop obsessing about her weight, I would have paid someone to ask her out months ago.

Netflix, you evil, evil people. First, I accidentally order nothing but an entire collected TV series, when I just wanted the second DVD. Then, the third DVD is scratched, leaving me with the rest of the series sitting around as I wait for the replacement. Arghh!

(seriously, I love Netflix nonetheless).

Working with Glass is weird, more alchemy than science, or even Art. You never know EXACTLY what will happen, there are so many variables in the glass, in the heat, whether you managed to wipe all the fingerprints off...

Looks like one of my things turned out pretty cool, I'll know for sure in a couple hours. The kiln is still at 150 deg F, I have no interest in handling the glass. :(

Guest Skaramine

I feel terrible. Last night, getting off the phone with my girl, she didn't hear me say "I love you."

Then last night, getting off AOL with her, I logged off before I told her "I love you" before going to bed.

She's worried that I'm forgetting the little things, the little rewards. I feel awful.

This has been a big HERO boards day for me. And I'm still not quite caught up!

I posted 177 messages in the last 24 hours - not including this one. (PS - just to be clear, it's not like I track this normally, but I realized how much time I'd spent today and did a quick search just to figure out the number for interest's sake) (PPS - at the time this was written, it was 177, but aside from a couple or so posts since this, I also just deleted one, so if you are fact-checking, there's the rub)

And I actually watched a movie, did laundry, caught on work e-mails from my day off, and packed for the trip. And this catch-up on HERO boards was actually a planned activity for me. So I don't feel like I "wasted" any time. (For a change!)

I'm putting this here because it didn't seem appropriate to open a new thread, but it's something I needed to say.

This is an impulse post so please bear with me. And please excuse the rambling. I do that when I get a little anxious about things.

An open apology to Worldmaker

So I was talkin' with a friend of mine this weekend. I was goin' off about this one mutual buddy of ours who pissed me off some time back and never acknowledged it. My friend pointed out that this guy had kinda sorta apologized, but I'd blown it off. My retort was that I didn't think it was fair of him to just say "I'm sorry" without anything to back it up, that I didn't think it fair that he got off that easy. My friend called me a butthead (she's good about stuff like that). She said I was just being stubborn and standing on a principle that didn't really apply this time. This all came about because I still see the other guy on occasion, and we almost always end up hacking on each other. We don't bad mouth each other when the other isn't around, but we always seem to slip into a heated exchange whenever we're together. She, for one, had had enough.

So on Saturday, at a party of yet another mutual friend, I went up to the guy and stuck out my hand. I told him that I'd been stubborn and that if he honestly felt he could put the issue behind us, I'd certainly try to do the same. He again apologized (and again it wasn't specific) but it seemed relatively sincere, so I did the same. We might not be as close as we once were but I think we made a good start.

You can see where I'm going with this, right?

Yeah, it got me to thinkin'. I did the same exact thing with you, Jack. It didn't really matter if you acknowledged the specific issue I was upset about. What mattered is that you at least made some effort toward resolution. It was my stubbornness and refusal to back down from principle that demanded something more specific, more tangible. It wasn't fair to do that to you and I keep hearing my friend's voice calling me a butthead.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, though it may be too late, is that I'm sorry I was such a butthead about the whole issue between us. It wasn't important for you to address whatever specific issues I had. It was importat that you apologized, and it should've been enough. I'm sorry that it wasn't.

You don't have to reply, or to accept or anything else. I'm honestly not trying to take any high ground here. I guess I needed something similar much closer to home to show me how I'd been acting about it, though, and now that I've had my eyes opened (so to speak), it wouldn't be fair to not say something. Despite my claims to the contrary I'd been holding a grudge, albeit one that I wasn't really aware of. My sense of justice was offended, but that was a burden that shouldn't have been placed on anyone else but me.

So, Jack, consider this an open apology. I may have been right to be upset about the events of last year, but I was wrong in how I handled it.

We might not ever get to the point we were at once before, but I'd appreciate it if we could at least agree to be civil. I always feel a tad bitter, guilty and maybe angry whenever we clash, especially in public. If nothing else I think we have enough commonality in gaming to put the personal stuff aside.

Again, I'll understand if this is too little and too late, but I had to say it while I was thinking of it. If I don't put it out there now I probably never will. I guess I was a little more detached about the whole thing because we've never met, and because with the written medium it's so easy to assign emotions or thoughts that aren't necessarily there. Thus, it was easy to simply not see your side of it.

I still don't like the way things went down at GGU last year, but I've been wrong about my approach. I apologize to you, Jack, for my part in carrying this on, and I apologize to the boards for perpetuating it publically.