A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Guest Worldmaker

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

The walking talking M&Ms in the commercials are voiced by Jon Lovitz (as the red M&M) and J.K. Simmons (as the yellow M&M).

Guest Worldmaker

Aw, man... I've got that damned schoolhouse rock tune stuck in my head again. "A man and a woman had a little baby, yes they did! There were three-ee-ee in the family... and that's a magic number." Now its going to keep me up...

It's sort of interesting to me...I was just thinking on how I recused myself, probably with some creation of ill will, from an emailing list of friends that is often political. I've asked to be removed, then I was sent a few non-political things that I responded to, then it got political, so I again asked to be removed. Probably surprises people here. THe discussions were certainly civil - we all know each other. The problem is that everyone other than I on the list is essentially a liberal version of a dittohead, it's stifling and I end up playing devil's advocate for it. While several people on the list who NEVER SAY A THING - NOT A SINGLE THING - have sent me private e-mails to thank me for taking the libs to task and appreciate the research I would do at times, I felt like it was pretty pointless and most of the time I ended up aggravated as I'd be defending positions I wasn't even really interested in - I just couldn't stand the imbalance and smugmess.

Interestingly, though, as I've asked to be removed and indeed I haven't seen a single note since (I think I just got cut off of all of it, no big loss), no one has ever asked why!

That's one thing I like about NGD; whether I participate or not, different sides will be represented and it makes for - at its best anyway - educational and dynamic reading.

Spam can be clever in its attempts; I was just deleting out the 400+ spam messages in my admin account, and I look at least at all the senders and subjects to be sure they are spam, and stuff I'm not sure I open. I like a couple subjects I saw:

Once upon a time, you were so loving.

Once upon a time. you rocked my world.

I bet that gets a few people, particularly as it appeals to natural paranoia of aging and how relationships get less overtly romantic over time, generally. What was really interesting was that I opened these tough and both feature simple character graphics of a hand with the middle finger held up! No HTML, no embedded graphic, actual character graphics, it's pretty cool.

I'm losing patience with my current audiobook.

[Avery Brooks]I was promised smugglers. I'm on disc 5 out of 7, and there aren't any smugglers! Why? Why? Why?[/Avery Brooks]

It's wierd enough that it's read by the guy who used to host BBC's Ground Force (he's the author). I keep waiting for him to give gardening tips.

Some update on Mage.

I've you've been following this, and I won't blame you if you haven't, the event that made us realize that the problem was more than just his knees was when I discovered that he was terrified of the litter box, and that he'd been using a pile of laundry that was waiting to be washed instead.

Yesterday, Kee enlarged Mage's enclosure and added a litter box with one side cut down to the enclosure. She wanted to give him more room to move about so he could use his legs when we weren't actively exercising him, as well as make the space big enough that we could go in to visit him instead of pulling him out. The litter box was just to see if he would use it. Well, he's using the litter box.

This is a very good sign that he's healing. I'm hoping that having the box will make him work harder at using his rear legs and put some strength back in those muscles.

Doc

Guest Skaramine

I watched Spider-Man 2 today, and my elation was cut by this simple sadness.

The sequel to a superhero movie has the same chance of getting Oscar recognition as a snowflake at ground zero to a nuclear explosion going off on the sun orbiting Hell.

And this film deserves some Oscar recognition, for acting, directing and screenwriting.

Desiderata

White Heat (my lovely wife) found this in a trinket shop in Gettysburg today. Its been around forever, but its wisdom is well-worth sharing.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself to others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real progression in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspiration, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Guest Skaramine

Re: Desiderata

After watching Spider-Man 2 today, and seeing the Catwoman trailer, I have decided I am no longer violently offended at Halle Berry or the producers of that piece of tripe.

Instead, I feel enormous pity for them, for in comparison to Spider-Man 2, they will take a bath in a lake of flames of faint, damning praise and comparisons of being second rate. It would be like releasing Hawk The Slayer the month after Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

Sure, Hawk The Slayer is a fondly remembered, well loved movie, but in comparison to Peter Jackson's epic, it is like quicksilver under the burning flame of a napalm strike.

Guest Worldmaker

Stephen Root may well be one of the funniest men alive.

If you don't know who Stephen Root is, he was the guy who played Jimmy James, the station manager, on NewsRadio, a show I lament the loss of to this day. On that show, he demonstrated a sense of comic timing and off-kilter line delivery so masterful that he absolutely ruled every scene he was in. And considering that he was up against Phil Hartmann, Dave Foley, and Andy Dick, that's saying something.

I was rewatching O Brother Where Art Thou, one of my favorite films, when I suddenly and for some reason for the first time realized that Root plays the blind radio station owner. Now, I've seen this film eleven times so far. That I never noticed speaks of Root's ability to disappear into a role.

Guest Worldmaker

I can only think that Nissan named their ultra-full sized SUV the Pathfinder Armada because it is roughly the size of a battleship.

I think I'm ready for a fun session tomorrow. First of a new campaign that is not going to be all-consuming, a distraction really, but should be good, and I think I have a decent teaser episode which can be played in one sitting, I hope/think.

I was going to post a new topic, but I'm really sick of getting into political discussions so desided a musing would be enough as I don't need responses but I felt like sharing.

Would it be too much for the President to make a public apology? We were told that Iraq had Weapons of Mass Destruction and intentions to use them. To date we have found a Seren gas shell and non-weapons grade nuclear material. The 9/11 Comission has revelealed that the CIA was using faulty and extremely inaccurate intelligence.

The President lied (unbeknownst to him) not to just the country but the whole world. The United Nations simply wanted more time to find these alleged weapons. The US refused to wait and invaded. While Iraq is, debatably, better than it was, at what cost did this improvement come?

I'm glad Iraq no longer has Sadam. I'm glad that the people no longer need to fear being dragged into basements and tortured. But I'm upset that the justifications used to go in were nothing but faulty intelligence reports.

And so, I feel like Bush owes an apology to the international community.

Thursday night I wrote up a character for D&D. I can't talk the guys into trying HEros.

1/2 ogre fighter (haven't played him yet, may do a rewrite) from a coastal area. His primary weapons are Harpoons, he uses javelins and probably a scimitar or some such. He may carry a glaive when he can. He is currently in light armor, and that is how I envision him.

I wanted a modified ranger class, fitted to the aquatic/coastal areas, but the ref isn't too interested in re-writing that. I'll try to talk him into it again.

We are starting at 2nd level, so Mine is a 1st level fighter., +1 ECL for race.

I thought about making the same basic character a half orc with 1 level sorceror, and one level fighter or ranger, then he would get a cable for his harpoon and use shocking grasp on it.

:) :)

Guest Worldmaker

The Gulf of Mexico, as seen from Carabelle Island, Florida, was an amazingly beautiful shade of blue this morning.