A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Friends dragged me to a strip club last night for the first time. Interesting, and not at all what I expected. The girls really didn't do much for me.

Except for one. Wow. I'd almost forgotten that I like girls. Amazing what bitterness and depression can suppress.

Damm, she was cute!

Guest Worldmaker

I've reached that point in Halo in which I am fighting the Covenant, the Flood, and the Sentinels simultaneously. I have to say that I can only take this game for about an hour before my nerves make me turn the thing off. I don't know why, but the Flood creep me out in a way that nothing from any film or game has before. I mean, I wasn't this creeped out by Silent Hill or Event Horizon...

I realize this probable WASN"T said by George Carlin.

Aging, by George Carlin

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is

when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about

aging that you think in fractions.

"How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!" You're never thirty-six and a

half. You're four and a half, going on five!

That's the key.

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the

next

number, or even a few ahead.

"How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!" You could be 13, but hey, you're

gonna

be 16! And then the greatest day of your life ......

..you become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony . . .. YOU BECOME

YESSSS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like

bad

milk. He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're Just

a

sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40.

Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you

REACH 50 . . and your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to

You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a

day-by-day

thing; you HIT Wednesday!

You get into your 80s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch;

you

TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime.

And it doesn't end there. Into the 90s, you start going backwards; "I Was

JUST 92."

Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little

kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!

HOW TO STAY YOUNG

1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height.

Let

the doctors worry about them. That is why you pay them.

2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.

3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening,

whatever. Never let the brain idle. " An idle mind is the devil's

workshop."

And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.

4. Enjoy the simple things.

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.

6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who Is

with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.

7. Surround yourself with what you love, Whether it's family, pets,

keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.

8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable,

improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9. Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next

county;

to a foreign country but NOT to where the guilt is.

10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths We take, but by the Moments

that take our breath away.

And if you don't send this to at least 8 people - who cares?

But do share this with someone. We all need to live life to it's fullest

each day.

So I am writing a friend about my opinion of the best summer movie, I say, "I have to go with my inner geek and say Spiderman 2." Then I look around. Within arms reach I have Spycraft, Hero 5th, the UPSD, The Legion and Swamp Thing comics, and my desk has the following figs, Superman, Batman, Buddy Chrst, Darth Maul, Sulver Surfer and a 12" Daredevil (note, thats the desk, I am not turning around to look at the bookshelf). (yes and the WB's Taz is my 3.5" diskettes) Inner Geek?!?! Who am I kidding.

I went to my old house today to run an errend for Dad. I haven't lived there for about 4 years but did live there for over 20.

As I was coming into the old street I saw a kid walking home from school. I realised that bascially I was seeing myself from the "other side" as I used to walk home from school. What she was seeing I saw countless times.

Pleasently weird.

I Have No Mouse, and I Must Scream

So Sunday afternoon I got a Logitech optical mouse to replace my antiquated one. When I got home from swing shift I TRIED to install it. Apparently I hit something on the tower, or the installation itself botched, but the computer crashed halfway through the process. I tried rebooting, only to find that I couldn't get into the computer because I had NO mouse function at all.

I tried using BIOS, but it still brought me back to an intro screen that I couldn't pass because I had no mouse. For the last three days I've had no access to a computer.

I was BEYOND pissed.

Plus which, because I work swing shift (Have I ever mentioned how much it SUCKS to work swing shift? Have I ever mentioned how much it sucks to work swing shift late afternoon behind a glass window in a gatehouse? Have I ever mentioned how much it sucks to work swing shift late afternoon behind a glass window in a gatehouse in Las Vegas when it's 106 degrees in the shade and steaming humidity at night?) I couldn't bring my friend Gary over to look at the thing until Wednesday. And he couldn't figure out what the problem was, since he couldn't get the PC to go into Safe mode.

So we went to the Champions game and asked one of our buddies who's a paid tech, and he asked, "What system is this?" "Windows 2000." He said, "In that system you use F8 to get into Safe mode and go from there. Check to find the last operational format on record."

And we said, "Eh, well, yeah, we COULDA done that..."

After the game, we came back to my place and it did indeed work the way our pal said. However, I haven't been able to update any of my stuff (like the Turakian Age forum), and for some reason I now need to update my drivers. Which means I can't go on City of Heroes tonight. (Gary and I have pretty much agreed that I am not to alter or install any new software, and should only insert CDs with a five-foot hook.)

JG

Self Realization

So, I am taking a night class for drawing and the community college. Being a community college the class is a pretty broad cross-section. During the break I am sitting between two groups. On my right are three attractive college-going females taking some electives over the summer. On my left are two older members of the class talking with the teacher. To the right they are discussing the the travails of college, balancing drinking with class-work, living in dorms, all that. To my left, the trials, tribulations and cost of home-ownership. I almost cried when I joined the conversation to my left because it was a conversation I related to better.

Guest Skaramine

I bought five Harris firearms magazines on Monday. Three different editions of Special Weapons, a copy of Combat Handguns (a really thick issue) and the 2004 Complete Book of Handguns.

So many pretty bangie things out there... including two different .50 caliber M-16's.

Ahh... life is good!

If your manager truely hates a fellow employee for their "Me First" attitudes, why would they consider hiring another pwerson she considers to have "very similar attittudes"? Is it merely to make your life a living hell? Or is it a sick scientific experiment where the manager inquestions wants to see if the two employees would literally tear each other apart...

Tomorrow, we're getting our front door replaced. Yipee!

I don't think the old door has ever sealed well. When the weatherstripping came off the bottom of it and wouldn't go back on (in the middle of winter) it was time to get rid of it.

Now we're just hoping that the condo association doesn't force us to paint the new door the same shade of dog feces brown that they insisted on painting the old door. "But it matches the color of your unit!" "Lady, the only thing on my house that looks like dog poop is the Door!"

Doc

I have been moved to tears by the number of PMs and e-mails begging me to return and demanding hysterically why I had suddenly disappeared. Gentle friends I have been house hunting and will be again next week. I had not thought to mention it as you might find it dull. However this time a bit of a warning. So steal yourself for sudden and unexplained 'Absence of Death Tribble' but know that my orbiting space platform can get you wherever you are at any time.

Ta Ta