World Creation SuperDraft

Harhoog's Guardian, which We draft today, is something like a Hatuibwari, and legendary creature in Melanesia, described as a human-headed serpent with clawed arms, extra eyes, and bat wings. We'll keep that name since its description isn't grossly off, and We like Pacific folklore as a source.

wolf-eel.jpg

Harhoog's Guardian, Hatuibwari

More accurately, it is a Wolf Eel with a pair of membranous wing-fins normally kept folded and out of sight, and the whole thing scaled up to be about a mile long. His teeth are strong rather than sharp, and his bite crushes rather than severs.

While he can do serious damage if it comes to that, mostly his job is one of challenger rather than enforcer. This is the Trickster's Guardian, remember. If it suits, he would prefer to overwhelm an offender with riddles, bad jokes, confusing innuendo, and weapons-grade puns. Of course, if the situation needs a tag-team approach, he can call in his cousine Ergoline and they can take strongly contrasting demeanors.

7320403_f520.jpg

Cousine Ergoline

In classical Mediterranean folklore this is what the Sphinx was supposed to be, but obviously the Sphynxter got a little too into the punishment thing and forgot her roots. We prefer more emphasis on long-term confusion, since it seems more like trickery and is far more educational in the long run that merely killing someone. Consequently, Hatuibwari's opening manifestation may look somewhat familiar:

statler-and-grandpa-wolf-eel-001.jpg

The front page said Facebook coding has gone bad. Took me a while to get on myself. I notice that L. Marcus has sort of sniped me. I have to think of a new thing to give the world. I will come up with something tonight to add to the world

Thanks Sociotard for taking over the GM spot. 

Tell Log man to take it easy, E

CES

Hope nothing's wrong with the Commish, from the wording it sounds like he suddenly got a ton of work dropped on his plate.

Anyway my pick for today is ...

Mythic Monster or Guardian:  The Guardian, the largest and most powerful Aether-ship ever seen, nearly two kilometers in length. 

The Guardian's armor is strong enough shrug off all but the most powerful energy blasts with no ill effects, while her own crystal cannons can bring down large warships with a single hit. Fast as a falcon, yet agile as a hummingbird, The Guardian is a match and more for whole fleets of aether-ships. She always appears when one of the main islands are threatened, and then will disappear into the clouds once the danger is past. Who or what crews her is unknown.

It is called simply The City. Legend has it that all the Gods and races were involved in its creation. The most accepted version goes like this.

The God of War, Diplomacy, Weaving and Commerce visited the God of Earth and asked him to find a suitable location. Then once this was accomplished a call went out to the others. ‘Brothers, Sisters it is time’

The Gods gathered and sent out a summons through oracles and dreams and their children came. Giants, Dwarves, Dragons, the Kallu’un Qaroof, Sky Elves, Brownies, the Aleph, Paladians and humans. They saw each other and thought of fighting but then they saw the Gods and felt afraid. Wisdom, Peace and Diplomacy prevailed.

The God of War, Diplomacy, Weaving and Commerce spoke unto them ‘We have gathered you here at this place to build a city. It shall be a port so people can come and go over the sea. It shall have an eyrie for the Palladians to roost. It shall have a palace of wisdom for the Aleph. It shall have an underground cavern filled with water for the Kallu’un Qaroof and a sacred area by the port for the Sea Born. The Giants shall have a hall of Winter. The Dwarves will have craft halls. Hobbits will have restaurants and Inns. The Brownies may come and go unobserved and have their own private place unknown and unknowable to the other races.

The Sky Elves will have a dock for their ships and universities to spread their knowledge. There will be rivalry between the these places of learning so that they will race airships in a yearly non-combative way..

Those under Arepo's way shall have the Place of Silence so that the living will not molest them and that they can exist without molesting others

The Satyrs and Nymphs will have the Joyful Glades in which to frolic

[EDITOR’S Note I will add special areas for other races if other people let me know]

To prevent jealousy amongst us and all of you the name of the city will be Metropolis. It will be for all the peoples as everyone of our children refers to themselves as people.'

The city has temples to all the Gods. It is a port and has a dockyard to make and repair ships. It can also feed itself it is so vast. It may not have the finest example of any building on the world but it has probably the ones that are the most well known to all races. Libraries, brothels, hospitals, schools, restaurants, inns, warehouses, shops, markets, granaries, breweries, mills, bakeries, furnaces, stables, forges, smithies, reservoirs, aqueducts, bath houses, a cemetery, tanners, funeral directors, tax collectors, a thieves guild, a Spanish Inquisition, yup you name it, the city has it. It does have the best Olive groves though.

The aspect of the Owl pretty well clinches it. I'm just sad they aren't sentient clockwork owls.

IF you want to make some Palladians into clockwork owls as your interference pick I can live with that. Just not the entire race as it ruins the whole idea. Say one tribe who violated one of your temples or hurt your people ?

I'm keeping my mythic beast in reserve to see what the interference picks are.

Okay, I've decided on my interference pick.

Interference: The Dream Realm is an Otherworld

It came to pass that the god of Magic and Dreams found a Brownie in place where dreams were made, and he was wroth, for he had made dreams to be seen, but not touched and experienced, but not shared.

He brought the brownie to its maker and asked "God of Travels and Hospitality, what have you done?"

And the god of hospitality offered the god of magic a place at his table, and sweet breads and wine. And when the food was shared he said that he had opened the place of dreams to journeys, for daring journeys pleased him, and no journey could be more so. He told the god of Dreams that even this realm could show a bit of hospitality.

Normal people have dreams

Practiced people can actually control their dream space, and protect against what gets in.

Very practiced people can leave their part of the dream (your own dreams are like a foyer, or a small room in a great building). Magic can aid this. Outside their own dreams, they see that the dream world includes a mirror of the real world (good for scouting and spying), and also includes strange and impossible vistas, dream creatures and nightmares, and overall a world bigger and broader and stranger than the waking world. be careful, you can die or go mad out here.

Advanced people can find other people's dreams. Couriers are hired to use this to bring telecommunications or even mass communications. 

Legendary people and brownies can enter physically. This is one of the main ways brownies sneak into places to do chores and/or work mischief.

This entry is subject to adjudication as I PM'd Log about this before we knew he would be away.

The God of the Earth and The God of Craftmanship were conversing about the Dwarves when they found themselves joined by the God of War.

‘It concerns me that the Dwarves could be vulnerable to the other races during warfare. The Sky Elves are only at risk from The Palladians or anyone else who can get hold of a sky ship. The humans can get anywhere and pose perhaps the biggest risk to any race although the size of the Giants protects them. The sea protects the Sea Born and the Kallu’un Qaroof as most of our children do not care to look under the waters. The Brownies are protected by their invisibility. But the Dwarves could be drowned or killed in avalanches or collapsing their homes in efforts to force them out into the open. If however they had something to trade, something that is only found in their domains and that only they could fashion into something the other races would be more respectful of them. What I intend involves both of you as I wish to benefit your chosen people by placing something in the earth that they can mine and then fashion it into jewellry and other things. Our colleague the God of Wisdom can attest whether the Dwarves will use this gift wisely.’

Then the God of War placed a new metal in the earth.

The Dwarves were amazed to find to find new veins of an unknown metal in the mines. They extracted it and then tried to decide what to do with it.

‘How about bells ?’ said one.

‘Bells ?’

‘Yes. We make seven for ourselves, give nine to the humans, three to the Sky Elves etc. And you make a song for all the chimes you do, you know

One Ding to sound recall

Two dings for the dinner hall

three dings to start a brawl

and four to deafen them’

The Dwarves looked at each other and then as one said ‘No bells.’

Guided by the Gods they then had the idea to make armour and shields from this metal. It was lighter than any other they had worked on but its strength was great. Additionally if rings were fashioned from it when magic enchantments were placed upon them they were marvellously effective. But this metal can only be found on dwarven lands by dwarves and can only be fashioned by the dwarves.

The Gift is Mithril.