World Creation SuperDraft

Well let's see what do I have left.

Option and Interference.

I could interfere with the earth god but he gave me armored bears to test my giants. And besides, Sentient Armored Bears are cool. I accept the SAB in my lands.

For my interference...I will delicately tread on the toes of our Fertility Goddess and swipe/modify her nymphs to live better in the lands of the Silver Frost. Also, they might distract the SABs

winter_fairy_by_razielmb-d6z4ss0.png

I could interfere with the earth god but he gave me armored bears to test my giants. And besides, Sentient Armored Bears are cool. I accept the SAB in my lands.

Well, it was either that or Queen Elsa.

I think we can both agree that I made the right choice.

Pick #9: 

Interference: The Vicissitation

Mortals: In order to reflect the scintillating uniqueness of your samsars, your bodies shall be wonderfully diverse even within the many races that inhabit the World.  Your skins and hair will vary in hue from black to silver to bronze; from plain to mottled to striped; from bare to furred to armored to feathered.  You may sport hooves instead of feet; you may sprout tails, fangs, tusks, claws, additional arms, or even wings.  In short, your differences shall be so undeniable that none shall be different; so rare that all shall be common.

Only the most ignorant and cowardly among you will find reason to hate and discriminate based on the form of others.  For though each samsar has its own path to tread, each also has the same destination as its ultimate aim.  Go now, and behold each other in wonderment, fascination, and acceptance.

--translated from the Clarion Stanza of the Wordless Codex

Pick #10:

Mythic Monster or Guardian: The Arrayan and the Maga

Mortals: Of myself I have created two great spirits to enforce my will on the World.

The Arrayan is a spirit of conscience and insight.  Often she takes the form of an iridescent hummingbird that leads lost mortals back to a true path.  Rarely she may take the form of the demigoddess that she is, appearing as a member of any race, heartbreakingly beautiful in her guise as a healer and invincible when appearing as a protector.  More often than not, however, she will merely need to whisper in your ear to provide the revelations that you seek.  For those who choose to listen.

The Maga, conversely, embodies blind ignorance, instinct, and hatred.  Nothing more than a pale, fleshy worm with a maw of ragged teeth, it may be large enough to swallow a kingdom, or small enough to burrow into one's ear.  It comes for those who turn from learning and truth and embrace deliberate ignorance, selfishness, and hate.  These people shall be rewarded by the Maga, who devours not just the body, but the samsar, returning them to the comfortable finality of oblivion they so desperately crave.

--translated from the Stanza of Two Edges of the Wordless Codex

They say the God of Alcohol created it but they are wrong. They say the God of Wisdom had a bout of insanity and created it but they are wrong. They say the God of Magic went on a bender with the God of Alcohol and then created it but again they are wrong. It is the creation of the God of War as the Aleph will testify.

The legend they relate in most cases goes like this:-

The God of Magic was observing a forest when he became aware that the God of War had joined him. 'Are you concerned that the peoples we have created misuse magic ?' asked his guest.

'Why do you ask ?' said the God of Magic.

'Well this for example' said the God of War pointing out a creature of the forest. 'That is not normal. That is not what was originally created'

'Hmm, yes.' said the God of Magic. The creature had been altered significantly and was not what had been intended. Are you suggesting we change it back ?'

'No' said the God of War. 'I'm thinking we should continue the process. Give it some more improvements'

The God of Magic had mixed feelings about this 'Such as what exactly ?'

'Make it able to change its shape. And give it a touch of immortality'

'Why ?'

'We need an enforcer, something to make all the races afraid and this will suit the bill. The races of the water could easily elude it unless we allow it to turn into a shark hybrid able to reach any depth and hunt out all offenders.'

'Anyone who can fly will be able to escape and the Undead could escape as well' replied the God of Magic

'If it can change shape it can have wings. And an enchantment to its natural weaponry will rend any Undead to pieces.'

The God of Magic though its colleague insane but the God of War made the point that those who abuse magic seemed to be able to do it with impunity and this would be a punisher from the Gods.

And so it was The God of War took a humble blasphemy made out of two animals and turned it into one of the most feared things ever. An immortal shapechanger. It haunts the forests in its old form but can take to the air and attack. It can take to the water and attack. And it can shred the undead. But it only does so at the command of the Gods. Otherwise it likes to be left alone.

The Aleph popularised this song which reminds all of the danger.

' If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise.

If you go down to the woods today you won't believe your eyes

For every fear that ever there was

Is gathered there for certain because,

Today's the day the Owlbear has its claws snipped'

The link shows you what he looks like. Just don't call him 'Hooty' or 'Blowfish'

http://celticbolt.deviantart.com/art/Owlbear-The-Teddy-Bears-Picnic-286341325

Optional Domain: borders and liminal states. Entrances and exits, borders between nations, boundaries, places where one terrain gives way another - Arepo stands between all things that have a "between" to stand in.

Interference: Hybridization.

Yes, even the Kalu'un Qaroof with their ability edit their own genetics intelligently, can hybridize with other species if they want to. And as all such people are in-betweeners Arepo the Goddess of Death and Rebirth stands with them. Whoever your mother, Whoever you father, if they were not of the same People as one another, you will be known as a Child of Arepo.

Mythic Hero: Olivus the first child born to have heritage of all the Peoples. The virtues of all the Creator Gods were strong in him but as the ultimate hybrid he was above all the beloved of Arepo. He was a great hero who slew some of the first Outsiders to manifest openly and powerfully, and he will incarnate again and again, often among his own first incarnation's descendents but his line was only the first, not the only, lineage to unite all the world's tribes in one child. In each Age of the World he or she arises and passes away, always finding the tools and wisdom needed to confront the crisis of that Age.

I think I have one more pick.

Lucius Alexander

I already picked palindromedaries didn't I?

I admit, I'm curious what happens when a Brownie hybridizes with a Frost Giant.

I don't think we have Frost Giants, per se. We have Giants who come from a frosty land.

And the offspring of a Brownie and a Giant would be enormous and able to be invisible.

Optional Domain: borders and liminal states. Entrances and exits, borders between nations, boundaries, places where one terrain gives way another - Arepo stands between all things that have a "between" to stand in.

Did I get this optional domain for free? I don't see it taking up a slot. Actually, I think I may want to drop it anyway, or claim it as part of my basic "Death and Rebirth" domain.

Because I want to have these two picks:

Interference on interference: Destructive Outsiders eventually become Constructive Insiders. One cannot be in the world without eventually becoming of the world; it may take an excrutiatingly long  time but eventually the invader, just by interacting with Creation - even just by breathing Arepo's Air - becomes part of it, and then realizes it is part of it, ceases to try to destroy it, and is moved to build it up.

Another Gift to Civilization: Space travel. Our world is rich and varied and beautiful, but the time will come when the children of the Gods are ready to reach for the stars. When the time comes, Arepo the Mistress of Air will teach them to make air tight ships and to keep the air within refreshed and circulated as they journey forth, powered by lift crystals, following the paths pointed out by mathematics, seeking to find out - what ARE the uncreated stars, a mystery even to the Gods? What unimaginable wonders lie out there in the endless void?

Lucius Alexander

copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

Once upon a time, there was a man who revered Pr'Jah and lived in peace with his neighbors. He worked the land and crafted metals to support his family. Then one day, the spectre of War came to his village. He was no warrior, but he was strong and true of heart. Using his metal tools, he stood before the invaders so that his family and friends could escape to safety. He saved numerous lives that day, but ultimately he fell. The invaders left him broken and disfigured, lying at the brink of death. 

Pr'Jah was moved by the man's selflessness and decided to intervene. He bargained with Harhoog, the Trickster, God of Healing, and Dispatcher of Souls, and Arepo, Goddess of Death and Rebirth, to heal the man's wounds and grant him a measure of immortality. They agreed, but when Harhoog restored the man's health, he chose not to remove his disfigurements. The man was grateful for his life and health but despaired at his broken visage. So Pr'Jah gifted the man with the power of the earth itself, making him a powerful near-immortal being. 

The man has spent the intervening centuries fighting to protect the weak and the powerless. He has become a legendary hero, and his name is spoken with gratitude and reverence among those whose lives and families he has saved.

9th pick -- Mythic Guardian: The Hero known as Grimm

502508-thing_brian_haberlin01.jpg

Final choice for Harhoog the Trickster: Our Interference.

We choose to remember the Departed God, and have there be a floating city, a place of unrivalled learning, so that the world will not forget the blessings of the One Who Has Gone. The city will move, discontinuously, vanishing and reappearing far away. We say "floating", and it is most often seen in the sky, but it has appeared on the sea, and even under the sea, and even, it is said, in the vast molten ocean of magma deep inside the world: never anchored, always moving, always given to the brightness of knowledge and thought. The city has its own etherial folk, never seen outside its circle, and those are said to know all answers to all questions, if one can figure out what and how to ask. Few mortals ever see it, and fewer still reach it; those that do are touched by divine genius and create new paradigms, entire new modes of reasoning, to bring insight into the workings of Creation. For there will always be things not yet known, and things sincerely believed to be known but which are in truth false; and the quest for knowledge can never cease unless mortals choose to abandon it. And to stave off that true death, the Departed God's City appears intermittently yet brightly, so that the thirst for learning shall never perish from this world.

The God of Magic was rather put out. He had slept for a bit, it was true, but it seemed great liberties had been taken. Folks claiming obviously magical things weren't REALLY magical , whole sections in other religious texts putting words in his mouth as if he some bit character instead of an equal member of the pantheon,, and even things recognized as magical were often taken liberties with unless he sat another god down and had a chat. The Dream passage had been part of his original plan, and one race that transformed itself was tolerable as it was quite clever. But still...

Where was the respect?

He was indeed a reclusive sort for all his resplendence, but that didn't mean he was devoid of feelings. And after he'd been so nice as to give many races an edge in one magic or another? (Who would have thought they would just keep coming, by the gods the Gods were fond of making audiences) so he glowered.

Why they hadn't even asked him his name. Not that he'd give his true one, but he did have a use name besides 'God of Magic". Just no one had bothered to ask.

It was Faserip Augustus Vance, if you must know.

But all this had him feeling a bit grumpy and sorry for himself.

He almost didn't notice the prayer.

"Lord of Magic Faserip, your humble victim cries for aid"

He turned a fraction of a fraction of his cosmic attention from sulking to see an old woman about to be burned alive.

She was utterly ordinary and devoid of magical talent or training. She did have a phenomenal wart on her nose, really, that was the size of a thumbnail and it was on a pretty big honker. Add to that the wrinkles, the frail bones, and it screamed hag.

"Humble Victim?" He spoke in her mind through dream like images, "You seem not so humble, and how are you MY victim?"

She muttered as they lit the the boughs about her feet, "They think me a witch or wizard! They claim I cast the evil eye upon their leader! I can't help this look, I have resting hag face."

"How is that my fault?" He shrugged.

"They have bad luck and can burn me freely? How can I prove such magic or no? If one trained in magic shows up perhaps, but it's not likely to happen. I am condemned for appearance and convenience for using a magic that does not even exist..."

"Oh, it exists, magic can do anything," Lord Vance the Ineffable assured her, "It's just well, sometimes there are better ways so it is second best... but you know, Jack of all trades, master of Magic.. I am King of the Impossible after all. Sometimes the unlikely is a power all its own." 

"So there's luck magic for real?"

"if there wasn't there is now, thanks for the idea" He began to withdraw.

"WAIT!" She called out as the flames rose up.

"What?" He returned and noticed the flame, "Oh...Fine. You're a Luck Witch. Enjoy."

The Hag felt power flow through her, and concentrated.

A freak downpour began to drench the villagers and put out the flames, what were the odds?

Pretty good it turned out. The storm grew worse, and began raining lightning down on the would be hag cooks.

"I like her, she's petty" He mused, then thinking of something, "The God of wisdom has a temple where secrets of Serendipity are said to be taught. I better send a few of you over there so I don't make a liar out of him. I don't need the grief."

And that was how The God of Magic, dreams, and transformation also became recognized as the Lord of Luck

Last Domain: Luck and Fortune

Oh, and the God's use name is Faserip Augustus Vance!

There is still time to jump in, if you'd like. lots of domains left to pick from.

A kind thought, but I sometimes have to be gone from the forum for the better part of a week at a time. (As I just was.) So, I'll just watch and cheer the results. And there's a lot worth cheering for!

Dean Shomshak