2018 World Cup

Cancer

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit I remember Brazil as dirty players for something like the opposite reason.

In 1994 in the Round of 16 game at Stanford Stadium, Brazil's Leonardo put an elbow into the US's Tab Ramos's head, broke his skull, and Ramos was more than six weeks in the hospital after that.  I haven't seen that gem mentioned even once in any World Cup discussion at all, or any of the "worst of" video assemblies.  I suppose it's because no one of any importance, i.e. no European, was injured.  At least the referee did give a red card, and Leonardo was suspended for the balance of the tournament.

Anyway, I half expect Belgium's playmaker  to be dealt with in kind of the same way by a Brazilian thug tomorrow.  Hope I'm wrong.

Ronaldinho did absolutely nothing wrong on the own-goal conceded to Belgium just now. He couldn't have maneuver the ball from where he was as it came off his shoulder for a crazy deflection. It was just a case of extraordinary bad luck, of the sort that seems to follow Brazil around at this stage in World Cups lately. And for him, it's a dang shame.

Was working through both games today.

France didn't surprise me.

Belgium's victory just woudln't register until I watched the recording.  Unexpected, but not necessarily a bad thing and just possibly this and the earlier upsets will be a wake up call to the "anointed elite" that they may be resting too much on their laurels just as the rest are beginning to catch up.