2018 World Cup

Cancer

Yes, the US wet themselves and didn't make the tournament this year.  Some of us will try to watch anyway.  First game is June 14, the final on July 15, all in Russia.

Today they did the draw for the group stage.  From each group of 4, the top 2 teams advance into single-elimination play leading to the final.

The group draws:

GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco

GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

English media are exceedingly pleased with England's draw: Belgium and England should advance easily.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect Putin to play this for maximum propaganda value. The absence of the USA probably bothers him immensely, because the Americans are one people he definitely wants to impress. ("We're not your enemy. You don't want us to be your enemy.")

It's hard to figure out this year's "Group of Death". There always is one -- a group so potent that it's a real challenge for any of the teams to make it out to the knockout stage. 

Soccer doesn't normally hold my interest

but I'll still pick favorites. Mind you, I have no idea which teams are good and which ones suck.

Group A: I'm cheering on Uruguay because well, they don't tamper with our elections and I'm tired of the Middle East.

Group B: Go Portugal. Because, uhm why not? Little countries need love too

Group C: Australia! I like most Australians I've met online, and they deserve for love just for living in a land where everything seems out to kill them.

Group D: Iceland, because they did to their bankers what we should have done.

Group E: Brazil because, isn't Soccer their game or something?

Group F: South Korea, because they deserve a nice distraction 

Group G: England, because some bloke there will be marrying one of our amazing actresses there.

Group H: Poland , I am told I am 25% Polish (or maybe some other Slavic nationality in hiding)

I'll peek in here now and then and see how my picks are doing.

The chatter I've heard so far is that Mexico got a really adverse draw, with Germany, and Sweden whose play style the Mexicans have generally had trouble with.  The Russian climate will also hurt them: it's cool enough the Europeans can play their all-out-90-minute game without going into heat prostration, which is what happens if you try that in Central or South America.

Group A is ridiculously easy; essentially the bottom-ranked team from each pot (and as host Russia had to be in the first pot) was drawn here.  If there was a fix to make sure Russia made it to the group stage, this is pretty much what would come of that.

The three CONCACAF (North & Central America) teams all got difficult draws.  Group E is nightmarish for Costa Rica, and Panama probably has no chance against the two European teams.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco

GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Russia should get through from Group A

Portugal and Spain should get through Group B

France should get through Group C

Argentina should get through Group D

Brazil should get through Group E

Germany should get through Group F

Belgium and England should get through Group G

Group H maybe Poland.

Yeah, I pretty much know most every country name.  I had an interest in finding out back in college one day, and went about finding out.

Note: I think I started that project, when they laid into Bush during the 2000 election, over not knowing some country's name, and wondered just how much it would take to know such trivia.  (now I couldn't name the capitals, but, I'd probably be 95% on location in the world-aka what continent, or what sea/ocean in the case of Pacific islands and Carribbean nations)

• 2 months later...

I must say, the stadium architecture for the World Cop arenas looks very interesting. It won't matter once the matches are underway (unless due to some massive architectural blunder one of the new arenas falls down mid-match), but the aerial shots will be interesting.

Kaliningrad, in the former East Prussia, hosts four matches in the group stage in a newly-constructed arena that seats just over 35,000.

In an unrelated note, I'm concerned about how non-white players and predominantly non-white teams (like Brazil and the African countries) are going to be treated in a very racist Russian society.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:31 AM, Cancer said:

How has that gone in, e.g., Olympics hosted there in years gone by?

I'm not sure what happened in Moscow in 1980; that was the year that the US boycotted the Games and most of her allies joined them, over the invasion of Afganistan (it's amazing how many of the changes there have been stemmed from that one operation), So the data would be definitely skewed by the absence of these teams.

In Russia's top-flight football league, there is a quota of foreign-born players and the few non-white players in the league are booed incessantly with no intervention from Russian Soccer officials. They also receive many other forms of harassment, subtle or otherwise. Generally speaking, the Russian league is of decent quality but playing conditions are horrible.

• 3 months later...

Matches start later this week.  The time difference is awkward: PACIFIC DAYLIGHT game start times are as early as 3 AM and as late as 11 AM.  Looks like I should be able to see all of it for free on rabbit ears, between Fox in English, and the Spanish language network.  I tend to watch stuff muted, so language makes little difference.

First up: Thursday at 8 AM, Russia - Saudi Arabia.

I don't have a favorite in the tournament, so I'll be rooting against Russia, and for underdogs, North American, and anglophone countries, more or less in that order of preference.  Call me a bigot.