2018 World Cup

Cancer

34 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Poo.

OK, all done.  See everyone in The Desert of Uncounted BonesQatar in four years.

I know it's incredibly unlikely, but I hope FIFA and/or the international community finds a way not to let this happen. With all the graft, conscripted labor, and general unpleasantness associated with the next World Cup, this nation doesn't deserve to host it.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Pariah said:

I know it's incredibly unlikely, but I hope FIFA and/or the international community finds a way not to let this happen. With all the graft, conscripted labor, and general unpleasantness associated with the next World Cup, this nation doesn't deserve to host it.

There was some noise about that, and strangely enough, it was the awarding of the 2026 World Cup to the United consortium (US, Mexico, Canada) that completely stomped it out.

The case was that -- if the stink around Qatar got much worse, to the point it looked like the Cup had to be taken out of there --  the US had the infrastructure to put on a suddenly-reawarded World Cup: there are plenty of stadiums (and they're big ones), lots of tourist accommodations and travel capacity and so forth, and the 1994 World Cup did well here, so that probably a snap change of venue would not lose FIFA (or anyone but Qatar) any money.  Any steam behind this suggestion got punctured when it was decided officially to put the following World Cup in North America; no one would be happy at putting it in more or less the same place two Cups in a row.

Facilities aside, I don't think the United States would be anyone's first choice to host a football tournament of that magnitude on four years' notice. Certainly there are other countries whose citizens care more about the game that could host it. The United Kingdom, for example. Or France, or Germany, or Spain. Or some combination thereof.

Heck, let's have France, Croatia, Belgium, England act as joint hosts in 2022.

... Despite the host nation's lack of a national top-level football league, the tournament was the most financially successful in World Cup history; aided by the high-capacity stadia in the United States, it broke the World Cup average attendance record with nearly 69,000 spectators per game, a mark that still stands. The total attendance of nearly 3.6 million for the final tournament remains the highest in World Cup history, despite the expansion of the competition from 24 to 32 teams (and from 52 to 64 games), which was first introduced at the 1998 World Cup and is the current format.

From the Wikipedia entry for the 1994 World Cup.