2018 World Cup

Cancer

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really want, given stuff in the world, Russia to have won, so am glad Croatia did win, but that was truly a game where every player left everything they had and then some on the field. Amazing it basically came down to someone in PKs missing the net, the one thing you can't do. At least make the goalie stop it.

9 hours ago, slikmar said:

I can't really want, given stuff in the world, Russia to have won, so am glad Croatia did win, but that was truly a game where every player left everything they had and then some on the field. Amazing it basically came down to someone in PKs missing the net, the one thing you can't do. At least make the goalie stop it.

The current England manager is one who knows about missing penalties in the World Cup.

I am used to disappointment where the National Side are concerned. The Rugby team, the Cricket team and the Olympic teams have all triumphed and brought great joy. Not so the Football team. They have had a tendency to be a let down. In 1974 and 1978 we did not even qualify for the World Cup finals. Consistently they under perform at the European Championships despite how good individual players maybe.

In 1990 they got to the semi-final only to lose on penalties to Germany.

Portugal put us out on penalties in another World Cup Quarter Final

So going to penalties is a thing the England team fear and the fans dread.

Then there was the culture. Football fans for clubs an the National Team were thugs who would go out and try and beat up the opposition or worse. That was the situation in the 70s and even into the 80s. Certain clubs managed to change that around. It is much better than it was but it is one of the reasons that I never really got into it.

I remember hearing the saw that "Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, while rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen". (Of course, that makes Handegg a hooligan's game played by hooligans, but that's neither here nor there.) A lot of working-class frustration gets vented in the stands, which the NFL avoids by pricing the working class out of attending their games.