The Classic Rock Thread

Pariah

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

So, Jimmy Buffett, John Denver, Linda Ronstadt, Dr. Hook, and ABBA?

My folks listened to all that as well (except replace ABBA with the Bee Gees).  Heck, they go see Buffett any time he comes to town.  Soft rock is still rock, if only barely. :nya:

3 hours ago, Sundog said:

Bing Crosby, the Rat Pack and the rest of the 1940's-50's oeuvre?

A big part of what rock grew out of, yes.

On 3/6/2018 at 11:46 AM, Netzilla said:

Classic Rock: Whatever kind of rock your parents listened to when you were young. :winkgrin:

Interesting you should say that...my 15-year-old nephew listens to a lot of the stuff his father and I were into growing up: Scorpions, AC/DC, Ratt, Dokken, Motley Crew.  My brother and I took him to a Van Halen show a few years ago, and I made the comment to my brother, "Can you imagine us, at 15, listening to the stuff our parents grew up on?"  The answer, of course, was "no".

Classic rock is more than just old.  It's virtually timeless.

Actually, back at the Pink Floyd concert we went to at B.C. Place in the early 1990s, there was an obvious father-son pair seated near us.  

The most jarring thing about that, actually, was watching them pass a joint back and forth during the intermission.

One thing I've noticed, having brothers that are 11 and 16 years younger than me, (step) nibblings 20+ years younger, plus friends with teen and twenty-something kids; younger generations seem more likely to be cognizant of prior generations' music than me and my peers were in our teens and twenties.  I blame YouTube.

18 hours ago, Cancer said:

Actually, back at the Pink Floyd concert we went to at B.C. Place in the early 1990s, there was an obvious father-son pair seated near us.  

The most jarring thing about that, actually, was watching them pass a joint back and forth during the intermission.

I'd need a whole lotta joints to hang out at a Pink Floyd show.  Maybe it's a case of Classic Rock Radio overkill, but blech.

I wonder how old the kid was?  I get high with my daughter, but she's in her 30s now.  Didn't even think about doing that with her until she was out of college.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 9:40 PM, Pariah said:

Lady P and I are going to see Chicago and REO Speedwagon in concert in June. :rockon:

By the way, this was a damn good concert. 

REO opened with about a dozen songs. In between, Kevin Cronin would talk to the audience like we were just sitting in his living room having drinks. One particularly powerful story he told was about 9/11. The band was in Los Angeles at the time, with their next concert scheduled in Salt Lake City 3 days later. They made the drive up, not knowing if they would be ready to play or if there would even be much of an audience to play to. But when they got to the venue, there were 10,000 screaming fans waiting for them, and they said it was one of the most memorable shows that ever played. It was at that point that they felt like things were finally going to be okay again.

Chicago's set was even more impressive. They started by playing their amazing second album in its entirety. Even though it was out of order, they ended that part of the set with an absolutely scorching rendition of 25 or 6 to 4. It was probably a big shock to some of their johnny-come-lately fans to discover the Chicago was, in fact, a ROCK band back in the day.

The second half of their set was dedicated to a bunch of their hits, with only two from the 80s ballad era: "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" (complete with the "Get Away" outro) and "You're The Inspiration". There were a lot of great songs I hadn't heard in a long time.

All in all, a fantastic night.

• 4 weeks later...

I find this thread fascinating, as some of the bands listed I'm familiar with while others are quite new, and a number of bands I know from the time, mostly Australian but also British, haven't had a look in, like Split Enz (what the Finn brothers were doing before Crowded House), The Angels, Icehouse (still going, supposedly a new album being worked on), The Little River Band, Hoodoo Gurus, The Clash, Cold Chisel - I guess it just shows the differences in the Rock environment.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:12 PM, Pariah said:

Nice one. Less creepy than "Don't Stand So Close To Me".

It's the difference between a teenage fantasy and an awful reality. Did Sting know someone who experienced that? Did he experience it himself? (He was a schoolteacher before his music career took off, after all.)