2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

As much as I love football at Thanksgiving, the NFL shouldn't have their teams playing on Thursdays.

Unless they give those teams a bye the week before.

I don't mind it for 2 Thanksgiving games a year (4 teams playing on 3 days rest isn't too bad).  

But, they need to rid themselves of Thursday night football every week.  Judging by how bad the games usually, God hates Thursday night football, too.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

As much as I love football at Thanksgiving, the NFL shouldn't have their teams playing on Thursdays.

Unless they give those teams a bye the week before.

A few issues...one of which is that there's no byes at all in weeks 1-4 and 13-17, or thereabouts...I don't recall the exact weeks but they've never had byes super-early or super-late in the season.  Rams and Chiefs have the last 2 byes, and that's this week.  So there's about 7 weeks on the schedule where it's not possible.  (Week 1, doesn't matter;  week 17, there's no TNF.)  

But at the least, DON'T have a team playing on TNF play Sunday night or Monday...period.  Pre-scheduled or flex.  Pretty sure they don't do Monday-Thursday, but pretty sure this was the 2nd time they did Sunday night to Thursday.  

Of course if player welfare was a concern at all...if quality games was a goal...there'd be no TNF, with the exception of Turkey Day.  Or outside the country.  We all know, tho, they're not gonna cut back on any of those.

The Rams and Chiefs in the playoffs should be interesting assuming neither of the quarterbacks gets hurt in the remaining time in the regular season. Can they tear top defenses the shreds the way they tore each other to shreds last Monday?

Watching two dominant offenses was certainly entertaining, though. Although that may be the Madden effect of rewarding spectacle.

The Rams and Chiefs probably won't be as dominant in Strat-o-Matic or Action PC Football as they are on the field, though.

No dissing the Browns today.  They're winning.  Again.  Amazingly enough.  As of the moment, they're actually not picking in the first 10 in the 2019 draft, and their fans have to be a lot more positive about the team direction than quite a few teams.  Including the Bengals...another horrible loss, at home against a lesser team.  I don't see Marvin Lewis coaching them next year, but I've said that for a couple years now.  Inconsistency is the only thing that's been consistent.  I'm not gonna say they're as bad, organizationally, as the mega-losers...Browns for so long, Cowboys, Jets, probably Dolphins and Raiders...but they're not a lot better.

Seattle stun Carolina in the Eastern Time Zone on a FG as time expires, despite recovering zero of five fumbles in the game.  Neither defense looked good today.

Probably the most insightful thing I saw on any of the during-game forum chats was this line on a Panthers fansite, referring to Carolina:

Just think, this D still gets to play Drew Brees twice

... and yeah, that's a terrifying thing to think about.

Wow, I did not see that coming.

After beating the Chargers last week and the Steelers today, the Broncos are now 5-6 with games remaining against the Chargers (again), the Raiders, the 49ers, the Browns, and the Bengals. It's not entirely beyond the realm of possibility that Denver could end up with a winning record this year.

Denver's home against Cleveland, so that should be a win.  Bengals are on the road next week, and Bengals should be desperate and angry after such an ugly egg today.   If I bet sports...which is IMO definitively idiotic...that's not a game I'd bet on.  Could see anything from Broncos by 14 (Bengals have cashed it in, given up on Marvin Lewis, and Dalton continues his fall into oblivion) to Bengals by 17 (Broncos on the road, nuff said).  And Niners is on the road, so it's always possible it'll be a Donkey job.

But we might be being excessively cynical about them.  It's hard to say;  the inconsistency from week to week in the NFL seems to be growing every year.

More importantly for the Bungles, they should get A.J. back next week.  It remains to be seen how bad Dalton's thumb sprain is though.

Packers are virtually guaranteed to miss the playoffs after tonight.  Not sure how McCarthy will keep his job.

Playoff picture is interesting.  You have the Rams, Chiefs, Pats, Steelers, and Saints, and behind them it's a free for all.