2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

35 minutes ago, Old Man said:

But who would they pick?  They already have Garoppolo.  Do they need a LT?  I can't think of any other position that's really worth a top three pick.

No one does this any more but...trade down, if nothing else.  The story does mention defensive line, but if it's really a bumper crop, you can also probably trade down to get a really good one mid-1st, plus more.

Why more teams don't do this is beyond me.   To follow on to Cancer's point, does anyone draft rationally???????

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Don't underestimate the Bills, though.  The 49ers are bad, but the Bills are historically bad.

If the 49ers are bad, what does that make the Raiders?  I totally skipped the game, but just a quick glance through the stats...no defense, no offensive line, a kid in his first start for the Niners, and 34-3?  Feels like that's rewriting the history of Bad.

One can definitely suspect that there's some number of Raiders who've totally checked out.  

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

But who would they pick?  They already have Garoppolo.  Do they need a LT?  I can't think of any other position that's really worth a top three pick.

Course, if they didn't trade for Garoppolo last year, they probably get the #2 pick, ironically.  Until then, the were the Browns, except getting blown out more frequently.

The Bills offense is historically bad, but they did somehow win 2 games already, that probably knocks them out.  The other 4, I can see at least one not winning a 2nd game.  (49ers and Cardinals have to play each other again, though they might intentionally tank the game and end in a 0-0 tie)

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

No one does this any more but...trade down, if nothing else.  The story does mention defensive line, but if it's really a bumper crop, you can also probably trade down to get a really good one mid-1st, plus more.

Why more teams don't do this is beyond me.   To follow on to Cancer's point, does anyone draft rationally???????

If you're at #1, it was probably because you didn't in the past.

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

If the 49ers are bad, what does that make the Raiders?  I totally skipped the game, but just a quick glance through the stats...no defense, no offensive line, a kid in his first start for the Niners, and 34-3?  Feels like that's rewriting the history of Bad.

One can definitely suspect that there's some number of Raiders who've totally checked out.  

I'm pretty sure the Raiders weren't playing football last night. I don't know what they were doing, but that wasn't football.

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

2 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

I'm pretty sure the Raiders weren't playing football last night. I don't know what they were doing, but that wasn't football.

Saw some posts about this being Gruden's Long Con to destroy the team that fired him. Wait til the owner dies, get his idiot son to hire you. Destroy the team from within.,

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Crazy enough it just might be true :ugly:

Nah, I don't think so.  Gruden's ego is too big.  If he could wreck it from the outside?  Possibly.  But he's not gonna sink the ship while he's on it.  The bare fact, far as I can tell, is he's a tyrannical little martinet with a total "my way is the only way" mindset.  

Interesting article over on Yahoo:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-alarmed-raiders-disintegrating-jon-gruden-060137437.html

The new NFL power rankings should come out with the Raiders at 40th.

3 hours ago, pinecone said:

Gruden was replaced by a pod person! They seem human but they can't play ball! Warn the others!

Well, I do have a book analyzing baseball managers,  and it did seem a common theme, as the years go by eventually the manager loses his touch.  Whether by aging to where you just can go through the rigors of a season (remember travelling is hell), or having come out of a lengthy retirement and had lost their touch in the interim, the game changing from the style that made you great, or even merely not being able to relate to the newest generation of players.   Many managers had pretty awful last gasps if they held on too long.  

Most certainly that happens in other sports.  And Gruden probably qualifies for most of those reasons I mentioned in fact.  (In fact he probably follows a lot along the lines of a baseball manager named Paul RIchards, who was a managers in the 1950s through about 1964-65,  he was known as quite the micro-manager,  he became a GM in the mid-60s, but got talked out of retirement to manage the 1976 Chicago White Sox,  and it should speak volumes, that the only thing that team is known for was the "bright" idea to wear shorts*.)

*Owner's idea (Bill Veeck).  I imagine a guy like Richards wasn't happy about that idea.  (nor anyone who has ever slid into a base ever)