2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

For a team that went 1-31 over the previous two seasons, I'd say taking out a team that's been to the Super Bowl in recent memory is quite an accomplishment.

No.  Not even.  The accomplishment is hosing a team that was good...albeit lucky, IMO...quite recently into a pretty POOR team.  ANd not a positive one.  The Falcons are overall a BAD team at this point.  OK, not Raiders bad, but still.

Hey, SNF proved that.  Eagle defense is apparently decimated, but the Zeke runs for 150, Dak !!!! throws for 270?  This is the 27th ranked offense AFTER the game this evening.  And the Eagles won the Super Bowl, last season.

Final note, from the Attaboy department.  You may be familiar with this...collect 1000 Attaboys, get a promotion.  But one Aw **** wipes out ANY accumulated Attaboys.  To wit today...Tampa Bay had over 500 yards total offense.  FIVE hundred.  And scored........3 points.  Drive 56...INT.  51...punt.  73...miss FG.  63...FG.  66...miss FG.  TO on first play.  56...fumble.  73...fumble.  Buncha Attaboys...all mercilessly slaughtered.  EDIT:  500+ yards of offense, 467 times.  Not sure how far back that went.  Average points per game was, IIRC, 37 and change.  That from SVP.

If you're a card carrying member of the ANYONE But the Pats! club, or are at least (like me) sick and tired of Tommy Boy being called the GLA...GOAT is arguable, but ya gotta say he's in the discussion:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2805087-monday-morning-digest-can-the-patriots-survive-the-decline-of-tom-brady?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide0

Line of the week, from well down that BR article.  Talking about the spreads and results:

Falcons were -5.5.  Bold mine.  

Nothing illustrates the public's lack of faith in the Falcons like this spread: They entered Sunday on a three-game tear and averaged over 28.5 points per contest, but they didn't quite qualify as touchdown favorites against a team with a makeshift offensive coaching staff.

Naturally, the Browns won outright 28-16. That's because many of you were starting to believe in the Falcons, and the Falcons are an organism that feeds on your belief, digests it and excretes it as steaming heaps of regret.

Couldn't.  Come on, Raiders are the lock of the millenium for the #1 pick.  Not only do they have the inside track, but they're at Balt, then KC and Pitt, and end at KC.  Other 3 games are Denver, at Cincy, and at Arizona.  Those are games they might win in theory...but the locker room is *toast*.  They are playing out the string, so I think that makes the gap between them and every other team Grand Canyonesque.  OK, Andy Dalton can fritter a game away but that strikes me as the best chance.

For the curious, but not curious enough to look themselves...

Rams are generally -2.5 against the Chiefs next Monday;  the over/under is only 63 1/2.  Take the over.

Well #2 is still good

Edit: Though I'd say it is 50/50 Raiders find some way to back their way into a win.  (with Arizona being the best chance, though you never know Flacco might decide to throw 4 ints).

Just saying if Buffalo with that offense can pick up 2 or more wins, just about anyone up to and including a team from a bad football comedy can.

Doubtful.  There was a story on Bleacher Report, IIRC, comparing Peterman to everyone else.  His rating was something like 30 points below *every other* QB with a decent sample size (so discount mop-up types or thrown-into-the-breach rookies).

Quick takes...

Awww...no game in Mexico City.  They botched the turf replacement, or maybe just didn't do it soon enough for it to take.  Breaks my heart......not!

How long can Marvin Lewis dodge the axe, now that he's canned coordinators in the last 2 seasons?

I hope whoever signs Le'Veon Bell this offseason...someone will, altho perhaps not for the ginormous amount he thinks he should get...has to play in Pittsburgh early in the season.  The booing will be EPIC.

19 hours ago, Badger said:

I'd be happy to never hear from Bell again at this point.

I'd also be happy if the franchise tag was done away with.

Maybe but completely unrestricted free agency is not, IMO, a good idea for football.  And it's not like the franchise tag is *cheap* for a team, or that they can apply it willy-nilly.

Bell's main problem with the tag is that it's a one-year deal with no protection if he gets injured.  Running backs' careers are over by age 30; Bell is 26.  Had he played this year and gotten hurt, Pittsburgh would have cut him, he'd have had to rehab on his own, and would then have been forced to take a one-year minimum deal with another team at the age of 28.  This is what happened to Earl Thomas last month.