Godzilla, King of the Monsters

3 hours ago, zslane said:

According to Wikipedia: "The exact definition of what determines a kaiju from a daikaiju is debated."

Why type the extra three characters?

Well, "kaiju" translates to English from Japanese as "monster," or more literally, "strange beast." So it could refer to any such creature. But I've always seen the supersized monsters like Godzilla referred to in Japan as "daikaiju," roughly, "large strange beast." Since they do populate their own genre, the distinction seems reasonable.

14 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

The words are generally interchangeable throughout the genre.

Which is why I would never bother typing the "dai" part, seeing as how it is essentially unnecessary today, and probably just causes confusion for anyone who doesn't speak Japanese and/or doesn't know (or care about) the history behind the two wordforms.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

Yep, Imax worthy. Just Take My Money. 17 Kaiju, Basically Destroy All Monsters redone.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

This movie looks so epic. I can't wait!

I really really really hope so.

But Hollywood's ultra-well proven ability to snatch "utter crap" from the jaws of "masterpiece" makes me very very pessimistic :(.

4 minutes ago, zslane said:

I loved the 2014 movie, so my faith in this one feels reasonably justified.

Well, the track record on sequels is arguably worse :nonp:

But I find my movie experience is enhanced if I keep my expectations in the sub-basement......

A lot of sequels have been stinkers in the past. But a lot of sequels have also been arguably as good if not better than the first movie in the series. This looks like it could be one of those cases. For one thing, as much as I love the 2014 film, it is far from perfect and could have been better in a number of respects. Making a superior film to that one would not be excruciatingly hard.

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound

He pulls the spitting high tension wires down

Helpless people on a subway train

Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them

He picks up a Camero and throws it back down

As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town

OH NO, THEY SAY HE'S GOT TO GO!

GO GO GODZILLA!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 7:36 PM, Lord Liaden said:

That would be really nice, but the movie will get the audience it gets. I intend to enjoy it while I can. As long as it makes enough to make Godzilla vs Kong worth releasing. Since that movie is already filmed, it won't have to be an enormous amount.

I'm with you there.  I'd like to see another Pacific Rim, but I think the second movie lost the bubble and killed the possibility.  Unless of course there is something in the works I don't know about. 

I really like the current Godzilla and really really really hope for more.

The film is clearly aimed at fans of the giant-monster genre in general, and Toho fans in particular. I doubt that includes a majority of professional film critics. If you don't love the genre there probably won't be a lot for you in G:KOTM. Also FWIW, the critics I've read or viewed so far who do love the genre, love this movie; but even they admit the human characters and story aren't great. But if that's what someone goes to G:KOTM wanting to see, they're missing the point.