How many DCs is your Champions campaign?

dsatow

How many DCs is your Champions campaign?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Given +/- 1 DC, how many DCs is your favorite current Champions campaign? (include the usual advantages in calculation of DCs like Area of Effect and AP but not stuff like Reduced Endurance)

• 6 DC
    • 9 DC
    • 12 DC
    • 15 DC
    • 18 DC
    • 20+ DC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2019 at 07:59 AM

Just a question on relative power levels of people's campaigns.  Please use your favorite current campaign which you have played in or run in the last year. 

I am just wondering if the average has changed since 4th ed where they noted most people play at about 11DC.

10 minutes ago, dsatow said:

Just a question on relative power levels of people's campaigns.  Please use your favorite current campaign which you have played in or run in the last year. 

I am just wondering if the average has changed since 4th ed where they noted most people play at about 11DC.

I take it that you are asking for people who are playing in 5e or 6e rather than for people who are still playing 4e or earlier?

Using basically 6th Ed (for non-figured characteristics, the best thing ever) and various house rules... I had to select 15d6, but that is scewed for this particular campaign. I'd say 12-13d6 is more a sweet spot for "feeling super, but not world beaters" at least in my experience, and the game curves around that spot very nicely.

I'd have to select 9d6 for the Champs Now beta test we are running... as it is 50% a take back to 3rd Edition days, but with some very different rules.

The seven PCs in my game actually have two different "average" levels of DC.  Three of them are around 15 DC, and the other four are around 12-13 DC.  However, all of the PCs are incredibly defense-crazy, so the NPC villains tend to run around 15 DC.  Thus, I reported my game as 15 DC.

Keeping in mind, this is about 3 years into the game with about 175 XP under their belts.

15 minutes ago, Werehawk said:

We ran a shared universe for 5th ed in which the cap was at 12DC. However, I run a champagn world that takes place 1000 years in the future where the DCs are capped at 15 with high INT characters (the Brainiac 5 types) using 4 dice instead of three for PER rolls.

RE: the 4d6 PER rolls -- how does that work?  Do they drop the highest die? 

My last campaign used a 50/50/20/5 idea.

So 50 active pts attacks (10 DC) 

50 in defenses (total PD/ED)

20 dex (with up to three CSL)

5 Spd

Balance would be taking points from one to add to another.  so you want 70 active attacks?  OK dex 17 and 4 Spd.  OR keep Spd and Dex and defenses at 30.  It worked well!

Our last game was around 15D6.  I was well below the average, only hitting about 11D6 (I also had the lowest defenses), but I'm the most experienced Champions player in the group and my character had strengths in other areas.  My character was easily the most versatile, and I don't walk face-first into damage. :)

23 hours ago, Mr. R said:

My last campaign used a 50/50/20/5 idea.

So 50 active pts attacks (10 DC) 

50 in defenses (total PD/ED)

20 dex (with up to three CSL)

5 Spd

Balance would be taking points from one to add to another.  so you want 70 active attacks?  OK dex 17 and 4 Spd.  OR keep Spd and Dex and defenses at 30.  It worked well!

How do you (or do you at all) balance EXP spend with this system? Are the characters required to stay in the range throughout the campaign? (Which could work for a pre-determined, less than 10  session run, or such.) Do you allow EXP to break this? (Hence this balance is only for starting characters) or do you have another defined stage of balance for experienced PCs... like a 60/60/23/6 rule or something?

On 9/21/2018 at 2:07 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

RE: the 4d6 PER rolls -- how does that work?  Do they drop the highest die? 

I have a couple characters who roll above 18 because of 35-40 INT along with the skill rolls attached to them so the extra die allows for the possibility of failure (Hey! even Brainiac 5 gets it wrong once in a while). Plus it gives the lower life forms something to razz them with. Quadruple 6's is critical failure in this case.

On 9/22/2018 at 11:55 AM, RDU Neil said:

How do you (or do you at all) balance EXP spend with this system? Are the characters required to stay in the range throughout the campaign? (Which could work for a pre-determined, less than 10  session run, or such.) Do you allow EXP to break this? (Hence this balance is only for starting characters) or do you have another defined stage of balance for experienced PCs... like a 60/60/23/6 rule or something?

The second option.  Basically as they went up in power the points would go to 60/60/23/6.  Also we were decent pole players and so kept things fun for everyone.  Thus our speedster at the end had an 8 spd but his dex was still around 23 and his defences were at 50 and attacks 50

so start he was 40/40/23/6  At the end  50/50/23/8