80s Action: Emperor Kurgan

Jmonty

OK, this is for action movie fans, 80s nostalgic:

Remember the film "Highlander"? The first, the good one. Well, imagine The Kurgan killed McLeod and won The Prize.

Now the villain has new powers and can rule the world, but there are some heroes in his path to power, heroes from this 80s movies we all love. And they will be the Player Characters, of course. Well, or may be not the same characters as McClane, Riggs, Rambo, Danko but based on this archetypes. I have a real difficult time to find action girls, though.

The Prize may be some kind of Telepathy powers and limited Mind Control, apart from his strenght and skill boosted from the Quickenings. He can recruit lots of minions and lieutenants from the movies, or generic villains. He remains an immortal and can only be defeated by beheading.

Kurgan knows who will fight against him (is a bit in touch with everyone's mind, like McLeod at the end of the flick, planetary Mind Scan?), so the first adventure could unite the PCs against the attempted assassination of them all.

Minion ideas: The New World cult from "Cobra".

Let the fun and homage begin.

I thought they only made one Highlander movie.  I'm pretty sure of it, actually.

This sounds like it would be a pretty fun game.  I think anybody who loves 80s action movies would get a kick out of it.  Still, I can't see this ending any way other than "Find John Matrix and convince him to do one last mission".

For an "action girl," I'd suggest starting with Sarah Connor. I know Terminator II came out in 1991, but between the first movie in 1984 and this one, she'd done a lot of training. Her son John might be an Immortal, born after the death of McLeod, and now hunted by the Kurgan. Ellen Ripley would be another possibility. Perhaps she was on a sea freighter whose crew was slaughtered by the Kurgan (because Ash was actually an Immortal), and she was the only survivor.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Oh, how could I forget Brigitte Nielsen from Red Sonja (1985)? Raped and left for dead by an evil despot, rescued and trained to be a great swordswoman... there has to be a way to fit that into your narrative.

Well, this movie was not set in the 80s. I would not buy it.

But you say something... We need a swordperson to fight the Kurgan.

Everybody (was Kung Fu Fighting)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

18 DEX 16 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

23 CON 13 14-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 2 - 3

20+5 PRE 10 13- / 14- PRE Attack: 4d6/5d6

7 OCV 20

7 DCV 20

2 OMCV -3

3 DMCV 0

6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

20 PD 9 Total: 20 PD (9 rPD)

20 ED 9 Total: 20 ED (9 rED)

8 REC 4

20 END 0

11 BODY 1

30 STUN 5

Total Characteristic Cost: 154

Movement: Running: 7m/14m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 2m/4m

Cost Powers END

3 It was a little bit frightening: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only in combat (-¼), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼)

5 Everybody was KUNG FU fighting: Damage Negation (-3 DCs Physical) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Rare attack (Firearms and weapons with the Real Weapon Limitation, except Martial Arts Weapons; -1), Perceivable (Just looking at him, you know ordinary guns and knives won't work so why bother?; -½), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼), Nonpersistent (-¼) 0

Notes: Don't bring a gun to a kung fu fight!

Kung Fu Fighting!

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 A kickin' from the hip -2 +1 10d6 Strike

4 Chopping them up +0 +2 8d6 Strike

3 Chopping them down +0 +1 6d6 +v/10, Target Falls

4 Started swaying with the hand +2 +2 Block, Abort

3 Now we're into a brand new trip +2 -1 7d6 Strike, Target Falls

5 A sudden motion made me skip -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

73 Billy Chin and little Sammy Wong: Follower

3 Anonymity

Notes: When they hear that "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" for some reason authorities and villains alike accept that answer and stop looking for someone specific.

12 Positive Reputation: Evildoers fear Everybody; the righteous love Everybody and are eager to help. (A large group) 14-, +4/+4d6

21 Contact: "Everybody" (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (21 Active Points) 11-

Notes: If anything important happens in Funky China Town, Everybody knows it. If there are resources that can be of use to Everybody, then Everybody has access to them. Everybody wants to help Everybody. And vice versa for that matter.

Talents

18 Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

2 Those Kicks Were Fast as Lightning: Lightning Reflexes (+8 DEX to act first with a Small Group of Actions: Kung Fu)

3 In fact it was a little bit frightening: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

3 They fought with expert timing: Absolute Time Sense

Skills

2 It's an ancient Chinese art: KS: Kung Fu 11-

3 And everybody knew their part: Teamwork 13-

3 Here comes the big boss, let's get it on: Streetwise 13- (14-)

1 Took the bow and made a stand WF: Bows

6 Kung Fu Fighting: +2 with a small group of attacks

3 From a fainting, to a slip: Breakfall 13-

3 Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting: Analyze: Style 12-

10 Expert Timing: Defense Maneuver I-IV

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 206

Total Cost: 360

400+ Matching Complications

325 Base Points

15 Social Complication: Secret ID: Carl Douglas Frequently, Major

0 Distinctive Features: Funky China Man (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Funky China Town)

15 Hunted: Big Boss Very Frequently (As Pow; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Everybody who's Kung Fu Fighting; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Total Complications Points: 360

Background/History:

There was funky Billie Chin and little Sammy Chong

He said, here comes the big boss, let's get it on

We took the bow and made a stand

Started swaying with the hand

A sudden motion made me skip

Now we're into a brand new trip

Personality/Motivation: Keep on, keep on, keep on, sure enough

Quote: Oh-hoh-hoh-HOah!

Powers/Tactics: Kung Fu Fighting

Campaign Use: The mysterious masked martial artist became known as "Everybody" for responding to villains who demanded "Who ARE you?" by saying "I'm everybody you ever wronged, come to set it right!" His friends Funky Billy Chin and Little Sammy Wong may know his identity, but they would never betray him.

Appearance: A little bit frightening.

Lyrics to the song "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas. Character concept and character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

PPS (Post Palindromedary Stuff): To be clear, the line "There was funky China Men from funky China Town" is part of the original lyrics by Carl Douglas, and these phrases are incorporated into the character because the character is a reflection of the entire song. No disrespect is intended to people of Chinese nationality or descent, to their ancient and honorable culture, or to their impressive traditions of unarmed combat. Besides, anyone who knows me will tell you that I never, ever use the word "funky."

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

IIRC, the Prize was being able to read anyone's thoughts, but it required concentration. Also, winning the Prize also meant becoming mortal, so the Kurgan wouldn't be as hard to kill. He would still be a formidable fighter, though.

The Prize is vaguely defined and not translated into Hero rules yet. From wikipedia: "Connor now can read people's thoughts around the world, and promises to use his gift to encourage cooperation and peace."

I think Connor McLeod becomes mortal by his choice, for his wish to have children. If this interpretation is correct Kurgan may have chosen not to be mortal. But this is a GM decision.

So, the issues so far:

-The PCs need someone to teach them about the mystic powers of Kurgan, a mystic or scholar NPC. (Doctor Hong from "The Golden Child"?)

-We need a swordperson here, but given the Hero rules anyone with "WF: Blades" can make it.

-Female characters: Not many action girls in the 80s. Sheena, Sarah Connor, and some in the martial arts subgenre. Ex-villains like "Mayday" from "A view to a kill" could be interesting.

-No more than one PC inspired in the same actor. Two Arnolds are confusing.

I wrote some rules for a Highlander game years ago, but I didn't write out the Prize. My reason was that winning it would likely end the campaign. However, I detailed some other powers, mainly from the first movie and the TV series. You can download the rules from this link if you're interested.

https://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/88426-highlander-hero-redux/

20 hours ago, massey said:

I thought they only made one Highlander movie.  I'm pretty sure of it, actually.

6 hours ago, Jmonty said:

At least 4 movies and a TV series, but the sequels were rather contradictory.

I'm pretty sure massey's comment was meant to be taken as sarcasm. People who like the first Highlander movie often remark that they don't acknowledge the existence of the sequels, for quality reasons. ;)

7 hours ago, Jmonty said:

Well, this movie was not set in the 80s. I would not buy it.

But you say something... We need a swordperson to fight the Kurgan.

What I meant was that it appeared in the '80s. The background details would have to be updated to modern times, just as Ripley would have to be "downdated." If as you wrote you'd be good with archetypes rather than the original characters, that should be doable.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm pretty sure massey's comment was meant to be taken as sarcasm. People who like the first Highlander movie often remark that they don't acknowledge the existence of the sequels, for quality reasons. ;)

In the end, there SHOULD HAVE BEEN only one.

Lucius Alexandery

In the end, there should be a palindromedary tagline

9 hours ago, Lucius said:

Everybody (was Kung Fu Fighting)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

18 DEX 16 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

23 CON 13 14-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 2 - 3

20+5 PRE 10 13- / 14- PRE Attack: 4d6/5d6

7 OCV 20

7 DCV 20

2 OMCV -3

3 DMCV 0

6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

20 PD 9 Total: 20 PD (9 rPD)

20 ED 9 Total: 20 ED (9 rED)

8 REC 4

20 END 0

11 BODY 1

30 STUN 5

Total Characteristic Cost: 154

Movement: Running: 7m/14m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 2m/4m

Cost Powers END

3 It was a little bit frightening: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only in combat (-¼), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼)

5 Everybody was KUNG FU fighting: Damage Negation (-3 DCs Physical) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Rare attack (Firearms and weapons with the Real Weapon Limitation, except Martial Arts Weapons; -1), Perceivable (Just looking at him, you know ordinary guns and knives won't work so why bother?; -½), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼), Nonpersistent (-¼) 0

Notes: Don't bring a gun to a kung fu fight!

Kung Fu Fighting!

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 A kickin' from the hip -2 +1 10d6 Strike

4 Chopping them up +0 +2 8d6 Strike

3 Chopping them down +0 +1 6d6 +v/10, Target Falls

4 Started swaying with the hand +2 +2 Block, Abort

3 Now we're into a brand new trip +2 -1 7d6 Strike, Target Falls

5 A sudden motion made me skip -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

73 Billy Chin and little Sammy Wong: Follower

3 Anonymity

Notes: When they hear that "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" for some reason authorities and villains alike accept that answer and stop looking for someone specific.

12 Positive Reputation: Evildoers fear Everybody; the righteous love Everybody and are eager to help. (A large group) 14-, +4/+4d6

21 Contact: "Everybody" (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (21 Active Points) 11-

Notes: If anything important happens in Funky China Town, Everybody knows it. If there are resources that can be of use to Everybody, then Everybody has access to them. Everybody wants to help Everybody. And vice versa for that matter.

Talents

18 Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

2 Those Kicks Were Fast as Lightning: Lightning Reflexes (+8 DEX to act first with a Small Group of Actions: Kung Fu)

3 In fact it was a little bit frightening: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

3 They fought with expert timing: Absolute Time Sense

Skills

2 It's an ancient Chinese art: KS: Kung Fu 11-

3 And everybody knew their part: Teamwork 13-

3 Here comes the big boss, let's get it on: Streetwise 13- (14-)

1 Took the bow and made a stand WF: Bows

6 Kung Fu Fighting: +2 with a small group of attacks

3 From a fainting, to a slip: Breakfall 13-

3 Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting: Analyze: Style 12-

10 Expert Timing: Defense Maneuver I-IV

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 206

Total Cost: 360

400+ Matching Complications

325 Base Points

15 Social Complication: Secret ID: Carl Douglas Frequently, Major

0 Distinctive Features: Funky China Man (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Funky China Town)

15 Hunted: Big Boss Very Frequently (As Pow; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Everybody who's Kung Fu Fighting; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Total Complications Points: 360

Background/History:

There was funky Billie Chin and little Sammy Chong

He said, here comes the big boss, let's get it on

We took the bow and made a stand

Started swaying with the hand

A sudden motion made me skip

Now we're into a brand new trip

Personality/Motivation: Keep on, keep on, keep on, sure enough

Quote: Oh-hoh-hoh-HOah!

Powers/Tactics: Kung Fu Fighting

Campaign Use: The mysterious masked martial artist became known as "Everybody" for responding to villains who demanded "Who ARE you?" by saying "I'm everybody you ever wronged, come to set it right!" His friends Funky Billy Chin and Little Sammy Wong may know his identity, but they would never betray him.

Appearance: A little bit frightening.

Lyrics to the song "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas. Character concept and character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

PPS (Post Palindromedary Stuff): To be clear, the line "There was funky China Men from funky China Town" is part of the original lyrics by Carl Douglas, and these phrases are incorporated into the character because the character is a reflection of the entire song. No disrespect is intended to people of Chinese nationality or descent, to their ancient and honorable culture, or to their impressive traditions of unarmed combat. Besides, anyone who knows me will tell you that I never, ever use the word "funky."

quite nice Lucius

• 2 weeks later...