2019-2020 NFL Thread

Old Man

An interesting note about the Draft: second overall pick Nick Bosa has a colorful family history. Not only is he a third-generation NFLer, but his great-grandfather turns out to be Tony "Joey Batters" Accardo, a major figure in the Chicago Mob.

Accardo rose up the ranks after Al Capone was sent to Alcatraz for tax evasion. Eventually, he became the head of the "Outfit" founded by Al Capone and retained power in the mob for forty years. He preferred to keep a low profile, eschewing a fancy lifestyle to concentrate on accumulating wealth and power. As late as the 1970s, Accardo demonstrated he was not a man to cross -- when his Chicago home was burglarized in 1976, he found out who was responsible and had their throats cut.  He lived to the age of 86 and died of natural causes.

The first generation of football players in Bosa's family, linebacker Eric Kumerow, faced scrutiny in his four-year career about his grandfather's ties to the mob. He himself turned out to have no personal connection to Accardo.

The full story can be read in the current Sports Illustrated.

The Donkeys now have four quarterbacks under contact: Joe Flacco, Kevin Hogan, Missouri rookie and second round draft pick Drew Lock, and . . . rookie Brett Rypien from Boise State? And they apparently gave Rypien the equivalent of a full-year practice squad contract.

I can only assume that Elway has a plan. But I have no idea what it might be.

• 2 weeks later...

The one who by all accounts was doing a great job?  The NYT sums it up well:

Less than three weeks after the Jets gave General Manager Mike Maccagnan responsibility to oversee their all-important draft selections, they fired him, a stunning move by a team already noted for a long history of mismanagement.

The dismissal on Wednesday brought to an abrupt halt the slow buildup of credibility the Jets had enjoyed over the last few months, and also placed Adam Gase, the team’s new head coach, in the spotlight for whatever role he may have played in an apparent power struggle.

In spite of this, the Raiders are a lock to host Hard Knocks this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This Nate Peterman is growing on me.  He's got some talent.  He's got some athleticism.  He's got some experience.  I know he's got some nightmare performances in the NFL, but...it's not all his fault.  He was Opening Day starter for Buffalo last year.  He's smart.  He's done a good job.  He's been consistent, and I think he's starting to get his confidence back.

- Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders HC, July 30, 2019

On 7/31/2019 at 7:45 AM, Starlord said:

This Nate Peterman is growing on me.  He's got some talent.  He's got some athleticism.  He's got some experience.  I know he's got some nightmare performances in the NFL, but...it's not all his fault.  He was Opening Day starter for Buffalo last year.  He's smart.  He's done a good job.  He's been consistent, and I think he's starting to get his confidence back.

- Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders HC, July 30, 2019

Well, playing for the Raiders will certainly solve that problem.

I've been watching the Toronto Argonauts and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for the last half hour or so.

I hope the Broncos don't look as bad as the Argos this season. They're awful.

I mean, Toronto has literally had three penalties in the time it took me to post this.

For epic levels of bad in the CFL, nobody comes close to the BC Lions. Worst offensive line play I have ever seen; Mike Reilly (one of the better CFL quarterbacks in recent history) is running for his life every single down. The Lions keep trying and trying to fix things, but it looks like only a matter of time before they'll have to find a new quarterback. And the O-Line is consistent in its awful regardless of what they try.

Admittedly Reilly is in the twilight of his career and just got one last big contract by CFL standards. But he's getting crushed out there and the Lions have started losing their games bigger and bigger. Their only win (out of seven tries) came when their kicker tried to hit a field goal, missed, and still kicked it out of the end zone for a "single" to win 18-17. Otherwise they've lost every time out and their record is 1-6. They have a bye this weekend, which may help them with fatigue, but it looks like they will have enormous trouble winning another game.

For the credit to their kicker, CFL endzones are 25 yards deep. It's not easy to kick a football that far, even if you're trying to (something that rarely happens).