2019-2020 NFL Thread

Old Man

Even one season of football causes brain damage

(A wag might say "watching or playing?  or either?")

My guess is ... probably this will cause the banning of installation of accelerometers in football helmets, assuming the NFL's response like that of, ah, political entities I do not need to name here.  If you can't measure it, it must not be happening.

15 hours ago, Starlord said:

Likely caused from wearing the crappy helmet he likes while taking that infamous hit a few years ago from his new teammate Vontaze Burfict.

There is an undercurrent of discussion that AB hasn’t been the same, personalitywise, since that hit. 

Paxton Lynch vs Geno Smith

One downside of early preseason football is the competition for backup QB slot can make a writer go on and on about guys who ... well, conjugate the English verb to suck  in all its tenses, and you are getting the right idea.

It also causes a reflexive nausea attack in Seahawk fans when the memory of Dan McGuire is invoked, which it is here.  Things you do not ever want: an audit notice from the IRS, a late-stage cancer diagnosis, and Dan McGuire on your team's roster.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:25 PM, Iuz the Evil said:

Had training camp even started when this happened? If he's not in training, I don't see a reason for the team to say he can't do this. People have done much worse things in the off-season that have actually affected their ability to play.

This isn't Johnny Manziel here.

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Had training camp even started when this happened? If he's not in training, I don't see a reason for the team to say he can't do this. People have done much worse things in the off-season that have actually affected their ability to play.

This isn't Johnny Manziel here.

The team apparently loves that he did this. There's a really great back and forth between the Indians and NFL Twitter accounts. Best part is that Cowherd actually basically said exactly what they were joking he'd say. And then took a shot at the Indians. And a bunch of shots at Mayfield and Cleveland. What a clown. 

http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/fox/indians-prediction-baker-mayfield-colin-cowherd.html

If the Browns ever achieve a modicum of success with Mayfield, the city might explode from joy. 

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

I used to respect Colin Cowherd, but a few years ago he went full shock jock and I can't take him seriously anymore.

Cowherd was once quoted as saying he would leave ESPN, where he had a cozy radio gig, if they ever started covering E-Sports. Well, ESPN does in fact cover E=Sports now -- ESPN Plus plays every match from the Overwatch League and has substantial League of Legends coverage, not to mention coverage of the Madden circuit -- although whether Cowherd leaving has anything to do with that is conjecture.

Speaking of pundit reputations, what are opinions on Jim Rome (the guy Cowherd essentially wants to become)? He comes off as a bit boorish, but as someone who does his homework and that athletes and coaches are willing to talk to. The thing is that people often call his national show to show off their dissing game, mainly against other callers.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Speaking of pundit reputations, what are opinions on Jim Rome (the guy Cowherd essentially wants to become)? He comes off as a bit boorish, but as someone who does his homework and that athletes and coaches are willing to talk to. The thing is that people often call his national show to show off their dissing game, mainly against other callers.

Trying to enjoy some pre-season football, only to find it unwatchable due to the new "restraining order" pass interference rules.

It seems that if any two players are within fifty feet of each other during a passing play, someone must be called for interference.

They even made a few calls against some backup quarterbacks who were playing catch on the sidelines, and one against a vendor that tossed a hotdog to a fan that was too close to another fan that was thinking about buying a hotdog for himself.

How many of these calls will retroactively put the Saints into last years Superbowl?

Oh well, if I quit watching the season now, I can skip the Patriots next trip to the Superbowl against the Washington Senators.

ka.

17 hours ago, Starlord said:

Eh, they always over-penalize during the preseason to send a message.

The message I got is: "Football will be very boring this year, don't bother to watch."

Oh well.

Coincidentally, I heard a discussion on sports radio today concerning the decreasing importance of the Running Back in the NFL.

However, if the new rules have the results it appears they are going to have, it could lend a whole new importance to the running game.

If every pass play becomes a risky crapshoot, with a 50/50 chance of a turnover depending on who the officials think interfered with whom, running may look like a safer option.

ka.

As if any coach not named Belichick would ever change their playbook to adapt to new trends or rule changes. 

There are a number of changes I'd like to make to NFL rules.  Really the NFL ought to retain any random Hero gamer and give them the title of "Executive Loophole Closer".