Anime Weapons? Worse, historical weapons

Christopher

We all know that Anime/Manga/Video weaponry can be wierd. Stuff like a hammer that has rocket jets. Or a blade that is also a key. Or a blade that is also a gun.

But as I just learned, they are totally behind the curve in that regard. History one ups them every step of the way:

The problamy most bizare shield in history:

https://youtu.be/0AIUF6iCPj0

This explanation was given below in the comments and it makes a lot of sense:
"I remember this shield. It was specifically designed by "Broma Venschwitz" in the early 1600s. The entire point of the lantern shield was to see the shinny reflection of the deadly pommel throw at night. Once you caught the glinting pommel speeding towards you it was simply up to the master forged shield to stop such an executing blow. "

The oldest "tactical flashlight" or just a new way of saying "no evil shall escape my sight"?

https://youtu.be/6ikqHAN2ySc

As for the reason, my best guess is that guy had lost one hand. It tended to happen in those times.

Next up, "Keyblades are so pre-gunpowder":
https://youtu.be/a5TlMsLT6-8

And finally a longer list of even more weapons. If you thought the Swiss Army Knive was versatile, you will have at least one suprise:
https://youtu.be/WMG9_VS2hNw
And yes, most of these weapons do come from Germany and India.

The part where none of those are widely known speaks to volumes to their useabiltiy in combat, particular large scale battles. But I guess not every combination can be a "Bec de corbin":
spacer.png

Don't forget China's contributions:

Wind and Fire Wheels: "It's more important that I look impressive doing katas than actually be combat effective."

spacer.png

Monk's Spade: "Make this shovel more weaponlike.  More.  No, more.  Look, what don't you understand?"

spacer.png

Tiger Hook Swords.  "Okay what I want is two swords, only with bladed pommels, and blades on the handguards, and blades on the blades, and hooks on the blades such that I can hook one blade on the other blade and swing all the blades around on the battlefield like a shrieking psycho."

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 11:01 PM, Old Man said:

Tiger Hook Swords.  "Okay what I want is two swords, only with bladed pommels, and blades on the handguards, and blades on the blades, and hooks on the blades such that I can hook one blade on the other blade and swing all the blades around on the battlefield like a shrieking psycho."

spacer.png

The Tiger Hook Swords may be awkward but Baron Juliet Chau was rockin em big time a couple of episodes ago on Into The Badlands.  Then again, the Widow did cut off her head in that fight.  Never mind...moving on.

Anyone have any ideas how to model a misericorde (long thin dagger used to deliver killing blows to wounded knights or during a grapple, small enough to fit in the chinks of armor, or visors) 

Should it be a special weapon? Or a naked advantage to mimic a fighters skill with a dagger? 

Its not a combat weapon its made to execute the helpless and dying to spare them pain. 

Just give it deadly blow with the gestures, only on the helpless and extra time limitation. 

To use it as a combat weapon in grappling you just let it be an regular dagger and make it so that regular daggers are to thick to be able to be pressured through the eye hole in the knights helmet. 

We are talking about a called shot to the eye so you gotta be pretty good even if you have a dominant grappling position advantage. 

On 5/1/2019 at 12:59 PM, akrippler said:

Anyone have any ideas how to model a misericorde (long thin dagger used to deliver killing blows to wounded knights or during a grapple, small enough to fit in the chinks of armor, or visors) 

Should it be a special weapon? Or a naked advantage to mimic a fighters skill with a dagger? 

It's just a stiletto IMO. Game stats-wise at least.

Slap some AP on that HKA and good to go.

I have a player in my game using them and just used the stiletto stats.

Nothing really very fancy about them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 10:01 PM, Old Man said:

Don't forget China's contributions:

Wind and Fire Wheels: "It's more important that I look impressive doing katas than actually be combat effective."

spacer.png

Monk's Spade: "Make this shovel more weaponlike.  More.  No, more.  Look, what don't you understand?"

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've played with the Tiger Hook Swords in ancient times when I was taking Praying Mantis Kung Fu.

They're extra dangerous when you hook them and swing it as a double-length weapon.

They're also pretty dangerous when you try to do any movements with them because of the pommel blade.  So easy to jab yourself or drag the tip across your other arm as you do forms.  Looks awesome, would trade it immediately for a classic Chinese straight sword.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember all those combo pole arms from the deendee charts that all had highly detailed stats because the were all so importantly different from each other - yet without any illustrations or even descriptions of what the heck they are.

"So whatdya got?"
"Well, there's glaive-guisarme, glaive-fauchard-guisarme, glaive-spetum, halberd-spetum, glaive-guisarme-halberd-spetum, spetum-voulge-fauchard-spetum, spetum-voulge-spetum-halberd-fauchard-guisarme-spetum, lucerne hammer and spetum, Bohemian ear spoon and spetum, spetum-spetum-mancatcher-spetum, spetum-spetum-spetum-spetum-spetum-spetum-spetum-spetum-khopesh-spetum-spetum-spetum-spetum, and a double-bladed dwarven urgosh with a removable balanced throwing pommel, spring-loaded poisoned dagger blade, sharpened quillions, blood grove, retractable sling and built-in carrying case for a dozen bullets and a bore down the length of the whole thing that you can use as a blowgun and spetum."
"Have you got anything without spetum?"
"Well, there's spetum-voulge-fauchard-spetum. That's not got much spetum in it."
etc.