How to build an 'Umbrella' spell to keep rain/snow etc. off of character?

SteveZilla

This is for 6e.  Would this be a valid build for the effect I want?  Is there something cheaper that I'm not aware of?

Umbrella: Barrier (2m x 2m x ½m, 0 BODY, 2 PD/0 ED), Non Anchored (18 BP); Mobile(+¼), Dismissible(+¼) (27 AP); Restricted Shape("Umbrella" Above The Target; -¼), No Range(-½), Only Vs Effects From Weather (Rain, Hail, Sleet, Snow; -1)

I'm wanting a spell that shields the caster from mundane weather effects (rain, sleet, snow, hail), where the effect can be ended consciously, and doesn't impede moving through doorways or other narrow passages.

Thanks!

Do mundane weather effects have any mechanical impact in your game?  If not, I'd suggest a 1" Change Environment.  (Or even ask your GM if you can have it for zero points but maybe some reasonable END cost, since it doesn't do anything mechanically). 

If they do have mechanical effects, we'd have to know what those effects are to build appropriate countermeasures. 

I'm with the guy who said "let him just have it" (or words to that effect), as it doesn't have any value in the vast majority of game time (unless you are Adventuring in Seattle or the Amazon, - and- have ruled that being wet has serious disadvantages), _and_ assuming that it has no chance at all of protecting against any other than unpleasant weather..... 

Well, it's just not worth anything, given that most GMs will let you just _have_ an umbrella.  Get one of those head-mounted ones if you think having a hand full of droppable umbrella is a big thing.

At any rate, I'd call it a free cantrip, myself.  If that doesn't set well, tell him to make a second such "slightly increased comfort" spell and charge a point for the two. 

15 hours ago, SteveZilla said:

Umbrella: Barrier (2m x 2m x ½m, 0 BODY, 2 PD/0 ED), Non Anchored (18 BP); Mobile(+¼), Dismissible(+¼) (27 AP); Restricted Shape("Umbrella" Above The Target; -¼), No Range(-½), Only Vs Effects From Weather (Rain, Hail, Sleet, Snow; -1)

Barrier is probably overkill here. Change Environment (Precipitating to Non-Precipitating, AoE: 1m radius) for 1 point seems about right.

Thanks to everybody who contributed.  :)  My GM went with:

Change Environment (Precipitation [rain, sleet, hail, snow] To No Precipitation: 1 pt Telekinesis STR) (5 BP); Area Of Effect(1m Radius; +¼) (6 AP); No Range(-½)

Which, with the other spell-general Limitations made it cost 2 pts.

My other consideration was:

3  TK 2 STR; Affects Porous (13 BP); AoE(1m Radius; +¼) (16 AP); No Range(-½), Only To Deflect Precipitation [rain, sleet, hail, snow](-2)

Reminds me of J. Gile from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure : Stardust Crusaders. As an effect of bouncing his stand Hanged Man off the reflected surfaces of falling rain, no rain falls on top of him and he is able to walk in a downpour and not get noticeably wet. This is one of the things he did while he raped and killed Pol's sister.

Well, life support can protect one from temperature extremes, and environmental movement can negate penalties for being in water, it seems like one could suss out the net benefit of protection from precipitation.  You could do it with a 1 PD Force Field, 0 END, 2 points active, only to keep precipitation off character, real cost 1 point.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 11:47 PM, megaplayboy said:

Well, life support can protect one from temperature extremes, and environmental movement can negate penalties for being in water, it seems like one could suss out the net benefit of protection from precipitation.  You could do it with a 1 PD Force Field, 0 END, 2 points active, only to keep precipitation off character, real cost 1 point.  

An interesting take on the problem.  :)  Though to function like an "umbrella" (i.e., covering more than just the character's person), wouldn't it also need "Protects Carried Items"?  And to protect against the rain/snow/sleet from actually contacting the body would it not need Impermeable as well?

On 1/28/2020 at 7:15 AM, SteveZilla said:

An interesting take on the problem.  :)  Though to function like an "umbrella" (i.e., covering more than just the character's person), wouldn't it also need "Protects Carried Items"?  And to protect against the rain/snow/sleet from actually contacting the body would it not need Impermeable as well?

Yeah, that could work.  

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SteveZilla said:

I can't speak for Sean, but that's who I thought of.  Knowing that Sean's from the same island, I assume that's who he meant, but again:  not my brain. ;)

Oh-- since you've already gotten a GM-approved build, I can now safely offer you this one:

Complication:  rain refuses to touch character.  Rain wouldn't land on him, even if he were on fire.   10pts.  Spend them where you will.   :lol:

9 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I can't speak for Sean, but that's who I thought of.  Knowing that Sean's from the same island, I assume that's who he meant, but again:  not my brain. ;)

Oh-- since you've already gotten a GM-approved build, I can now safely offer you this one:

Complication:  rain refuses to touch character.  Rain wouldn't land on him, even if he were on fire.   10pts.  Spend them where you will.   :lol:

Interesting line of thought.  But because of another spell the character has that can be 'washed off', I think the umbrella is something I'd have to pay for as opposed to get points for.