Help me get into Bricks.

Revenant

I've often wanted to make this thread, but always talked myself out of it, but after reading the energy projector thread, I finally decided to make the thread.

I've played speedsters, energy projectors, mentalists, weapon masters, and almost every other character type, but I've never been able to get interested enough in bricks to make this character type. It's gotten so bad that we've got a minor insider joke when making characters where someone will ask me if I'm finally going to play the brick.

The reason I can't get into the character type is I feel they're very restricted. If an energy projector's main attack doesn't work, they'll usually have some kind of inherit back up plan like an entangle for instance. If a speedster is out gunned, they can still find other uses for their speed, and such can be said for the other characters I've played. If a brick isn't powerful enough to punch the villain out, what besides ineffectively punching them again can he do?

Please give me ideas of how to break through this mental block I have so that the next time they ask me if I'm playing the brick I can smile and hand them the already made character. :eg:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Help me get into Bricks.

I am currently playing a brick that has the ability to turn into metal,both solid and liquid like the T1000 from Terminator 2. This allows for some cool options (stretching, desolid, HKA) and team work (speedster + shapeshifting into metal ball = death hamster ball!!!)

Best thing to do is to give yourself a Multipower of Brick Tricks. For example' date=' you can do a Sonic NND based on the deafening hand-clap, a wind energy blast based on super-breath, the wrap-em-up Entangle, Shockwaves ...[/quote']

Absolutely. My best brick-tricks (okay, Kung Fu tricks) MP wound up having to get converted into a VPP, just because of the wide variety of Cool Things you can do. Mega-leaping kilometers at a time; 'Leaping Downwards' at insane speeds (40" gliding, downwards only) for a full-power smashing move-through; planting your feet and taking that speeding getaway truck right on the shoulder.

Hm, let me see...

This is Shu Ching. His skill at Kung Fu gives him a lot of Jet Li / Jackie Chan common-object 'weapon' stuff, but there are a lot of kick-butt things in there.

A Brick with a Martial Arts package can be a scary thing. The stereotypical situation is that of the brick who keeps swinging and missing while a quicker opponent keeps hitting him with small attacks that eventually wear him down. A Martial Arts package evens the odds there.

One great option is a Martial Arts package that focuses specifically on CV rather than on damage--after all, Bricks typically do enough damage that they don't really need the extra 2d6 from a Martial Strike. But a Brick with a Martial Dodge (+5 DCV), Martial Throw (normal OCV, +1 DCV), Martial Block (+2 OCV, +2 DCV), and a Passing Strike (+1 OCV, +3 DCV, and full normal damage plus velocity damage at the end of a Full Move) is going to give enemy Bricks and Martial Artists alike fits.

And did I mention that a Martial Arts package like the one I described above can usually be had for around 20-25 Character Points? :eg:

Also remember that when you're playing a brick, anything on the map can be a weapon. Anything. Cars, manhole covers, streetlights, trees, buses, Saturn V rocket boosters, you name it. These things generally A) increase your range, and B) effectively give you an Area Effect attack. Sure, you may not be able to hit a target more than once with a bus, but if that target is the annoying Martial Artist who keeps dancing around and taunting you, you may not need to hit him more than once.

A Brick with a Martial Arts package can be a scary thing. The stereotypical situation is that of the brick who keeps swinging and missing while a quicker opponent keeps hitting him with small attacks that eventually wear him down. A Martial Arts package evens the odds there.

So does Area Effect attacks...

Dude.

DUDE!

Bricks are EASY. They are like weapon masters and martial artists. Their abilities aren't JUST internal, like super strong and tough, but external in ways that other types aren't.

Need a range weapon? Pick up a car, a man hole cover, a tree, the neighbour's house, and boom you're ready. Need reach? Light post. Want to sweep several targets at once? Light post, tree, battleship.

The SCENERY is your weapon, being a brick is all about not caring about property damage. After all, what's money when you're saving lives?

Also remember that when you're playing a brick' date=' anything on the map can be a weapon. [i']Anything[/i]. Cars, manhole covers, streetlights, trees, buses, Saturn V rocket boosters, you name it. These things generally A) increase your range, and B) effectively give you an Area Effect attack. Sure, you may not be able to hit a target more than once with a bus, but if that target is the annoying Martial Artist who keeps dancing around and taunting you, you may not need to hit him more than once.

So does Area Effect attacks...

Wonder Woman even has both (if not exactly the way you guys were referring to). :sneaky:

One great option is a Martial Arts package that focuses specifically on CV rather than on damage--after all, Bricks typically do enough damage that they don't really need the extra 2d6 from a Martial Strike. But a Brick with a Martial Dodge (+5 DCV), Martial Throw (normal OCV, +1 DCV), Martial Block (+2 OCV, +2 DCV), and a Passing Strike (+1 OCV, +3 DCV, and full normal damage plus velocity damage at the end of a Full Move) is going to give enemy Bricks and Martial Artists alike fits.

And did I mention that a Martial Arts package like the one I described above can usually be had for around 20-25 Character Points? :eg:

check

"It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky

While I won't argue that every brick has to perform the role of the "Tank" on a team, most teams don't suffer from a lack of damage. IMHO, you can never have too much protection, however. Don't ignore the other facet of the brick, defense! It can be just as rewarding to take the mega-villain's best shots for the team and still be standing, as it is to smash stuff. I tend to vary my brick's defensive powers as much as my offensive ones. Bricks also can do well with powers where being hit is desirable, such as Missile Reflection, Absorbtion, Damage Shields (Clinging is a personal favorite), ect. Just remember there is more to being a brick then STR and Armor, just like there is more to a projector than an Energy Blast and Flight.

Here is an idea that might work for both you and for Checkmate. Make a brick into an energy projector. Build a brick on less than the required number of points and than fill in an energy blast based on a thrown missile weapon (just simple balls) and some skill levels with them. Adjust either the brickness or energy projectorness so as not to step on the toes of other players in the game.

Or a foot-stomp or ground-punch AoE/explosion on up to X STR' date=' Personal Immunity, is also nice. "Nyah nyah, ya missed... uh, you weren't aiming at me, were you..."[/quote']

I've used a similar attack. It's this

Entangle: 5d6 5 Def AE:Cone 6"

Only when ground struck, no range, does knockback

Transform 5d6 Limited target(ground), Linked to Ent.,

When ground struck, no range

"Tremor Attack"

Basically it's a shockwave that leaves the punched area in a cone shape causing solid ground to become rubble, trapping all within the AOE (thus the 5d6 Entangle). It's a great attack. Bricks are more than punching....superleap can be used as an attack or defensively. The bad guys go to run away, superleap over them and land in front of them blocking their exit.

I don't generally play bricks, myself. Usually I tend to play tricksters or energy manipulators. I would up playing a flying brick at one point, though, and was astonished at how fun it can be to have your whole strategy be "...and then I hit it again."

I've been in more campaigns where nobody but the brick can do significant damage to the big enemies than campaigns where the brick is stuck with nothing to do.

I would up playing a flying brick at one point' date=' though, and was astonished at how fun it can be to have your whole strategy be "...and then I hit it again."[/quote']

The complete version of this strategy adds "... harder this time".

Of course, that's missing the bit where your character drags herself out of the rubble where she landed after taking the full force of the Big Bad's best shot. Again.

"Invulnerability" is fun.