• Please log in to reply
2756 replies to this topic

#2741 Surrealone

Surrealone

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 908 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

the RFB is not convertible to multiple calibers 

Sure it is -- put it down and pick up another gun of a different caliber!  Think about it: with the RFB coming in ~US$1000 less than the MSRP price of the Desert Tech ... you can actually buy another gun of a different caliber ... and have two different firearms. :)

Also, a reminder -- you dial your rifle's scope in at one caliber ... then change calibers ... and have to dial it in for the second caliber.  This is a solid use case for simply having two different rifles ... of two different calibers ... each of which is dialed in -- and just grabbing and going.  (This, by the way, is my personal preference and approach, as well.)

"Evolutionary creativity always renders invalid the 'law of large numbers' and acts in an elitist way."

-- Erich Jantsch, The Self-Organizing Universe

#2742 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,045 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

Is this AD&Dv1 where encumbrance doesn't really matter?

...and that's when the destruction began.

#2743 Surrealone

Surrealone

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 908 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

I believe it's actual modern life where weapon selection while at headquarters, base camp, or at home before a reasonably brief mission is pretty normal -- regardless of whether that mission is a military operation outside of the Green Zone, a SWAT engagement to deal with an active shooter, or a day/weekend's hunt in the wild.  i.e. It's unlikely someone is encumbered by multiple rifles ... just as it's unlikely someone's humping multiple ammunition types meant to be fired through multiple barrels for a single rifle with multi-caliber barrel options for its platform.  (Most likely additional rifles, ammo, and barrels are handled from a logistical supply angle ... i.e. moved by truck or other non-human locomotion ... and swapped/restocked/changed between missions.  Exceptions for edge cases, of course, apply, but I believe this is the norm/rule in most scenarios.)

i.e. A 1984 'Red Dawn' scenario would be an outlier/exception ... not the norm, today.  (And even those kids had a sporting good shop as a supply depot, trucks, and a base camp from which they operated...allowing for weapon changes and resupply.)

"Evolutionary creativity always renders invalid the 'law of large numbers' and acts in an elitist way."

-- Erich Jantsch, The Self-Organizing Universe

#2744 DusterBoy

DusterBoy

Supernatural Cowboy

• 2,245 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

Desert tech mdr is finally shipping.  .308 only at first

Sweet looking gun.... chamber it in 7x43mm and then we can talk seriously.

Paranormal Investigator
Just a ghost in the wind, a mirage on the sand . . .

"There never was a golden age. It was only ever iron." Lord Hetwar The Hallowed Hunt, p204

"Utterly bleak and black is not the sum of realism. All the other colours are real, too." Lady Ijada, ibid, p230.

Two good maxims for running campaigns, I think.

10 Things Atheists and Christians Can And Must Agree On

#2745 pinecone

pinecone

Triple Millennial Master

• 4,762 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:37 PM

Well, they seem to offer several options. And if they mean to get millitary customs then I hear that 6.5 is likely to be the next Calliber of choice. :yes:

"Remember, with super power, comes super responsability" The mighty Strobe

#2746 gewing

gewing

just me

• 16,499 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

Well, they seem to offer several options. And if they mean to get millitary customs then I hear that 6.5 is likely to be the next Calliber of choice. :yes:

.280 British would be great, 6.5 Creedmoor would also I believe the .250 savage or .250 savage improved would be superb.   Both are effectively obsolete mostly because the original guns for the .250 had too slow a rifling twist to reliably stabilize bullets longer than a 100 gr spitzer cup and core bullet.  That and everyone is obsessed with velocity.   a 110 gr spitzer boattail at 2860 would generage about 2000 ft-lbs of energy, which many have long argued is the maximum cutoff for a controllable automatic rifle in a normal weight range.  

The new M80a1 load with the 130 gr bullet at iirc 3000fps is said to be very effective.     I wish I had the money to try developing a modern derivative of the Voss copper tubed aluminum bullets.  A steel core inside an aluminum body with a copper jacket for bore contact and weight distribution...   I figure instead of 106-113 grains, about 130 grains, but with a significantly higher BC than a traditional bullet of that weight...

"Life is too short for weak coffee or cheap beer"

#2747 pinecone

pinecone

Triple Millennial Master

• 4,762 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thats what I've heard...the 6.5 Creedmoor or something much like it. 

#2748 pinecone

pinecone

Triple Millennial Master

• 4,762 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

.280 British would be great, 6.5 Creedmoor would also I believe the .250 savage or .250 savage improved would be superb.   Both are effectively obsolete mostly because the original guns for the .250 had too slow a rifling twist to reliably stabilize bullets longer than a 100 gr spitzer cup and core bullet.  That and everyone is obsessed with velocity.   a 110 gr spitzer boattail at 2860 would generage about 2000 ft-lbs of energy, which many have long argued is the maximum cutoff for a controllable automatic rifle in a normal weight range.  

The new M80a1 load with the 130 gr bullet at iirc 3000fps is said to be very effective.     I wish I had the money to try developing a modern derivative of the Voss copper tubed aluminum bullets.  A steel core inside an aluminum body with a copper jacket for bore contact and weight distribution...   I figure instead of 106-113 grains, about 130 grains, but with a significantly higher BC than a traditional bullet of that weight...

Kickstarter?

#2749 gewing

gewing

just me

• 16,499 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

Kickstarter?

It might be a thought... Simplicity I'd like to do some research on weather certain aluminum Alloys can be forged

#2750 pinecone

pinecone

Triple Millennial Master

• 4,762 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:55 PM

Sounds like a fun project. I expect there is a Lot of literature on forging and other industrial techniques, Heck personally I expect Maker Box tech to become the "go to " home loading solution in the next decade.

#2751 gewing

gewing

just me

• 16,499 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:19 PM

The mdr, with suppressor, on full auto...
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=QiUn-rScl1o

#2752 gewing

gewing

just me

• 16,499 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

Sounds like a fun project. I expect there is a Lot of literature on forging and other industrial techniques, Heck personally I expect Maker Box tech to become the "go to " home loading solution in the next decade.

It looks like 3D printing doesn't have the Precision and smoothness I would need for the project so it would probably require CNC Machining to do the prototypes. This is one of the best images I found of the variations in his designs

Attached Thumbnails

• 7.92x40mm Cetme  1.jpg

#2753 pinecone

pinecone

Triple Millennial Master

• 4,762 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

There's a start up called Desktop Metals it's not practical now but if they take off it is the future.
It seems like you're interested in complex materials for their flight and impact characteristics. You should find a unemployed physics student as that looks like something math can do for you, making testing simpler.

#2754 gewing

gewing

just me

• 16,499 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

for initial tests, thinking about a custom mold, if Zamac 3 casts cleanly enough.  about 60% the weight of lead...   apparently can be used without lubricant.  

#2755 pinecone

pinecone

Triple Millennial Master

• 4,762 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

Cool, it's a fun hobby. Just be careful with metal casting it can get fierce. :rockon:

#2756 gewing

gewing

just me

• 16,499 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

I am really frustrated though.  My dad and I bought a beautiful mold MiHec 45 270 SAA with hollow point pins and I can't find it.   I hope none of my dad's "helpers" wandered it off.  I can't find his older molds, or his good melting pots either.   HOPEFULLY they just ended up placed somewhere odd...   

I found lots of lead...

His direct helpers seem to either know or care nothing about casting, but there are a few bucks involved, so there is always a chance...

I was looking at the MiHec site again, his molds and the bullets they produce are works of art.  

#2757 pinecone

pinecone

Triple Millennial Master

• 4,762 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, no need to lose hope...they May be stashed someplace. But, if nice things are invovled, and people get all scetchy, Then they may have "grown legs" and wandered off. Lets hope they show up though.