Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just watched a bunch of videos on possible future replacements for the 240, and the M4. It looks like the front runner wants to go for a mid size plastic cased 6.8. The last simi reasonable rummer I had heard was a modified 6,5  in a FN FAL rifle. I guess they can't decide on going with an assault rile and a "battle" rifle. so they will try to split the differance. Hopefully the troops won't have to pay for any mess ups.

From what I've read the various 6.5-6.8mm rounds are not just intermediate rounds, but are better engineered to have superior performance--an effective range close to that of 7.62mm with weight and terminal ballistics close to that of 5.56mm. 

Troops might have to pay for any mess ups, but taxpayers definitely will.

Yeah, I always get nervous around sales guy talk. Might be a super bullet that jams in the rifle. Or have other "production issues" .  But a cut down 6.5 would likely be the same as a "new" 6.8 ...time will tell. The cost issue is a "thing" as well. When you engineer a whole new system you can set new price points.......

6 hours ago, Sundog said:

If it's anything like all the other "New weapon trials" the US Army has conducted since the 1960s we'll wind up getting some interesting peripherals and the Army will get a new model of M-16.

What I'm seeing suggests just that. A "new" stoner system rifle, but in 6.8.

7 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Cav-X supercavitating bullets load into unmodified assault rifles and are effective underwater to ranges of 22 meters.

spacer.png

Um, doesn't that say 12.7mm? Thats closest to a .50. Maybe Seals can carry .50 assault rifles.;) Though once proven it could be sized down...

• 1 month later...

As one of the Gun guys around here. I keep an eye out for interesting technology showing up at the trade shows.

Here's one from a couple of days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExciiPs4550

In more detail the way Ian and Karl do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5u9k9qq2-o

it's in 9mm Parabellum, but costs $5000.00 US so it's not something you would see Police getting issues (yet), But the massively reduced recoil and a Red dot may have several focused levels of range mod reduction, plus an ability to follow up fast, which may reduce  the -2 penalty to follow up shots.

• 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sundog said:

Have to question the usefulness. There is such a thing as too high a fire rate, especially with a man-portable unit.

I was thinking the same thing. You just get one BWAARP! and all of your ammo is gone. For suppressive fire, that's not very good; you can only suppress while you're actually firing, as I understand it.

It would still be hella fun as a range toy, though.

10 hours ago, Brian Stanfield said:

I’m not familiar with those. Can you point me in the right direction?

It’s documented in The Armoury, Vol. 1 (Second Edition), available on DrivethruRPG. It’s a third party supplement for Espionage/ Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes. They go into formulas on how to convert muzzle energy to HERO dice amounts. If you have those (usually easy info, but if not, you can get it from reloading manuals).  The hard part of conversions are figuring out is the weapons have bonuses to range mods When set & braced ( what kind of scope and how powerful), if the bullet does extra stun (determined by bullet weight) ,  any bonuses to offset autofire minuses, due to design or compensators. And the like. 

4 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

It’s documented in The Armoury, Vol. 1 (Second Edition), available on DrivethruRPG. It’s a third party supplement for Espionage/ Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes. They go into formulas on how to convert muzzle energy to HERO dice amounts. If you have those (usually easy info, but if not, you can get it from reloading manuals).  The hard part of conversions are figuring out is the weapons have bonuses to range mods When set & braced ( what kind of scope and how powerful), if the bullet does extra stun (determined by bullet weight) ,  any bonuses to offset autofire minuses, due to design or compensators. And the like. 

Well, I’m in luck: I have that PDF! Thanks for the lead. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...