CU - Female Masterminds - That few?

novi

You can certainly gender-flip if there's no reason for the character to be male. For example, I can't see Kinematik's gender having any relevance. But the Supreme Serpent's gender is pretty inextricably woven into his background and mindset, so a female would have to be a very different character.

Regarding DC and Marvel female masterminds, yes, a few exist. I never said otherwise. But I notice folks are kind of scraping the barrel to try to bring their numbers up to Champions'. Which rather makes my point. ;)

I'd be remiss not to mention Champions' first female mastermind, Black Enchantress from The Coriolis Effect. You could treat her mother Ch'andarra separately, although I ended up conflating the two of them for my games. I got quite a bit of mileage out of that character back in the day, and her elemental flunkies, Flame, Wave, and Stone.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, Lord Liaden said:

(In my own games I had Gravitar encounter the Futurists, from Champions Villains Vol 2, and essentially co-opt their agenda and service.)

I am not familiar with this group.  Could you describe them to me?

18 hours ago, steriaca said:

The Supreme Serpent can just as well be female. Same with Luthor Black (Lilith Black?). I can't see a female Doctor Destroyer (the Nazi history tends to rule a female Destroyer out). Same with Murtie (sp!).

I could see a female Dr. Destroyer happening one way, as a side effect of his life-extension efforts. He finally found one that worked without problem with his test subjects, permanently restoring youth. However, it interacted with his unique genetic code in an unanticipated way than it did with his test subjects, the allele refresh removing his y-chromosomes and replacing them with copies of his x-chromosomes, yielding a 20-something Dr. Destroyer who happened to now be physically female.

6 hours ago, Mr. R said:

I am not familiar with this group.  Could you describe them to me?

Two villains which are more anti-government people. The Fiend is a slight sadist cause his mutant powers revolve around pain manipulation. The other guy, whose name escapes me, is just another guy in power armor.

The other guy is called Morticus. Former USA government covert agent, bitter about how he was treated by his country, which led him to want to establish a new world order. He uses high-tech armor with electrical weaponry. The Fiend is European aristocracy, and has a sense of noblesse oblige, which is how Morticus drew him into his schemes. They also sometimes work with a super-hacker known as Cybercide, described as essentially the same as Cybermind from CV 3, but with a more ruthless outlook.

I thought the Fiend would be the contact point with Gravitar. The Futurists' agenda would give her ambitions more purpose and focus, and maybe provide a rallying point for recruiting others. Of course once on board she'd insist on taking over.

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Perhaps, although her MO seems to favor letting someone else do the hard work of building up an organization, then backstab them and take over. Terror Inc. didn't survive her murder of Prof. Muerte intact, so I'm not sure how she'd handle actual control.

Well Terror Inc didn’t survive her control because the writer said so. 😁

3 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Well this is Champions after all. How many age retarding serums are out there? Among other things? 😁

Absolutely. However, one of the things I really appreciated, when Hero Games was publishing Champions Universe supplements, was that the majority of their characters actually did age normally. Many of the named supers of the past retired, even died of complications from age. No few identities were taken up by a super's child, or protege, or fan. Just among the official published characters we had two Golden Avengers, two Amazing Mans (Men?), two Flashovers, two Streaks, three Scarlet Archers, three Brawlers, four Meteor Mans, half-a-dozen All-Americans, and of course, ten Black Masks; just to name a few.

I would have expected that trend to continue had Hero continued putting out CU supplements.

1 hour ago, pbemguy said:

Madame Synn or Dark Malice been mentioned? Both from the Champions comics. Anyone have stats for them?

(Madame Synn is Icestar's arch-enemy.)

image.png.de10238f5bec55af85dbe143da42e674.pngMadame Synn

malice.jpgDark Malice

Malice was originally a key figure in the Champions mini-series by Eclipse Comics that brought Icestar, Marksman, Flare etc. into comic form. Each character had pre-4E Champions game stats. IIRC Malice at full power had a 180-pt. VPP, but not that much END to power it. Her other stats were low-level superhuman (at least by 5E/6E standards). Malice was never in any Hero Games books.

I never saw game stats for Madame Synn, or for that matter read any comics with her in them, so I don't know if she was ever written up for Champions.

17 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Malice was originally a key figure in the Champions mini-series by Eclipse Comics that brought Icestar, Marksman, Flare etc. into comic form. Each character had pre-4E Champions game stats. IIRC Malice at full power had a 180-pt. VPP, but not that much END to power it. Her other stats were low-level superhuman (at least by 5E/6E standards). Malice was never in any Hero Games books.

I never saw game stats for Madame Synn, or for that matter read any comics with her in them, so I don't know if she was ever written up for Champions.

(Oops. I don't know why I was calling her "Dark Malice," it's just "Malice," you are correct.)

Malice seemed interesting in the comic series, seemed mastermind-ish, and her stats are in the comics (VPP as you mentioned), although I don't have the comics in my current location. She would be interesting to resurrect since she is part of the CU, albeit perhaps peripherally (extended CU?).

Anyone have her background/personality blurb?

(I mean, we're not talking about publishing her, we're talking about putting her in a campaign, non? Wouldn't it be fun to bring her back? Plus, if you read the comics, you can get a feel for her personality.)

Found this:

Link: http://spectrumofmadness.blogspot.com/2010/11/champions-3-4.html

As for Malice, she was a malicious spirit who was entombed after stealing the secret of immortality from the god Zeus. Eventually the tomb was discovered by Melissa D’Arque, who became the new host of her soul. To recharge herself after centuries of confinement she sucked her companion dry, but lucky for the world he found a magic harness in the depths of the tomb that not only saved his life but changed him into the first Giant. Which the gods had left for a champion to find to use to destroy Malice. Rather than take back their immortality since they had, after all, already neutralized her.

and

She was the doom of the Olympian Gods. A demon of hatred who posed as Persephone, the daughter of Zeus. After centuries of effort, she at last succeeded in stripping the gods of their immortality, and was punished with a curse that doomed her to an eternity of imprisonment beneath the sands of Egypt.

But in the year 1932, the demon escaped the curse of Persephone by possessing the body of a mortal woman. She became Dark Malice. In that guise, for more than five decades, has sought to spread her particular brand of evil across the entire globe.

Link: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/malice/4005-26823/

(Sometimes they do call her Dark Malice. Which is not as good as just Malice, but it happens...)

There was never any writeup on Madam Synn. All e know is that she has a lot of hi-tech toys and manpower in the form of agents. She doesn't appear to have much in the way of powers. All we know I that Cynthia Wu is smart enough to constantly pull the wool over Icestar's eyes.