Ready... set... Actions?

Terminax

Is it possible to have a character with the ability to do multiple actions on the same phases during a turn? 

One way I can think of is using a computer (or multiple computers?) linked to a character who has multiple cybernetic limbs, each capable of firing their own distinct blaster but that seems... rather involved to get the intended effect. I have a couple of other ideas for other characters that can do distinct multiple actions on the same phases during the turn, but let's work out this cyborg one first.

15 hours ago, Terminax said:

Is it possible to have a character with the ability to do multiple actions on the same phases during a turn? 

We already have rules for Multiple Attacks, and for reducing the time it takes to perform skills (perhaps with the SFX that the character is performing the skills simultaneously instead of sequentially). Did you have an example that would not be covered by those rules?

5 hours ago, pawsplay said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't you just buy all the attacks, and use them variously for Multiple Attacks and Combined Attacks?

This is what I would do. Multiple Attacks and Combined Attacks cover a lot of situations.  To avoid or minimise the penalties of multiple attacks, I would take inspiration from Two-Weapon Fighting, Rapid Attack and Penalty Skill Levels. As an example:

Automated Targeting Systems: While using ATS, ranged Multiple Attacks take a half phase and OCV/DCV penalties are reduced by 4 each (33 CP)

You might want to add a condition or two like "Requires a Computer Operations skill check at -3 to activate" or "Drains Battery (Cost 3 END each phase)" both a -½ limitation which would bring the cost down to 22 CP or 17 CP if both are required.

Sub elements come from:

a. Ignores -2 OCV, allowing to make an additional attack at no penalty (based on two-Weapon Fighting) - 10 CP per level

b. Counteracts 1 DCV penalty imposed by the Multiple Attack maneuver. It can never raise DCV above the character base value - 2 CP per level

c. Multiple Attack only takes a half phase (based on Rapid Attack) - 5 CP for HTH or Ranged only; 10 CP for any kind of Attacks.

The reason I had asked, is checking my version of Champions Complete, is that you specifically can't use Combat levels to counteract the penalty of Multiple Attacks plus you can't use Autofire or powers with Extra Time, among other restrictions.

A "Trigger" attack might be used (the trigger can be as simple as "I Already Used An Attack And Am Holding A Weapon Which I Could Of Used When Not Using Said Attack").

See page 118 of Champions Complete. Note that activating a Trigger is NOT an Attack Action. (In fact triggering a trigger is a zero phase action normally).

Normally there is no rule that you can't have a daisy chain of triggers, one after another. But man, that would be totally ridiculous after the third trigger (let alone the 30th trigger). A trigger can't be it's own power hitting.

(Don't forget like I did that Trigger powers still need to hit.)

There is no problem with applying CSLs, provided they are sufficiently broad. You just can't specialize in Multiple Attacks.

If you are really stuck on having an Autofire attack, you could make a minigun as Duplication or a Follower.

Or you could make a "multi-blaster attack" with Autofire and define that each hit is a different blaster.

Or maybe it looks like Autofire but you have a version that is single-fire for use with Multiple Actions.

Or maybe you buy +1 Speed, Only with automated weapon systems -1/4, which requires you to use one of the related weapon systems and doesn't allow unrelated actions during that Phase apart from normal movement.

On 3/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, Terminax said:

The reason I had asked, is checking my version of Champions Complete, is that you specifically can't use Combat levels to counteract the penalty of Multiple Attacks plus you can't use Autofire or powers with Extra Time, among other restrictions.

To be honest, I am not too worried about that. HERO always had this tendency to tell us "don't do this" for fear of upsetting game balance. Some of the builds in 5E, 5R and 6E tends to be clever, complex and convoluted. I prefer them to be simple and easy.

In this case, there is a maneuver doing exacly what you want and you have a computer system that counteracts the penalties of the maneuver. So let's do that with the rules. PSL, Rapid Attack and Two-Weapom Fighting are a good start to do just that. Note that TWF does exactly what later they tell us "shouldn't be done".

The next step is to look at the point value. You do not state the framework of your campaign but 33 points is equivalent to have a 2d6k with a +1 advantage or a 4d6k with a +½ advantage or +3 SPD.

I'm trying to be fairly precise to 6E Champions Complete, as this is being developed for the Hall of Champions.

Point value is set around the 400 Standard - 500 High Powered Superheroic scales with it probably being a bit bumped up since this is intended as a powerful, single villain capable of taking on a team on his lonesome. I apologize on getting a post-able version out. It's mostly because RL work has suddenly picked back up and I've been running around doing quotes and it's hard to switch back and forth between game math and work math. Since things are quiet today thanks to poor weather I'll be able to work on that.

Anyhow, the intent is to have a character with two cybernetic left arms, each with a shared/unique multipower able to operate in conjunction with or independently to the attached character whose right arm has a similar gauntlet/bracer based multipower. My current figuring is each multipower will be 55-65 AP based around an energy blast slot, a ranged killing attack slot both of which will be the same on each limb plus 2-3 unique slots per arm, like a specialized EB or RKA (Autofire or Armor Piercing), flash, an entangle, or drain etc etc. Some attacks will all feed from the END Battery while others will be set of charges of a limited nature (4-8 let's say). Each of the cybernetic arms will also having the same 25 Strength plus +2 HA and a very limited missile deflection so if he has the ability to whirl around with each limb offensively and defensively. Each arm will also one or two unique flourishes specific to that limb. The character will also be ambidextrous. Think of him as a powerful, all in one equivalent to squad of heavy duty agents.

18 hours ago, Terminax said:

Anyhow, the intent is to have a character with two cybernetic left arms, each with a shared/unique multipower able to operate in conjunction with or independently to the attached character whose right arm has a similar gauntlet/bracer based multipower. My current figuring is each multipower will be 55-65 AP based around an energy blast slot, a ranged killing attack slot both of which will be the same on each limb plus 2-3 unique slots per arm, like a specialized EB or RKA (Autofire or Armor Piercing), flash, an entangle, or drain etc etc. Some attacks will all feed from the END Battery while others will be set of charges of a limited nature (4-8 let's say). Each of the cybernetic arms will also having the same 25 Strength plus +2 HA and a very limited missile deflection so if he has the ability to whirl around with each limb offensively and defensively. Each arm will also one or two unique flourishes specific to that limb. The character will also be ambidextrous. Think of him as a powerful, all in one equivalent to squad of heavy duty agents.

You may want to take a look at the Steel Tentacles writeup in the equipment guide (pg 183). Each is built as an Automaton, which is purchased as a Follower.