Pariah

On 8/27/2021 at 12:43 PM, Cancer said:

This weekend here in Seattle is a novelty: a double-header of soccer games, both rivalry games (it is rivalry day in MLS).  The opener is the women's teams, the Reign vs the Portland Thorns; the later game is the MLS match,  Sounders vs the Portland Timbers.  Forecast is sunny with highs in the 70s.

Reign won.

Sounders were kind of there and then made sure they lost.

Miguel Angel Lopez wins stage 18 of the Vuelta

Dame Sarah Storey wins her 17th gold medal at the Paralympics and is the most successful paralympian who is still competing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/58418157

Christiano Ronaldo breaks men's International goal scoring record with 110th and 111th goals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58412201

Clement Champoussin wins stage 20 of the Vuelta in a mugging. with several of the favourites watching ach other Clement made a v=break for it within 2 Km and won.

This was the last competitive stage of the Vuelta as the last stage is a Time Trial.  Miguel Angel Lopez quit the race with 20 Km remaining and as he was in the top three this is a big deal. Spitting out his dummy like a spoilt child is how some commentators have put it

Max Verstappen wins the Dutch Grand Prix which is the first time a Formula 1 Grand Prix has been run there since 1985.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58455786

Final Paralympic Table. China got over 200 medals. Britain is second with 124 medals. Now the USA is either third or fourth. On Golds and Silvers third, on total medals fourth. The Russian paralympic Committee is either fourth or third.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/58267874

Any tennis major has a few stories of players making enormous moves, and leapfrogging significantly in the rankings.  This year:

--on the womens' side, we've got a pair of 18 year olds.  Emma Raducanu of England has made the round of 16;  she'll play later.  She's gone from 150 in the world to 100.  That's a huge jump;  top 100 means automatic entry (not having to qualify) at all the Slams.  LOSING in first round in the Slams is still a major payday;  if you play in all 4, you make about $175K.  Leylah Fernandez took out Osaka earlier...and *just* beat Kerber to reach the quarters.  Another 18 year old, and I swear, she looks 16.  She moves from 73 to inside the top 50...which is also big.  Top 50 generally gets you an entry into ALL the WTA events, including the equivalent of the mens' Masters 1000 events which have smaller draws.  But they pay quite nicely, and between the Grand Slams and those events, there's a LOT of cash and ranking points to continue up the ladder for a while, or at least remain near that level.

--on the men's side, first, there's Carlos Alcaraz...another 18 year old kid.  He's been moving up all summer, so less of a move at the Open.  The movers...Jenson Brooksby of the US has made it into the round of 16.  He's climbed from 99 to 80, so pretty safely into all the Slams, and should be able to get into some of the 500-rated events.  Alcaraz is currently playing Peter Gojowczyk in the round of 16.  He's 32, but most likely a long-term journeyman...140 in the world.  He's climbed to 100.  And the winner either way will jump QUTE a bit more.  The last one is Botic van de Zandschulp...try saying that one 3 times fast.  Another journeyman...25.  Made a mild move this year, but mostly still not a full Tour-level player at 117.  Beat Schartzmann (the 11 seed) to make the quarters...and he's jumped up to 62 in the live rankings.

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

On the flip side, this is beyond the pale! :thumbdown 

Sloan Stephens flooded with hate mail after 3rd round loss

If you watch the video, you'll see this has happened to other players as well.

Pretty much the norm for modern times.  Regardless of what you do or say there will be someone that will take offense and send hate mail or hate whatevers. 

The worst ones are the contortionists who find offense about nothing on someones else's behalf. 

Anonymity has opened the flood gates and I don't know why anyone is surprised. 

The US Open announced it would have quiet rooms and counselors onsite for the players.

The story I saw was on Fox News.  The comments I saw...the first maybe 20 of em...were universally caveman level.  None were as crude or threatening...I suspect even Fox wouldn't publish those, as they could be held liable for them...but completely clueless.  

Yeah, this has been building.  We don't hear about it that often, but...from time to time stories do come out.  I suspect it's worse in the individual sports, only in that all the blame or credit is clearly focused on the one person.

Hopefully FB will boot a lot of these people...certainly the one actively threatening should be banned.  But it's too easy to get back on right now.  And do we really want proof of identity to sign onto a social media site?  I had to send pics of my license to sign onto a poker site...but that involves money transactions.  That's different.  Unfortunately, tho, I think ultimately some form of ID verification will have to be enforced eventually.  The tiny fraction of <BLEEEEEEPPPPPP>s will force it on the rest of us. 

6 hours ago, Spence said:

Pretty much the norm for modern times.  Regardless of what you do or say there will be someone that will take offense and send hate mail or hate whatevers. 

The worst ones are the contortionists who find offense about nothing on someones else's behalf. 

Anonymity has opened the flood gates and I don't know why anyone is surprised. 

Not surprise, disgust.