2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Ebb and flow.  

Some teams have grossly underperformed, like Denver and especially Green Bay.  Numerous cases of Rose-Colored Glasses Syndrome...Rams lost so much, but that Super Bowl win, man.  Bucs.  Packers, to a point.  

Some of it is scheduling.  NFC East is playing the NFC North...1 good team, 3 awful ones...and AFC South, which is about the same, but worse.  Philly has wins over Detroit, Jacksonville, and Houston;  those teams have a combined 6 wins in 25 games.  They also beat the Vikes...not pushovers.  But a good team should go 6-2 against that group.  AFC East is playing AFC North...Ravens started slow, so if you caught them early you got a break.  Bengals are WAY down.  Browns and Steelers are pretty bad, and IMO that should not be surprising.  They're also playing the NFC North.

There's always some years where the divisional crossovers work out to strongly favor some divisions.

36 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The Raiders will find a way to lose that game.  Mark my words.

a little after halftime my brother commented on all the close games. I said the Raiders seemed the only non close, but I expect them to make it close. Next thing my brother typed was that I was right and Raiders gave up 17 straight points.

I feel for him, he is a Raider fan and just a few years ago they seemed so close.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:05 AM, unclevlad said:

Not working that way for me.  Do you have an ESPN+ subscription?  Yes, then streaming through Xfinity is free...but that's not the same thing.  

Found it! If you have the Disney+/Hulu package ESPN+ is the third leg of it. So not free but not an uncommon thing. If you have Disney+ or Hulu for $3 more you get all three. 

How bout them Panthers?

I say we adopt them as the forum's choice to win their division.  Why not?  Come back after a complete debacle 4 days ago?  Gotta love it.  And no one expects *anything* from them.  Besides, the division and the league both deserve it.  And it's not like anyone else in the division is worth rooting for.  

Sounds like almost every Bronco game this year.

Beginning to wonder if Pete Carroll's pulling a Mike Shanahan impersonation...scheme helping team to get off to a good start, but then the league catches up.  Flip side, of course...teams take forever to actually round into form.  That might be part of the Bucs' case.  

Same story as so many others, for the Denver offense.  Some decent play in a first half, absolutely nothing in the second.  The drama for me is whether this'll end up as another game where there are < 30 points combined.

Bears blow a 14 point 4th quarter lead to the Lions.  They score a TD to retake the lead...then miss the XP.  Detroit moves it again to get a 3rd TD in the 4th quarter...and makes theirs.  31-30 Lions.

Buffalo's collapse is worse.  Late 3rd, kick a FG to go up 27-10.  Then, first scrimmage play for Vikes goes 81 for a TD.  Bills drive the ball deep into the red zone...until Josh Allen throws a red zone pick.  Vikes smash out a 13 play TD drive...4 point game, as *they* miss the XP.  Buffalo goes 3 and out, losing 5 yards.  Vikes get the ball on their 24 with 3+ minutes left...and smash it back downfield again, to get a 1st and goal with a minute left.

LOTS of reviews since then.  Right now the last one is whether Vikes score on 4th down, or whether it's Buffalo's ball.  BILLS get the ball.

BUT WAIT!!!!  This is the description of the next play from the gamecast.

:49) B.Hart reported in as eligible. J.Allen FUMBLES (Aborted) at BUF 1, RECOVERED by MIN-E.Kendricks at BUF 0. TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Official reviewed the loose ball recovery ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field stands. G.Joseph extra point is GOOD, Center-A.DePaola, Holder-R.Wright.

SAY WHAT?  Is this gonna be a new addition to the pantheon of Pisarcik, the Sanchez butt fumble, and the like?   I wasn't watching it, but I'm sure it'll be on every halftime and postgame show.  Bills are down to 30 seconds with the ball on their 40, trying to get into FG position.  ANDDD....so what else is new?  Vikes in a prevent, likely...so the Bills now have it on the Vikes' 25 with 17 seconds left...and MAKE the tying FG.  

Unreal.  SOOO much unsound play, is my read.  And they have to cut away for their national game...........

And in Tennessee, several plays for Wilson are a comedy of errors, including completely impossible 4th down throw that gets picked.  Granted, he did somehow manage to get them into position to score, but as usual, couldn't seal the deal.  17-10 final...yep, another under 30.  5th such game.  Denver's scoring defense is 2nd or 3rd in the league;  Buffalo's was better but they've given up 30.  Theirs is now only 1 point better, both with 9 games.  Dallas was also right there.  But with today, Denver's back to the lowest scoring offense...both total points AND PPG.

Hey, for those who are curious, the CFL Western Conference championship is on ESPNNews right now. The BC Lions are visiting the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for a chance to play in the Grey Cup. The Eastern Conference finals took place earlier; the Toronto Argonauts beat the Montreal Alouettes 34-27 to advance.

Update: Bombers scored on their first possession to take an early lead 6-0 (PAT wide right).