Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

20 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And the Daily Beast is reporting:

a)  Musk insinuates Bronny James' cardiac incident could be related to being vaccinated

b)  Fact checking statements about the tweet were quickly removed 

Antagonize LeBron?  About a VERY!!!!! sensitive personal issue???  Beyond the irresponsible nature of the tweet, beyond the hypocrisy in removing the fact checking...LeBron is still a significant brand in his own right.  The companies Musk is trying to draw back to his platform as advertisers, will consider this another sign that they can't trust Musk.

The man is the world's champion at sticking his foot in his mouth.

Oh, it gets better: Jason Whitlock Doesn't Believe LeBron and Bronny James Took COVID Vaccine

Dueling conspiracy theories? Woo-hoo!

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Oh, it gets better: Jason Whitlock Doesn't Believe LeBron and Bronny James Took COVID Vaccine

Dueling conspiracy theories? Woo-hoo!

Only if you think Whitlock has 2 functioning brain cells.  From his time on ESPN, I'd say that's questionable.

36 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Hey, I'm seeing a honkin' big class action lawsuit...altho proving individual claims might be tricky due to lack of evidence.  Unless people kept the emails cancelling their service calls, who's to say it happened?  

This might get very messy with the Feds too.

Having an out-of-body experience? Blame this sausage-shaped piece of your brain

Dr. Josef Parvizi remembers meeting a man with epilepsy whose seizures were causing some very unusual symptoms.

"He came to my clinic and said, 'My sense of self is changing,'" says Parvizi, a professor of neurology at Stanford University.

The man told Parvizi that he felt "like an observer to conversations that are happening in my mind" and that "I just feel like I'm floating in space."

Parvizi and a team of researchers would eventually trace the man's symptoms to a "sausage-looking piece of brain" called the anterior precuneus.

This area, nestled between the brain's two hemispheres, appears critical to a person's sense of inhabiting their own body, or bodily self, the team recently reported in the journal Neuron.

The finding could help researchers develop forms of anesthesia that use electrical stimulation instead of drugs. It could also help explain the antidepressant effects of mind-altering drugs like ketamine.

7 hours ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

From the story:

She was taken to the hospital for a physical and psychiatric evaluation and remains on a 72-hour hold at the hospital.

"While we know that this is someone experiencing a mental health crisis, we also have a crime scene that we need to handle because there are rounds that have been fired. We need to process that scene," Barclay said.

Not that this makes anyone anywhere near the scene feel any better...

5 hours ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

You mean the free speech forum he bans people from for teasing him? Gee, I can't see that happening! 

I actually think that's the only reason he bought it...so he has a massive platform to say what he wants and not be talked down.

It certainly wasn't  to turn a profit.

Edited by Starlord

On 7/26/2023 at 1:50 PM, Ranxerox said:

When I heard about this on the radio, I found myself saying the f-word over and over again.  I wasn't saying it anger, but with more as "how can this be?".  She was still so young, and she had so much life and so much charm.  It just doesn't quite compute for me.

Amanda Palmer and Morrisey are angry enough at O'Connor's death for everyone.

4 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

The lesson here is: don't recycle. 

That wasn't the issue, or the message.  

The core issue is what happens when adjacent jurisdictions have radically different rules?  It's not like it's new;  dry counties adjacent to wet counties, a smart liquor store owner will try to locate on a corridor road near the border with the dry county.  California has a deposit on cans and bottles;  Arizona doesn't.  The notion of fraud is that the state received funds to redistribute IF you recycle...but those funds are connected to paying those deposits in the first place.

The situation is analogous to Powerball and Mega Millions tickets.  They're trackable;  it's in the QR code on the ticket, I assume.  (They have to be because the store that sold a big ticket, is entitled to a cut.)  The rules state:  a ticket can only be redeemed in the state of issuance.  Obviously, marking empty beverage containers is less than practical.  

I call BS on the melted tail lights. Most tail lights are made out of polycarbonate, which has a melting point above 288°C. I'd expect the plastic used on the bumper cover to melt before the tail lights do. Short of parking near a Rafael Viñoly-designed building, it's unlikely to get melted tail lights.

Meanwhile, we're expecting a high of 113°F (45°C) today in Vegas, which is actually about right for this time of year.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

I call BS on the melted tail lights. Most tail lights are made out of polycarbonate, which has a melting point above 288°C. I'd expect the plastic used on the bumper cover to melt before the tail lights do. Short of parking near a Rafael Viñoly-designed building, it's unlikely to get melted tail lights.

As if surface temperatures don't drastically exceed ambient, especially in direct sunlight.  That's not even the only melting-taillight footage out there.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

Meanwhile, we're expecting a high of 113°F (45°C) today in Vegas, which is actually about right for this time of year.

New normal, maybe.  Good thing you're not a frog.

weather_averages.gif

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

As if surface temperatures don't drastically exceed ambient, especially in direct sunlight.  That's not even the only melting-taillight footage out there.

New normal, maybe.  Good thing you're not a frog.

weather_averages.gif

I park my car in my driveway, where it's exposed to direct sunlight for a good portion of the day. The only thing on the car that's sun damaged is the license plate, because Nevada tried to move away from metal license plates for a few years. It's a non-embossed piece of plastic. The coating has darkened and cracked from 9 years of sun damage, and the numbers have faded dramatically. In theory, NV DMV is supposed to send out replacement plates automatically after 8 years, but we'll have to wait and see if that happens when I get my tags (should be in the mail any day now). The plastic used for the headlight and tail light lenses is more likely to cloud from sun damage, and there's a bit of that in the headlights.

Now, it is possible to melt car parts from concentrated sunlight, usually reflected off of something. Several years back, the Vdara Hotel became known for its "death beam", where the concave, mirrored windows would focus beams of light that would scorch people and things on their pool deck. The same architect was also responsible for 20 Fenchurch in London, which melted a Jaguar around 2013

I'm in the bottom of the Vegas Valley, which means that our temperatures are usually a couple of degrees higher than the city of Las Vegas. Right now, it's 112°F in my ZIP code, 110°F in downtown Las Vegas, and 105°F in the Summerlin area (where I work). Summerlin's about 1500 feet higher up than me*, and it will sometimes get snow in the winter.

*Average trip to work is 40MPG, average trip from work is 70MPG (for the first six miles or so, it can coast at about 75 MPH if I don't check my speed).

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I'm in the bottom of the Vegas Valley, which means that our temperatures are usually a couple of degrees higher than the city of Las Vegas. Right now, it's 112°F in my ZIP code, 110°F in downtown Las Vegas, and 105°F in the Summerlin area (where I work). Summerlin's about 1500 feet higher up than me*, and it will sometimes get snow in the winter.

Yeah, one thing that often goes unnoticed is how local topography can influence things.  Here, the Rio Grande River valley is to the west, rising to the east to the east mesa area, maybe 100-200 feet higher, and proceeding towards the Organ Mountains.  Those aren't all that tall...the main pass for us, San Augustin Pass, is only about 5700 feet...but very narrow.  (There's a section called the Needles.)  Used to ride from the east side, down into the valley...and REALLY noticed it on winter mornings.  Wasn't that much of a drop, but the temp dropped a good 5-7 degrees.  And now I'm out on the east mesa;  it's a little higher, generally breezier (nothing like near San Augustin Pass, where the sharp mountains wreak havoc with air currents), maybe a few degrees cooler in summer...and a couple degrees warmer in winter.  Not a lot.

Even more...I believe the official weather station for Las Cruces is out at the airport.  It's 20 miles to the west...WELL out of the valley.  There's a significant uphill stretch;  you gain several hundred feet, I think, as you head out onto the west mesa country.  (Driving east, the view as you start down this climb is spectacular.)  It's QUITE different from anything any local would call "Las Cruces."  We're not talking radically different...most of the time...but it isn't the most representative location.