Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

<sigh>

The Navy's now saying that a secret sound detection/analysis system used to track subs, detected a sound consistent with an implosion, at the time when contact with the Titan was lost.  They informed the Coast Guard, but it wasn't spread out because of the obvious chilling effect it would've had.  

So it is likely it went down as feared...one second fine, the next..........  

I will say, PURELY from a personal perspective, I'd rather have it happen like that, than a days-long linger......  but still.  FAR better to never happen at all.

12 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

<sigh>

The Navy's now saying that a secret sound detection/analysis system used to track subs, detected a sound consistent with an implosion, at the time when contact with the Titan was lost.  They informed the Coast Guard, but it wasn't spread out because of the obvious chilling effect it would've had.  

So it is likely it went down as feared...one second fine, the next..........  

I will say, PURELY from a personal perspective, I'd rather have it happen like that, than a days-long linger......  but still.  FAR better to never happen at all.

This man knows a little about deep sea submersibles (and Titanics) and has an opinion about OceanGate.

I drove down the border highway, where literally, heading south and southeast, Mexico is directly off your right side...for QUITE a few miles, depending on the road you're on.  But if you're going into SE El Paso?  You'll be on one of those roads, and you'll definitely see signs pointing out the routes to the bridge.

Still, what I'm reading...the woman's reaction was panic, to start with, but it had to have its roots in what she saw, read, believed...something like the Wild West still happens out here.  That kind of overreaction doesn't just happen out of the clear blue sky.

News story reports there's a GoFundMe raising money for the family.  If you're motivated to do so, just google "gofundme piedra" and it was easy to find.

6 hours ago, Bazza said:

A group promoting healthy food choices asked a Georgia baseball team to change its name. Here’s how the Macon Bacon responded

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/24/us/macon-bacon-baseball-team-name-change-request-trnd/index.html

Sounds like this group has the perfect answer to a question nobody asked. 

It's worth noting that Macon, GA also had a minor league hockey team called the Macon Whoopie. Their logo was a fig leaf.

6 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Roy Thomas On The Stan Lee Documentary

I have yet to see it myself, and I'm sure most here are aware of it and the surrounding controversy, but I figure if there's an impartial voice to be heard on the subject, it would be Rascally Roy's.

Not so much.  Roy Thomas was basically Stan's right hand man for years, and many of the people who held grudges against Stan didn't like Roy either.

16 hours ago, Bazza said:

A group promoting healthy food choices asked a Georgia baseball team to change its name. Here’s how the Macon Bacon responded

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/24/us/macon-bacon-baseball-team-name-change-request-trnd/index.html

Others among us of a certain age, may also share a cringe...from that story:

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which describes itself as an animal liberation research and advocacy organization, wrote a letter to the Macon Bacon’s president, Brandon Raphael, earlier in June.

Animal "liberation" has some really bad memories...of groups who wrecked years of lab studies by breaking into research labs and, IIRC, destroying the lab animals...rats, guinea pigs, that sort.  Used in serious disease research.

I can agree with a lot of what PETA wants, but they're far, far too extreme in too many areas for me.

I agree with Mr. P.  The club's response was spot on.  There might be others I might've considered, but nothing that would be family friendly...

On a somber note

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/28/americas/titan-submersible-debris-st-johns/index.html

I'm glad.  Families can get some closure now, hopefully.  Pleasantly surprised, too;  that tech is GOOD.

And my vicious streak wants to find enough negligence on OceanGate's part to rip their liability waivers to pieces.  

Quoting from LA Times because paywall. 

Why are killer whales going ‘Moby-Dick’ on yachts lately? Experts doubt it’s revenge

The attacks started suddenly and inexplicably in the spring of 2020 — pods of endangered killer whales began ramming yachts and fishing boats in European waters, pushing some off course and imperiling others.

Since then, there have been more than 500 reports of orca encounters off the Iberian Peninsula, the most recent occurring Thursday when a trio of whales rubbed against and bumped a racing sloop in the Strait of Gibraltar.

In most cases, the financial and structural damage has ranged from minimal to moderate: Boats have been spun and pushed, and rudders have been smashed and destroyed. Three vessels have been so badly mauled, they’ve sunk.

14 hours ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Early comment about the story:

If you put this in a movie, no one would believe it, not even Quentin Tarantino.

I'd be happy to diss the kid til the cows come home, and suggest this belongs in the Dumb Criminals thread......but this piece of sub-moronic refuse killed a total innocent.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's hard to sit a jury for this trial, if it goes that far.  Maryland is not a death penalty state, so there's no chance of pleading in return for taking that off the table.  It could go to trial;  the kid has little to lose.  Granted, from the story, he's pretty much certain to be in jail for a very, very long time;  the facts suggest he's got no real chance at trial.  His mother is apparently saying he's been having mental health issues, so...ok, there may be that route, but I'm not sure that a prison psych ward is preferable.