Is Hero still your "go-to" rpg system?

fdw3773

• 2 weeks later...

And that about sums up EABA, really.

:lol:

it was by - forgive the spelling- Duaghtry / Dockerty--  the Guns Guns Guns guy.

supposedly he keeps it current, updating the PDF version along and along.

haven't seen it in print since I dont know when.

Edited by Duke Bushido
Good God, the typos!

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'd tell him to wash his hair next time before he goes on camera

In all fairness

(And this will be the last such comment I ever make, as I am in no position to critique someone's relative appeal), I expect he is using the mascara technique, where a little bit of oil and dust makes the hair look a bit thicker.

Kind of like that spray-glue-and-cat-fur stuff they spray on the newsroom guys.

9 hours ago, Alcamtar said:

What's the difference between "multi-genre" and "universal?"

A universal system stays the same system from one genre to the next, a multi-genre system changes as you do so.

Multi-genre is their term, I prefer "core system," but I guess that's a bit more not-universal, since it means a whole new game, not just a new worldbook.

Like Hero before the BBB was a core system. Champions, Espionage, Fantasy Hero, etc, were separate games.  BBB on, universal. (Though there's a few arguable variations, like hit locations or not; or skills)

11 hours ago, Opal said:

A universal system stays the same system from one genre to the next, a multi-genre system changes as you do so.

Multi-genre is their term, I prefer "core system," but I guess that's a bit more not-universal, since it means a whole new game, not just a new worldbook.

Like Hero before the BBB was a core system. Champions, Espionage, Fantasy Hero, etc, were separate games.  BBB on, universal. (Though there's a few arguable variations, like hit locations or not; or skills)

Huh. I always think of pre-BBB Hero as a "house system" but core system sounds better. I need to get with the times. :P

On 5/2/2023 at 5:56 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Although I _am_ going do this:

Pih-LAH-deeyum?!

Pih-LAH-deeyum?!

Holy crap!  You speak English incredibly well for it to be a second language.....

Okay....

I got to Kay-OZZ-ee-UMM and just decided he's doing it on purpose....

• 1 month later...

I got a new copy of 4th ed of the BBB because an old friend wants to get back into with his kids and these are rules he’s most familiar with. My original copy is showing its age and its been in a binder for 20years. So when I got my new copy, I thought it was a mistake! I don’t remember the book being so thin compared to later editions!

• 5 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 1:19 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

I got a new copy of 4th ed of the BBB because an old friend wants to get back into with his kids and these are rules he’s most familiar with. My original copy is showing its age and its been in a binder for 20years. So when I got my new copy, I thought it was a mistake! I don’t remember the book being so thin compared to later editions!

Man, I grok that.  I've killed four copies of that book through sheer overuse since it came out.  Pretty much the edition I stopped playing keep-up with and settled into being comfortably behind the times.  What 5th ed stuff I bought was converted backwards or pure reading material.

I'm always happy to go back to some form of Hero, but the amount of demand/opportunity for it has dropped off badly around here in the last ten years.  Most younger players seem to favor less crunchy rules (and yes, I know 6th is streamlined some) and I always get a chuckle when one of them says M&M is too much to handle.  Happily there's been some solid brand-new efforts in the supers genre in that decade that I've had fun with.  Playing Masks with a crowd of my fellow geezers and a couple of slightly baffled 20-somethings with the game set in the 1970 and 80s when us old folks were actual teens, for ex, and Sentinel Comics has had a lot of interest since it dropped.

Still, I'd like to play on a hex map a little more often.  :)

I always appreciated the high degree of compatibility between HERO Fourth and Fifth Editions. It's very easy to use material written for one with the other, which given everything published under them, gives me a vast amount of stuff to draw from for characters, creatures, artifacts, templates, settings, rule variations... the works.

Edited by Lord Liaden

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I always appreciated the high degree of compatibility between HERO Fourth and Fifth Editions. It's very easy to use material written for one with the other, which given everything published under them, gives me a vast amount of stuff to draw from for characters, creatures, artifacts, templates, settings, rule variations... the works.

At GameStorm a few years ago, @lemming ran a Champions game that used 5th and 6th edition character sheets (and possibly 4th as well).  No translation necessary.  Just sit down and play.  We didn't worry about which edition it was!

22 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

At GameStorm a few years ago, @lemming ran a Champions game that used 5th and 6th edition character sheets (and possibly 4th as well).  No translation necessary.  Just sit down and play.  We didn't worry about which edition it was!

The edition differences mostly matter during character generation IME.  Once you're at the table I dare say you could probably mix editions all the way back to 1st edition, although pre-4th might feel pretty wonky at times.

It's a big chunk of why I petered out on updating core books in 4th.  Looked at 5th, saw how backwards compatible it was, decided what i had was good enough for me.  "Eternal" game engines where knowing one edition means you can at least stumble through all the other ones are rare and precious things.  Battletech, Star Fleet Battles and the Palladium house engine are the main other examples I can think of offhand. 

Edited by Rich McGee

I'm glad to say that I reintroduced the battlemap to our players years ago for Champions and they enjoy it. Of course, since then I've had to create 200+ paper minifigs. Having the bad guys place layed-out in front of them makes for a lot more interesting; you get to see just far you can actually move on a half-move, etc.

Edited by Tech

58 minutes ago, Tech said:

Of course, since then I've had to create 200+ paper minifigs.

More of a minis guy these days, but I'm exceedingly thankful that my huge collection of V&V counters have survived all the fires and floods and sudden moves over the years, unlike my Cardboard Heroes stuff.  Monkey House Games has quite a few V&V flats as free downloads, which might come in handy - many of them are numbered mook types, and it looks like Jeff Dee's still doing the art.