NFL 2023

unclevlad

As an entertaining design exercise, somebody at Uni-Watch has undertaken to redesign the uniforms for all the NFL teams—with heavy emphasis on "uniform". Basically, they imagined what the teams would look like if everyone used the same uniform template. The results are interesting, and in many cases much better than what the teams are wearing right now (cough*Broncos*cough). Article links (which include individual images for each team) and composite images below:

Spoiler for lots of pics.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply don't accept that "uniform" guidelines should apply to all teams.  That's pure OCD to me.

And, heck, it still doesn't hold with those images.  Most have color 1 top, color 2 bottom;  then flip to color 2 top, color 1 bottom...but some always have gray bottoms, the Seahawks have blue top/gray pant, then white top, blue bottom.

18 hours ago, Cancer said:

Hm.  I'm not that big a fan of the medial-line triple stripe on helmets; the Seahawks have never had that.

Yeah, the wraparound Seahawk logo that team has had since the 70s wouldn't work with that design. I'm assuming the designer had some truncated version in mind.

And no, NFL uniforms shouldn't be "uniform". there are some looks that just shouldn't be messed with—Packers, Raiders, Bears, Forty-Niners, Cowboys (although I wouldn't mind if they'd settle on one shade of silver). And there are some looks the should definitely be scrapped ASAP. The Broncos' current parentheses stripes come immediately to mind. The Jags' current unis are better than the iteration immediately preceding them, but not as good as what the wore in the 90s. Same with the Bengals.

Name almost the last thing you want to deal with, a week before the Super Bowl.

Having your father busted for DWI would make the list...but.......

Having your father busted for *felony* DWI...3rd offense.  That makes it a 3rd degree felony in Texas.  10 years max, altho I rather suspect that will be deferred.  Gotta figure Patrick will pay for serious alcoholism treatments, and whatever else is necessary.

38 minutes ago, Pariah said:

What took so long????

East Coast bias, somewhat...especially in this era.  Being almost completely in the Raiders' shadow.  Getting crushed in the SB by Dallas.  The Orange Crush defense was really good...but in more of a finesse-style defense.  And '77 is likely considered an aberration...Denver did beat Oakland to make the SB, but...this is the period when it was the Steelers and Raiders and a buncha also-rans.  And it was Denver's only *really* good year;  yeah, ok, they made the playoffs the next 2 years, but lost in the first round.  Very Cowboy-esque.

Still, I'm surprised it hadn't happened.  5 time AP All-Pro 1st or 2nd team.  Do you need anything more?  Apparently so.......

I saw a similar graphic showing that Brock Purdy had better numbers this season than Lamar Jackson.

It's like my uncle the statistics professor is fond of saying: "Torture numbers and they'll confess to anything."

17 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I saw a similar graphic showing that Brock Purdy had better numbers this season than Lamar Jackson.

It's like my uncle the statistics professor is fond of saying: "Torture numbers and they'll confess to anything."

It's not torturing the numbers at all, mostly.  It's taking the numbers out of context.  Aikman's a really tricky case.  Remember how BAD!!!! the Cowboys were in Landry's last 2 years?  3-13, then 1-15 in Aikman's rookie year, where he goes 0-11 as a starter.  Rock bottom.  Jimmy comes in, in '90.  Aikman goes 7-8, then 7-5 in '91...improvements.  Then the 4 year run that got him into the Hall.  Cowboys went 49-15, won 3 SBs.  Aikman was 46-14, 67 TDs, 39 INTs.  He only had 15 passing TDs in '93, the 2nd Super Bowl win.  '96 was a pretty good year, then he (and the team) slipped greatly.  '97 was Switzer's last year, then it was Chan Gailey and Dave Campo.  Aikman played in the era where running backs were still huge:

https://medium.com/top-level-sports/top-10-nfl-running-back-of-the-90s-b650b09beb61

Bettis.  Thurman Thomas.  Terrell Davis for a couple years.  Smith.  SANDERS.  And the Cowboys had, I always thought, the best all-around fullback of that time in Johnston.  

Dalton's career started as the shift from running to passing started...IIRC, it wasn't *as* dominant as it is now, but still, the signs were clear.  In his good years with the Bengals...heck, they were pretty much like the Cowboys.  Regular season...decent.  Post season?  Turned back into pumpkins.  But how much was Dalton's fault?  He was hurt for the 2015 debacle.  

LONG term success is incredibly rare.  Aikman's overall career numbers are not impressive...but his top 4, different story.  Dalton couldn't elevate a mediocre team that much...IIRC, lots of people blame Marvin Lewis for much of that mediocrity.  If Dalton plays through the 2015 year, and the Bengals win a couple playoff games...the whole storyline of his career might be different.  Dalton never stood out.

More to the point, Dalton is being compared to modern QBs and Aikman should be compared to QBs from last century when he was still relevant.  The game has evolved; in Aikman's day those passing stats would have looked like video game numbers.  Back then the RB was arguably the most important player on the field. 

(The "last century" thing isn't even a joke any more, we're 1/4 of the way into the 21st.) 

My brother always likes to talk about Dak's numbers while game is in jeopardy vs blowout times. He says look at the number of times late in half/game when other team is playing prevent defense or out of it and given up.

There was some stat that Tua set the Dolphin record for TDs in a season or something and I was shocked considering Marino, but apparently true.

Edited by slikmar

5 hours ago, slikmar said:

My brother always likes to talk about Dak's numbers while game is in jeopardy vs blowout times. He says look at the number of times late in half/game when other team is playing prevent defense or out of it and given up.

There was some stat that Tua set the Dolphin record for TDs in a season or something and I was shocked considering Marino, but apparently true.

Absolutely, positively NOT passing TDs in a season.  Like, not in the same county.  Marino's 2nd year, the one time he made the SB...48 TDs passing.  Tua had 29.

Completion percentage, perhaps.  Tua's was incredibly high, a touch below 70%.

Dak's not even the best example there, I don't think...the poster boy there was Stafford.  5000 yards in a season, probably with 1500+ in the 4th quarter because the Lions were desperate.  But definitely, Dak's well known to have a very poor track record in crunch time...for multiple years now.  That's why, even if the exact computation is wonky, I prefer QBR to the simple rating...because QBR weighs the significance of a play, and its result.  10 yards on 3rd and 9...great.  10 yards on 3rd and 20...not very meaningful.  10 yards on 3rd and 9, 2 minutes left, down 4 points...BIG.  10 yards on 3rd and 20, 2 minutes left, down 17...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So, sure, you can argue the weighting factors, but they *do* apply to everyone, so it's a fairly good comparative stat...especially with large-scale differences.  Dak's been pretty mediocre most years...albeit NOT this year.  He was tied with Purdy for best QBR this year.  OK, the Giants and Commanders games helped.  (As in 173-37 combined score for those 4 games.)  But...we all know what he did against the Packers.  He Dak'd.  As slik noted, great raw numbers...largely in garbage time, altho ehh, one can argue the Cowboys made em sweat a bit...at 34-16 with time left.  But that didn't last.

And it's to slik's point that Dak had 12 TDs in those 4 games...surprisingly, none in the 40-0 wipeout of the Giants, but 4 in each of the other 3.  So I'll just extend his point to "against soft competition."  The Cowboys scored 35+ 7 times...the 4 noted, the Pats, Rams, and Seahawks.  Well the Rams made the playoffs, tho, right?  By winning 7 of their last 8...after the Cowboy game.  That's another factor...it's been true for a long time that the first few weeks of the season are frequently NOT indicative of the real quality of a team.  That's only grown in the last several years.  Some teams are simply not ready to play at all...Broncos would be the strongest example.