What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Small-town Heroes- Wearing the Cape #4 - Astra gets a message from a Trickster that a disaster will strike in the town of Littleton. But Littleton doesn't officially exist! 

This book puts the narrative back on Astra after using multiple POV's in the last. Lots of world building and plenty of action in a positive and realistic superhero universe.

"We are all completely fine".  The survivors of assorted horror stories form a support group. (If you look close, you can guess which stories the characters were based on.  They guy who survived the Arkansas cannibal family, the Weavers, is out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, frex.) I liked it. Plus, its short, so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Hawk- The latest in the Vlad Taltos series. Vlad is tired of running from his former organization, the Jhereg. While recovering from their latest assassination attempt, he recalls a drunken victory conversation from a previous caper. From it, he hits upon an idea that will be lucrative enough to buy off the Jhereg, Now all he has to do is make the proposal to a group that wants him dead, gather and craft an original sorcery and prevent betrayal of the deal while dodging ongoing attempts on his life. One of the better books since the early days of the series.

• 2 months later...

Hollow City, the sequel to Ms. Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children.  It delivers very well.  Teen lit that is more than a little dark.

ReaMde, by Neal Stephenson.  It's long and drawn out, but he can write whatever the hell he wants to because he's so damn good at it.  Multiple storylines over a few realities and a few continents.  I enjoyed it a great deal.

Doctor Sleep, by Stephen King. Ever wonder what happened to little Danny Torrence?  Read it and find out.  A tale of redemption, family, and sacrifice, both by protagonists and antagonists alike.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dead Riders by Elliott O'Donnell; full review at my blog, but notable for one of the least impressive evil Satanic rituals in fiction.  "And now is the time at Satan Club when we perform interpretative ballet!"  Also some amazingly misleading (lies, honestly) back cover copy.  Our hero does not directly face the most evil sorcerer of all time in mortal combat by traveling to Hell.  He faces a balding guy with no visible supernatural abilities in an English country house, and lifts not a finger to stop the villain.   Instead the villain's wife and mistress both turn on him.

http://www.skjam.com/2015/02/01/book-review-the-dead-riders/

• 1 month later...

Doctor Sleep, by Stephen King. Ever wonder what happened to little Danny Torrence?  Read it and find out.  A tale of redemption, family, and sacrifice, both by protagonists and antagonists alike.

I was really surprised how good that book was. As a child of an alcoholic, and one who actually broke the chain, this really rung true. The shining I read as a kid (9 or 10) and really really identified with Danny. I was very trepidations about this - but it was fantastic. Not quite It or The Stand good, but just half a step down like Rose Madder.

• 1 month later...