What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

Re: What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

And on the reading front "And not to mention the Dog" by Connie Willis. Fun, cheerful, time travel romp with lots of references to classic victorian / early 20th C english literature.

I'd class it as good light entertainment that doesn't make your brain feel like it slept through the book.

cheers, Mark

And on the reading front "And not to mention the Dog" by Connie Willis. Fun, cheerful, time travel romp with lots of references to classic victorian / early 20th C english literature.

I'd class it as good light entertainment that doesn't make your brain feel like it slept through the book.

[nitpick]

To Say Nothing Of The Dog

[/nitpick]

:)

Ayup. I'm now looking for GNs 2 & 3 and will investigate the RPG at GenCon.

As far as I know, Winter 1152 isn't out yet*. I think he's on book 6 of 8 (I'm sure he'll have the individual issues at the con, though).

*I'd love to be wrong, though! :)

No problem, cysphrett!

Answer to your question...I had a terrible time finding the first book, "The Tomb", of the Repairman Jack series. I have not tried to find the others, since I haven't read "The Tomb" yet.

I saw bloodline at the end of the shelf, went back to pick it two weeks later, and it was gone. Asked the clerk but they couldn't find a copy in the store. It's like Barnes and Noble only carries one of his books for a short time and then never again.

CES

[nitpick]

To Say Nothing Of The Dog

[/nitpick]

:)

Heh. I read it in Danish, so merely translated the title back into English without thinking about it. Now that you mention it, of course, I should have realised the actual title, given the influence of the Jerome K. Jerome book :doi:

cheers, Mark

Heh. I read it in Danish' date=' so merely translated the title back into English without thinking about it. Now that you mention it, of course, I should have realised the actual title, given the influence of the Jerome K. Jerome book :doi:[/quote']

It's a fun little book. And I have to pimp it 'cause Connie is my neighbor. ;)

Haven't finished anything yet, but I am currently in the middle of both Tarnsman of Gor by John Norman and The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Del Rey books anthology 1/3).

I brought my Conan anthology to a family BBQ back on 07/04, and my aunt, who is recently divorced, said that she could get me my uncle's old Conan anthologies from the early 80's; pretty cool stuff.

Can't wait for day two! :D

From what I have heard, the second book was ready to come out some time ago, but for some reason the publishers are holding off for like a year and a half! :mad::idjit:

Recently finished A New World by Michael Stackpole. Excellent read. Was one of those JUST ONE MORE PAGE finishes that kept me up past 3 am.

The Spriggan's Mirror by Lawrence Watt-Evans. This one of a handful of writers whose books I buy sight unseen as I know it will be good.

Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher. It starts slowly but ramps up real fast at the middle. My favourite characters are Bernard and Amara. They make such a nice couple. Nasty, but sweet.

The Host by Stephanie Myers. I give it 5 out of 10 mainly because I'd never thought about the idea of a "Body Snatcher" alien (Puppet Masters style) being semi-possessed by the human it's riding in. Past that, it's a soap-opera that uses the personal angst of a small cast to wrench out the "life on the lamb" style drama while eschewing some of the larger questions I had about this world dominated by alien invaders. I'd have rated it higher if it had indulged my mean streak and really gone for a much darker ending that questions whether humans can co-exist with an alien species whose way of life is inherently immoral.

And no one cussed! Goddamnit, Stephanie! People running for their life cuss from time to time. Lack of Carlin-worthy expletives in the dialogue distracted me, I'm sorry to say. (Although, Ms. Myers does write mainly teen-level fiction I understand. What's this Twilight book of hers anyway? :P)

Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days by Alaster Reynolds. A pair of short stories, was... curious. I have Chasm City waiting once I finish, Soon I Will Be Invincible.

Recently finished A New World by Michael Stackpole. Excellent read. Was one of those JUST ONE MORE PAGE finishes that kept me up past 3 am.

The Spriggan's Mirror by Lawrence Watt-Evans. This one of a handful of writers whose books I buy sight unseen as I know it will be good.

Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher. It starts slowly but ramps up real fast at the middle. My favourite characters are Bernard and Amara. They make such a nice couple. Nasty, but sweet.

At this point I pretty much will buy all three authors' books without checking. Stackpole's 'Draconis' series and "Once a Hero" are some of my favorites.

Gemmell is (was) another, and Mike Resnick is yet another. Love Resnick's sci-fi. Love it.:thumbup:

From what I have heard' date=' the second book was ready to come out some time ago, but for some reason the publishers are holding off for like a year and a half! :mad::idjit:[/quote']

Family health problems, as I understand. Not the publishing company's fault, nor the author's.

The Host by Stephanie Myers. I give it 5 out of 10 mainly because I'd never thought about the idea of a "Body Snatcher" alien (Puppet Masters style) being semi-possessed by the human it's riding in. Past that, it's a soap-opera that uses the personal angst of a small cast to wrench out the "life on the lamb" style drama while eschewing some of the larger questions I had about this world dominated by alien invaders. I'd have rated it higher if it had indulged my mean streak and really gone for a much darker ending that questions whether humans can co-exist with an alien species whose way of life is inherently immoral.

And no one cussed! Goddamnit, Stephanie! People running for their life cuss from time to time. Lack of Carlin-worthy expletives in the dialogue distracted me, I'm sorry to say. (Although, Ms. Myers does write mainly teen-level fiction I understand. What's this Twilight book of hers anyway? :P)

As I understand it, she's Mormon, and therefore can't even write swear words.

By the way, should you consider reading her teen fiction, I recommend you don't. If you do, though, please liveblog it so we can all get a good laugh out of it.

Family health problems, as I understand. Not the publishing company's fault, nor the author's.

As I understand it, she's Mormon, and therefore can't even write swear words.

By the way, should you consider reading her teen fiction, I recommend you don't. If you do, though, please liveblog it so we can all get a good laugh out of it.

THrough her work, my wife had heard that it was the Publisher that held it back. I will correct her, as she can pass the info on to a bunch of anxious customers.

THrough her work' date=' my wife had heard that it was the Publisher that held it back. I will correct her, as she can pass the info on to a bunch of anxious customers.[/quote']

My information comes from the guy who runs the Speculative Fiction book club at our local bookstore. They consider it part of their jobs to be well-informed at that bookstore, and pride themselves on their connections. He's also where I got the free copy of Little Brother.