What homages would you LIKE to see in the 5th Ed CU?

Hermit

Originally posted by Bengal

I'll vote for Power Pack right after I vote for Black Lightnin and Brother Power the Geek.

You know what they probably will put in, but shouldn't? The New Warriors (aren't they all new warriors?).

I keep thinking "NOVA" or whatever it's called in CU might fill that niche, but I loved the New Warriors first run, so maybe I'm projecting ;)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Blue

The Eternals or Inhumans. I want some space oriented folks. Of course this is sort of the focus of Galactic Champions (I believe), so I'm getting my wish at least to some degree.

The Empyreans /are/ the Eternals of the CU, aren't they?

And they have a funky cloaked mountain valley hideaway like the Inhumans did...

The first twenty or so issues of New Warriors was pretty cool. Dealt with some new organizations, new villains, new heroes in a couple cases. And the team grew both individually as people, and power-wise. I can't help but feeling after about 50 issues that it was ret-conned to be a book for characters who were trying out for the Avengers.

Originally posted by Chuckg

God almighty, Freedom City is outstanding.

Officially licensed HERO conversion, /please/.

(The M&M rules engine... it's weird. I can crunch Hero System in my head. I munch most D20 games like popcorn. GURPS is as much a native language to me as English. Tri-Stat, I can do in my sleep. Even /Palladium/ made sense... mostly. The only rules engine that has ever kicked my butt is Chart... I mean, Rolemaster.

/And/ Mutants & Masterminds. It's supposed to be so simple, and yet I just can't get it at all. I have no idea why, but I just can't.

But I'd really, really love to spend some time in that world... and it so loudly begs for an official Champions conversion...)

In lieu of an "official" conversion, I really, really think you ought to check out this website :) :

http://members.aol.com/talonstudio/freedomcity/fchero.html

In 4e, yes.

In 5e, he seems to be more filling the role of "The God that Satan prays to." -- i.e., classic Kirby Pre-Crisis Darkseid.

Mm, I haven't seen much beyond CU that even mentions him so I still think of his 4e write up I guess.

Oh, and after all the threads on them, I think an Authority Homage would be interesting... but I think in the Silver/Bronze CU they'd pretty clearly be villains.

Originally posted by Hermit

Mm, I haven't seen much beyond CU that even mentions him so I still think of his 4e write up I guess.

Well, I will admit that I'm extrapolating.

Still, the CU mentions on him make him much more impressive than his 4e version -- we already know that he's not an ascended mortal sorceror, he's a full-on I-got-your-burning-bush-right-*here* deity and has been since the dawn of time. That plus the fact that WTF Tyrannon is, it will have to be mystically powerful enough to make even Takofanes look small in order to maintain Tyrannon's status as #1 magical uber-badass of the entire Champions-related multiverse...

... heck, that's a working approximation of Darkseid all by itself.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

The original New Warriors was one of my favorite comic series of all times, particularly the first 25 issues.

Following up on this, its the RL comics run that seems the most like a Champions campaign to me. Always made me wonder if Fabian Nicieza wasnt secretly a Champions gamer......

And the CU already has an Atlantis, complete with royalty... although if you wanted your own Aquaman homage, by all means, give Queen Mara a long-lost son and then some old age...

Prince Marus is already a good copy of Namor, from what I have guessed so far, so I do not think we need both a Namor and an Arthur. It might be interesting to see a bastard son who is an Aquaman clone trying to retake Atlantis though.

I think that brings up an interesting point as well. I use several homages within my game, but I have tweaked them form comic books. For example, I have a female villain group called The Sisterhood whose members are Crow, Amazon, Landslide, Starlight, and Ward. These are all renamed female members of the Teen Titans. So it might be interesting to see some homages where a comic hero is a villain or a comic villain is a hero in the CU.

Originally posted by Monolith

Prince Marus is already a good copy of Namor, from what I have guessed so far, so I do not think we need both a Namor and an Arthur. It might be interesting to see a bastard son who is an Aquaman clone trying to retake Atlantis though.

Or you could just deep-six the Namor clone to make room...

(pun intended) :)

That plus the fact that WTF Tyrannon is, it will have to be mystically powerful enough to make even Takofanes look small in order to maintain Tyrannon's status as #1 magical uber-badass of the entire Champions-related multiverse...

... heck, that's a working approximation of Darkseid all by itself.

I thought Tyrannon was a Trigon homage. The names are certainly similar.

IMO Darkseid isn't out-and-out magical, not in the same way Dr. Strange or Dread Dormammu are anyway.