Superhero Images

schir1964

Before I make a 3D model, I try to make a sketch of it first so I have

something to work from.

I'm including the sketch that I did before making the model of Kronos. (scanned and colorized, of course)

And here is a link back to the 3D scene (for comparison).

Kronos VS Combat Droid 3D (this scene was originally posted a ways back)

I don't think I did that great job of making the 3D model look like the drawing. Some of it was intentional (like choosing to make the hair of the model black instead of brown), but much of it was accidental. I'm still new at this stuff, so hopefully I'll do better next time.

I am aware of a number of things I could have done to have made the model look more like the sketch. But any suggestions that the rest of you may have would be welcome too.

Anyway, here is the sketch. . . .

I gave up 3d modeling. I have NEVER had luck with mapping the costume to the object. I just don't get it.

Poser ships with some templates. I got through and try to simulate what they've done with other textures and when I go and apply the texture the costume invariably winds up not matching the figure correctly.

I tried a few programs (free utilities) that are supposed to help you with this sort of thing but soon decided I should just stick with paper & pen.

Originally posted by Blue

I gave up 3d modeling. I have NEVER had luck with mapping the costume to the object. I just don't get it.

Poser ships with some templates. I got through and try to simulate what they've done with other textures and when I go and apply the texture the costume invariably winds up not matching the figure correctly.

I tried a few programs (free utilities) that are supposed to help you with this sort of thing but soon decided I should just stick with paper & pen.

Perhaps you just didn't find the right software. I really like what I'm using.

IMO Poser (and the like) may do too much for you. You get a better feel for what is going on in virtual space by building stuff from the ground up. (Poser is a very good program--but there are other options out there)

thats too bad ...

i started without even a manual for poser and bryce i bought them second hand on e-bay from the USSR for about 40 bucks i use UV Mapper {free BTW ) and paint shop pro also i know what you mean about the map no always working it take a lot of work and tim i did line art for 20 years before starting this

you have to make sure you are useing the correct template for the right model and that you are appling it to the right area see pix otherwise you get a royal mess most of the time i use a existing texture and modifie the heck out of it also renderosity carrys seam guides that help with the texture mapping

i would keep at it if i was you if you guys want i will post more Very simple instructions on how to use poser so that anyone who may have the program can use it if you want faster instruction then go to http://www.renderosity.com and check out the tutorails section they are a bit arcane so that why im offering to break it down to VERY easy to understand levels

ok these are not very good quality due to forum restirctions but if you want ill send a larger and more clear ver. to you via e-mail

my contact is blazer8@ix.netcom.com

This is a pic I did of my one of my current Champions characters. The campaign is a low level supers campaign w/o the spandex. It's alot of fun and relies more on character development and roleplaying than just villian of the week fisticuffs. Very cool. The GM is the greatist. The character's name is Paul lindley and he woke up on the floor of a funeral home during his own funeral with some cool powers and no memory of what happened.

http://www.bucketoflizards.com/gallery/images/erikroman/private-commissions/requiem-promo-pinup.jpg

This is his kid sister who arranged his murder -- and it was perfect but she didn't count on supernatural forces interfereing and bringing him back to life. She is an NPC and goes by Stiletto.

http://www.bucketoflizards.com/gallery/images/erikroman/private-commissions/stiletto.jpg

I hope you enjoy a look at my characters.

BTW - a freind of mine and I are making this into an HEAVILY illustrated prose book called Requiem. We are currently shopping for a publisher and when we find one and get things set, I'll announce it here.

For a sneak peek:

http://www.bucketoflizards.com/projects/requiem/index.asp

Enjoy!

~Erik

Originally posted by Paper Spirit

BTW - a freind of mine and I are making this into an HEAVILY illustrated prose book called Requiem. We are currently shopping for a publisher and when we find one and get things set, I'll announce it here.

~Erik

Great pics!! I may know a publisher that would be willing to help you. I'll let him see the website and ask him what he thinks. If he says it is a go, or can offer other info, I'll get back to you.

Don't hold your breathe though, publishing is a tough business sometimes, and if you haven't been previously published it doesn't pay very well either.

Originally posted by EternityShard

Well, this is highly pirated, but since Mr. Vimes asked me to post it... this original came from comicworldnews.com, from an issue of crossgen's Negation comic. Photoshopped into my character Corona...

Well, Photopaint-ed into Corona. I don't like Photoshop.

Wow! That is a great picture!

poser does have a pretty steep learning curve, but you can also get really good results--it's mostly a matter of what figures, and props you have to work with--which means you need a good free source fo poser materials--i suggest:

http://www.renderosity.com

or

http://www.animotions.com

as they have lots of freebies and tutorials and such....

i especially reccommend animotions for champs characters, as they offer poser versions of most established super-folk for free download--if you've got a desent paint program you should be able to customize an existing hero, or mix and match....

Originally posted by Durnin

Great pics!! I may know a publisher that would be willing to help you. I'll let him see the website and ask him what he thinks. If he says it is a go, or can offer other info, I'll get back to you.

Don't hold your breathe though, publishing is a tough business sometimes, and if you haven't been previously published it doesn't pay very well either.

Hey,

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, Publishing is a hard row to hoe, We've been trying to get a publisher for a while but I thing we've finally decided to fork out the cash and do it ourselves. I'm sure we can (at least once!):)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Back

Hey gang it's me Wildcat.

It's been a while since I've been the the boards, and since I've done anything artistic, but now I'm back, and have a new pic to share.

this character in my campaign is no longer an active PC, but I got a whild hair to draw him, the Player almost wanted to play him again he was so impressed with the picture, but he stuck with his primary character.

Sentinel II is a very Ironman like character, but then again who isn't in a suit of powered armor.

Sentinel II

Originally posted by Wildcat

Hey me again... fogot to mention that I drew this by hand, and colored him in Photoshop. With a background I found online, made from Bryce I assume.

This pic is superb! Drawn by hand? Super!