Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

We had one person throw a handful of the AGM (the little crystal in the diaper core) into a toilet once. Luckily he didn't flush it. (It was empty before he did this)

He got fired and they had to tear out the toilet to get all the gel. That would have f'ed up the plumbing something feirce.

FYI: AGM can absorb 20+ times it's own volume of water.

And if it had gotten into the river, the EPA would have had P&G's *** for breakfast.

Wow! I could imagine... is that stuff toxic? I would think that would make an excellent flood barrier if you had enough of it.

Wow! I could imagine... is that stuff toxic? I would think that would make an excellent flood barrier if you had enough of it.

It isn't toxic, but it is very enviro-unfreindly in it's dry state and loose. Actually a form of AGM is used in those spill snakes. Just not quite as bosrbent.

Wow' date=' did you realize your job is very interesting to us lay-people?[/quote']

No.

To make it clear, I have nothing to do with the development. After P&G decdes what they want to test and have the line technicalities worked out. They send it to our plant. And we do the testing off the line as it runs, to see if it will actually work in general production.

And Manpower is treated as second class citizens at the plant.

No.

To make it clear, I have nothing to do with the development. After P&G decdes what they want to test and have the line technicalities worked out. They send it to our plant. And we do the testing off the line as it runs, to see if it will actually work in general production.

And Manpower is treated as second class citizens at the plant.

Yeah, but that's not the point, the point is you know this stuff so you have interesting things to say about your job. I realize technically it isn't "your" job but from a conversational standpoint it's much the same, it's about the intricacies related to your line of work in general, even if you're "just" a tester.

Yeah' date=' but that's not the point, the point is you know this stuff so you have interesting things to say about your job. I realize technically it isn't "your" job but from a conversational standpoint it's much the same, it's about the intricacies related to your line of work in general, even if you're "just" a tester.[/quote']

At local fairs P&G sets up baby changing stations for families with young chidren. When I've gone past it, I automatically do visual checks on them. I can get a person free diapers if I look thru a bag.

Yeah' date=' but that's not the point, the point is you know this stuff so you have interesting things to say about your job. I realize technically it isn't "your" job but from a conversational standpoint it's much the same, it's about the intricacies related to your line of work in general, even if you're "just" a tester.[/quote']Well, I'm also a tester (of software) and trust me, there is nothing interesting about my job to an outsider, no matter what the software is that I'm testing.

Even if it's software for the THERAC-25?
Nope. Ariane-5 would have been no more interesting. Software testing is an identical task regardless of what software is being examined. I have tested systems called PRACSYS (worker's compensation), CSIS (water billing), Grange (ditto), Pathway (Local Government), CIS/OV and a couple of others (electricity billing), Vector (purchase pricing for grain), Vector Pooling (periodic payments to growers for purchased grain), AusStock and OMS (grain receival), and ARAMIS (asset management).

In each case the approach is the same, regardless of the software - analyse the business rules to be applied, devise a set of inputs and expected outputs that cover these business rules, enter said input, compare actual output with expected output. Raise defect if they don't match, otherwise next set of inputs. Rinse, repeat, ad infinitum ad nauseum.

I remember helping one of our software testers by creating a little tool that generated random inputs (and recorded them, and made sure not to duplicate what had been done before) according to the limited business rules we had. The thing being tested was an extension for Outlook. We had found out (after getting some responses from users) that some users were definitely working from different pages of The Kama Sutra of Outlook than I was used to, so much so that we decided hooking the workflow test cares to an RNG was as effective as anything.

(We were trying to track down and eliminate a bug that we could recognize when it happened but couldn't generate ourselves, had been documented to happen 13 times in about 200,000 cases over a few days. Never did track it down, though we were able to reduce its incidence by a factor of 10 to 20.)

Yeah' date=' but do you have any idea what diapers [i']cost?![/i] Jesus.

Sure do. Had two rug rats 14 months apart. Plus I was still trying to find a career at that time in my life and had to work two jobs. One to pay bills and the other to buy baby supplies. ;)

Yeah... well, the Old Lady is going to quit her job soon; she was on a part-time return-to-work program, but they're not going to offer her an eternal part-time position. Money will quickly become very tight. But having staggered schedules, me working an eight-hour day then her working a five-hour day, alternating watching the boy, really sucked. It will be nice for at least one of us to have some free time. As for the money, hopefully I'll win the lottery soon.

I'm on 86. I'm hoping to get that big boost soon. ;) I think I may have a tidal pattern to my rep. :lol:

Well, the human body IS made up of a lot of water, an awful lot of it salinated.

As for me, there are people I try to rep as often as I can, so I'll randomly spring rep on some of them whenever I don't get the "You must spread some Reputation around . . ." message.

Lemming is on 95, Bonedaddy on 91. They should be the next ascendees.

There are a few then in the 80s including Bazza.

At this rate I may be the 40th or 50th ascendee the rate I am going.

Ahem, I'm in the nervous 90s! :D:sneaky::king:

respect your rep-elders tribble-boy!!!