The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

It's bad enough I have to get operated on' date=' but I have to wake up at 3 in the morning to get operated on. Are they going out of their way to make this as unpleasant as possible?![/quote']

Look man, how do you expect the doctors to make their tee time if they don't even start on you till 11 A.M.?

Look man' date=' how do you expect the doctors to make their tee time if they don't even start on you till 11 A.M.?[/quote']

True; from the build of my surgeon, though, he looks more like he'd go out and play tackle football after a case. The dude was huge and solid.

So, after not being able to sleep all night (between not being tired and being, well scared), I get out of bed at 3, get ready, poke onto BvS to warn my two villages with characters in 'em that may not be able to play depending how stoned I am on painkillers.

Drive 90 miles, in the dark and driving rain. Every little thing has me jumping, so even a quick burst of hydroplaning makes me all but scream like a little girl.

We get there on time 5:45. Do paperwork. Wait about an hour before name called ... surprisingly, like eight people were there BEFORE us. I go to get blood drawn for labs ... and the first person can't get my veins to pop up. Second person can't do it either. Eventually, the surgeon has to do it.

While being asked whether or not I'm diabetic, or allergic to medicines YET again, I start trembling. The nurse asks if that's normal for me (guess suspecting nerve damage or somesuch). I respond that it's normal for me when I'm terrified. She asks me why I'm scared, I mention that it's only my second anaesthetization (sp?), first invasive surgery, and it means dialysis is soon. She says there's nothing to be afraid of ... then two minutes later, asks me if I have a will. THIS MEANS THERE'S SOMETHING TO BE AFRAID OF.

Then I find out that they're intending to just numb the arm and sedate me, so I'm not fully unconscious during the procedure. This Was Not What I Was Told Would Happen. Fortunately, my abject terror changes their mind.

I'm steadfastly looking AWAY from my right arm as they set up catheters and stuff. The orderly is telling me to calm down, breathe deeply, in through the nose, out through the mouth. I try, but fail, because I am terrified of needles and am getting poked in the arm.

They get me to the OR, I go unconscious. When I wake up, I don't know what happened, but I just started freaking out. I was screaming, thrashing, I couldn't form a thought ... I thought I was terrified before, but I was pretty much hysterical. Four people were holding me down.

BAD DAY.

True; from the build of my surgeon, though, he looks more like he'd go out and play tackle football after a case. The dude was huge and solid.

So, after not being able to sleep all night (between not being tired and being, well scared), I get out of bed at 3, get ready, poke onto BvS to warn my two villages with characters in 'em that may not be able to play depending how stoned I am on painkillers.

Drive 90 miles, in the dark and driving rain. Every little thing has me jumping, so even a quick burst of hydroplaning makes me all but scream like a little girl.

We get there on time 5:45. Do paperwork. Wait about an hour before name called ... surprisingly, like eight people were there BEFORE us. I go to get blood drawn for labs ... and the first person can't get my veins to pop up. Second person can't do it either. Eventually, the surgeon has to do it.

While being asked whether or not I'm diabetic, or allergic to medicines YET again, I start trembling. The nurse asks if that's normal for me (guess suspecting nerve damage or somesuch). I respond that it's normal for me when I'm terrified. She asks me why I'm scared, I mention that it's only my second anaesthetization (sp?), first invasive surgery, and it means dialysis is soon. She says there's nothing to be afraid of ... then two minutes later, asks me if I have a will. THIS MEANS THERE'S SOMETHING TO BE AFRAID OF.

Then I find out that they're intending to just numb the arm and sedate me, so I'm not fully unconscious during the procedure. This Was Not What I Was Told Would Happen. Fortunately, my abject terror changes their mind.

I'm steadfastly looking AWAY from my right arm as they set up catheters and stuff. The orderly is telling me to calm down, breathe deeply, in through the nose, out through the mouth. I try, but fail, because I am terrified of needles and am getting poked in the arm.

They get me to the OR, I go unconscious. When I wake up, I don't know what happened, but I just started freaking out. I was screaming, thrashing, I couldn't form a thought ... I thought I was terrified before, but I was pretty much hysterical. Four people were holding me down.

BAD DAY.

Sorry to hear that, CC. I hope you recover quickly.

I'm supposed to be getting ready for work. But I couldn't sleep last night once I went to bed. So I had to call in due to fatigue.

I figured it was going ot happen. All day I was fighting sleep, so of course once it was time to sleep I was unable to.

BAD DAY.

. . . It certainly sounds like it. My sympathies, CC. :(

Had to hold my three year old down for a blood draw this morning. His veins are small. Ten extremely long minutes while he struggled and pleaded to be let go.

Yuck. That sort of thing is godawful. My son scratched his cornea last year, and had to take him to the doctor. They put in those glow-in-the-dark eye drops, shine a UV light, lets them see the scratch, all that. I'm holding him with all my strength as he's screaming "NO, DADDY, NO!!!!!!!"

Definitely a "I am so having a drink when I get home" moment.

Then I had to come into the office, and I still have to kind of hold back the tears when I think about it. And you know, the kid's not even sick, but we need to find out what his allergies are before we find out the hard way. I don't need a replay of the peanut butter sandwich incident.

Had to hold my three year old down for a blood draw this morning. His veins are small. Ten extremely long minutes while he struggled and pleaded to be let go.

I'm reminded of an incident about ten years back ...

I was sitting in the dean's monthly department heads meeting when the secretary came in, looked around, and walked around to me and handed me a note. My son ... age 3 at the time IIRC ... was at the ER after having split his scalp open jumping (and doing deadfalls) on our bed. I didn't have to help hold him down while the doc stitched him up (the mummy board did a good job of that) but I did need to be there.

Hell of a way to get out in the middle of a meeting. I don't recommend it.

I got several good knocks on the head as a Tot. The first time I used a magnifying mirror, I discovered a small scar across one eyebrow only visible with the MM. I also hit the back of my head once. It had to be stapled closed. My Dad insisted on an X-Ray when the staples came out, but no damage.

The scar on the back of my head (I have no idea how visible it is; it's hidden under layers and layers of thick, curly hair) wasn't even anything so interesting as an accident. My mother sent me back to school when I didn't feel well. I passed out. I hit the radiator. All I remember of that day was wondering why everyone was freaking out, and why my head felt wet.

But I have a much better reason to be cranky right now. My b@%*& of a boss fired me over a technicality. One that didn't even MATTER. I got the idea right from the start that she just didn't like me, and couldn't figure out why. So I watched my back where she was concerned, did things as I understood them, got clarification when I suspected I was being trapped in a corner. Then she comes up with this neat plan where me and two co-workers get to rotate days when we go home early, without losing hours. And, the first time I take advantage of it, she fires me for it.

I don't use the b-word lightly, but, in this case, it applies. May she reap what she sows. *spit*

The scar on the back of my head (I have no idea how visible it is; it's hidden under layers and layers of thick, curly hair) wasn't even anything so interesting as an accident. My mother sent me back to school when I didn't feel well. I passed out. I hit the radiator. All I remember of that day was wondering why everyone was freaking out, and why my head felt wet.

But I have a much better reason to be cranky right now. My b@%*& of a boss fired me over a technicality. One that didn't even MATTER. I got the idea right from the start that she just didn't like me, and couldn't figure out why. So I watched my back where she was concerned, did things as I understood them, got clarification when I suspected I was being trapped in a corner. Then she comes up with this neat plan where me and two co-workers get to rotate days when we go home early, without losing hours. And, the first time I take advantage of it, she fires me for it.

I don't use the b-word lightly, but, in this case, it applies. May she reap what she sows. *spit*

Been there, been done by it. Crap. Is there anyway you can point this out to others at the company? Any documentation, etc... that this was her plan?

This is why I have archives of all my emails and other stuff from work. And print outs of the damaging stuff. Hasn't helped me much, but I did take down some of the people responsible.