The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Been there, been done by it. Crap. Is there anyway you can point this out to others at the company? Any documentation, etc... that this was her plan?

This is why I have archives of all my emails and other stuff from work. And print outs of the damaging stuff. Hasn't helped me much, but I did take down some of the people responsible.

I do have documentation, and brought it to the attention of my higher-ups when I was initially upset with how she clearly didn't like me. Apparently, they had no argument with the idea of terminating me over this. I can send them a letter and a copy of my documentation, but I don't know what good it would do. For all I know, she was just doing their bidding in catching me at something. Not that I think they'd be that awful, but people have been known to surprise me.

True; from the build of my surgeon, though, he looks more like he'd go out and play tackle football after a case. The dude was huge and solid.

So, after not being able to sleep all night (between not being tired and being, well scared), I get out of bed at 3, get ready, poke onto BvS to warn my two villages with characters in 'em that may not be able to play depending how stoned I am on painkillers.

Drive 90 miles, in the dark and driving rain. Every little thing has me jumping, so even a quick burst of hydroplaning makes me all but scream like a little girl.

We get there on time 5:45. Do paperwork. Wait about an hour before name called ... surprisingly, like eight people were there BEFORE us. I go to get blood drawn for labs ... and the first person can't get my veins to pop up. Second person can't do it either. Eventually, the surgeon has to do it.

While being asked whether or not I'm diabetic, or allergic to medicines YET again, I start trembling. The nurse asks if that's normal for me (guess suspecting nerve damage or somesuch). I respond that it's normal for me when I'm terrified. She asks me why I'm scared, I mention that it's only my second anaesthetization (sp?), first invasive surgery, and it means dialysis is soon. She says there's nothing to be afraid of ... then two minutes later, asks me if I have a will. THIS MEANS THERE'S SOMETHING TO BE AFRAID OF.

Then I find out that they're intending to just numb the arm and sedate me, so I'm not fully unconscious during the procedure. This Was Not What I Was Told Would Happen. Fortunately, my abject terror changes their mind.

I'm steadfastly looking AWAY from my right arm as they set up catheters and stuff. The orderly is telling me to calm down, breathe deeply, in through the nose, out through the mouth. I try, but fail, because I am terrified of needles and am getting poked in the arm.

They get me to the OR, I go unconscious. When I wake up, I don't know what happened, but I just started freaking out. I was screaming, thrashing, I couldn't form a thought ... I thought I was terrified before, but I was pretty much hysterical. Four people were holding me down.

BAD DAY.

Sorry to hear that, Man. My sympathies.

I'm reminded of an incident about ten years back ...

I was sitting in the dean's monthly department heads meeting when the secretary came in, looked around, and walked around to me and handed me a note. My son ... age 3 at the time IIRC ... was at the ER after having split his scalp open jumping (and doing deadfalls) on our bed. I didn't have to help hold him down while the doc stitched him up (the mummy board did a good job of that) but I did need to be there.

Hell of a way to get out in the middle of a meeting. I don't recommend it.

Well they could have put him in a papoose like the navy doctors did me when I got stitches in my lip.

My mom? Unpleased.

The scar on the back of my head (I have no idea how visible it is; it's hidden under layers and layers of thick, curly hair) wasn't even anything so interesting as an accident. My mother sent me back to school when I didn't feel well. I passed out. I hit the radiator. All I remember of that day was wondering why everyone was freaking out, and why my head felt wet.

But I have a much better reason to be cranky right now. My b@%*& of a boss fired me over a technicality. One that didn't even MATTER. I got the idea right from the start that she just didn't like me, and couldn't figure out why. So I watched my back where she was concerned, did things as I understood them, got clarification when I suspected I was being trapped in a corner. Then she comes up with this neat plan where me and two co-workers get to rotate days when we go home early, without losing hours. And, the first time I take advantage of it, she fires me for it.

I don't use the b-word lightly, but, in this case, it applies. May she reap what she sows. *spit*

Sorry to hear that Alice. Hope the job search goes better for you than it has for me ;)

Oh and while were on the topic of bosses and crankiness;

Turns out my boss of three days IS the one who wanted me gone. And she wanted them to fight my unemployment. And I've been told that even though WaMu does not give references of any kind (positive or negative) my former boss who's still with the company as suggested she might say bad things about me if a prospective employer contacts her.

So I have to look out for that.

And she's driving away most of the people who worked there when I was there, cleaning house so she can have her own staff.

Not that that isn't expected.

I do have documentation' date=' and brought it to the attention of my higher-ups when I was initially upset with how she clearly didn't like me. Apparently, they had no argument with the idea of terminating me over this. I can send them a letter and a copy of my documentation, but I don't know what good it would do. For all I know, she was just doing their bidding in catching me at something. Not that I think they'd be that awful, but people have been known to surprise me.[/quote']

Well, there is that. Send a letter to the higher-ups.

I got setup and fired at one job. I sent in some info, never heard back, but the manager did get fired two weeks after I did. And since I had a new job by then, I was good with that.

Putting anything in your resume' that sounds negative toward the last company almost always looks bad. And most companies are afraid of giving people negative references since it opens up some legal stuff.

"Control freak" seems to fit the MO of my former boss' date=' too. She actually had a point in a meeting where she showed us how to properly staple documents together before they're filed. I'm not joking.[/quote']

That's bad. Control freak isn't necessarily bad, but it is if you think you're the only one who know what they're doing.

My whole department of eight is composed of control freaks, but we all recognize the fact and know how to put to good use.

That's bad. Control freak isn't necessarily bad, but it is if you think you're the only one who know what they're doing.

My whole department of eight is composed of control freaks, but we all recognize the fact and know how to put to good use.

I'm not sure she's convinced she's the only one who knows what she's doing. There are several programs in use in the office that she doesn't know how to use (not really), so she can't exactly say, "This should be done this way, precisely," because the program might not understand it.

But she was giving indications that she thought she knew how one of the programs worked, then got really irritated at me when I told her the details of what I'd done to accomplish a task, and accused me of not doing it. So . . . yeah.

The company's on a nosedive, anyway, so I was probably lucky to get out while I could.

Are the kids having fun?

They were up to about 6-0 tonight, at which point they seemed to start getting down. To be fair, the other team was really good and really organized; tonight was a 6:00 game, and open house at all the elementary schools was at 5:30. So I get there at 5:59, hurrying, and . . . my son is the only one of the 11 kids on the team there. We eventually combined ourselves with a girls' kindergarten team who didn't have an opponent to have enough bodies to play a game, but when I got there and my son was the only one there? The opposing team already had 9 kids there . . . how the heck did they get that many people to show? I got 7 total eventually. These other kids (who, not coincidentally, were wearing black) looked like they'd been playing for years. A good third of my team has never played before.

And yes, I know that's a reason they aren't very good, it just gets hard to try to encourage them as the other team basically scores at will. They want to have fun and they try hard, but they're getting stomped.

Ever have one of those weeks where you wonder if you'll get through it without punching someone in the face?

There have been times I wondered more whether I would manage to not rip someones throat out, possibly with my teeth.

I am much better now! ;)