The cranky thread

Hermit

I have now had two days training at the new job.  Seems like it should work out.  

But my Wife's workplace has been *BEEP*ING with her for so long that she is fed up.  Despite the good review and raise she got a week and a half ago, she thinks her boss is planning to get rid of her.  

So she has started looking for a new job.  

She is fed up.  They keep cutting hours, but expecting her to keep up the same standards of stocking, cleaning, alphabetizing, ordering, AND still providing customer service.   

Her reliable experienced staff all left.   Her new staff, well, they won't give her enough hours to properly complete their training.   When they decline to do the tasks she has assigned them, her boss has told her that she CANNOT discipline them in any way.  

He is a very experienced manager (from other kinds of retail)  BUT,  Everything is an emergency.  On top of that, he is a rollercoaster manager, , Treats her like she is incompetent one day, then praises her then next.  

I can't blame her, but this ramps the stress level right back up again.  

Then apparently my son and I got into a flu-bug or something last weekend.  I have not felt well, but he popped a 101 fever yesterday (record heat did not help) and then today he spiked up to around 104!   It came down with medication and a shower, but...    

AARRRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today, the wife and I had a day out. We went down to our dentist for a teeth cleaning, then to get a haircut, and finally to get some stuff from our storage unit. This is all down in the last two towns we lived in, about an hour away. Should have been nice to get out of the house and beat the heat, but . . .

While we were waiting to get our hair cut, someone came in the back door of the place, rummaged through the rooms in the back, and snatched our hair dresser's keys. They stole a purse out of the back seat of her car that had some credit cards and jewelry in it, and ran off.

The worse part is, we barely noticed. The wife saw the guy come and go out of the corner of her eye, but didn't know that he wasn't supposed to be there. I was reading a magazine and didn't look up, assuming it was the hairdresser or her kid in the back. Fortunately, the other girl who was in the waiting area got a look at him. Chances are slim that'll do any good, but it's something.

I'm super annoyed with myself for not looking up at the little bastard and getting a good description at least. I'm super annoyed that the very sweet lady who does our hair had to go through this crap.

We helped her call it in to 911 and get in touch with a couple of her credit card companies, including her bank for her business account's debit card. Hopefully, that one was canceled before the bastard got a chance to use it, and we did some good.

I'm glad we've moved out of that area. (And it was a step up from our prior apartment that had a shoot out among Russian wannabe gangsters in our parking lot. Hmm, come to think of it maybe they were full-fledged.)

Have I mentioned I hate high population density areas?

Have I mentioned I hate high population density areas?

I dream of one day owning a small home on enough land that I can't hear my neighbors--even the ones with the subwoofer in the truck. It'll be like Walden. Or the Unabomber cabin. Take your pick.

Sorry your day out was ruined. Of course you didn't get a good look at the thief--as one of the good guys, why would you think to do so? You stuck around to help, which is more than many humans would bother to do. Hope they catch the guy.

Of course you didn't get a good look at the thief--as one of the good guys, why would you think to do so?

I'm usually more alert to stuff like that. I used to catch the little bastards way back in my youth. Just feeling like I got caught with my pants down. I'm hoping the young lady that did see him knows how to give a good description.

There was a second guy who came in the front door, acting suspiciously (or like a normal teenager / young person) and left super fast around the same time. He had a ten point Distinctive Feature which would make him easy to ID. If he did happen to be involved, and did happen to be someone the local cops have dealt with before, then that may have been useful. He'd never been in the shop before according to the stylist, and didn't seem to be with the other girl who was waiting on her mother based on the girl's body language. He spoke to nobody, just rushed inside, sat down, and fidgeted with his cell phone a bit, then ran back out literally a few seconds later. Under a minute for sure. Possibly a look out. Or a twitchy kid. Who knows?

I think if the guy I was put in contact with recognizes the DF, it may be helpful. If not, they aren't going to go looking for him. Or do much of anything, really. They don't do a lot about property crime up here, and Tukwila is probably the worse place for it in the nearby area. It sucks for people like my stylist (that sounds odd because I have no style, but she's not a barber, so ... eh), but it's understandable, as the case load would be overwhelming, and there are a lot of worse things going on that require the resources first.

I'm usually more alert to stuff like that. I used to catch the little bastards way back in my youth. Just feeling like I got caught with my pants down. I'm hoping the young lady that did see him knows how to give a good description.

There was a second guy who came in the front door, acting suspiciously (or like a normal teenager / young person) and left super fast around the same time. He had a ten point Distinctive Feature which would make him easy to ID. If he did happen to be involved, and did happen to be someone the local cops have dealt with before, then that may have been useful. He'd never been in the shop before according to the stylist, and didn't seem to be with the other girl who was waiting on her mother based on the girl's body language. He spoke to nobody, just rushed inside, sat down, and fidgeted with his cell phone a bit, then ran back out literally a few seconds later. Under a minute for sure. Possibly a look out. Or a twitchy kid. Who knows?

I think if the guy I was put in contact with recognizes the DF, it may be helpful. If not, they aren't going to go looking for him. Or do much of anything, really. They don't do a lot about property crime up here, and Tukwila is probably the worse place for it in the nearby area. It sucks for people like my stylist (that sounds odd because I have no style, but she's not a barber, so ... eh), but it's understandable, as the case load would be overwhelming, and there are a lot of worse things going on that require the resources first.

Spokane basically does nothing about property crime.   Though iirc they CLAIM they are improving that...

Sorry to hear that, gewing. I hope he gets better soon.

Problems with the background check for my new job. They said there's a discrepancy in my education, although they verified I graduated. Boss said it's not a problem, and I have copies of my transcripts. Still a big fat PITA.

Probably has more to do with incompetent background checkers.

Incompetence in business? that's unpossible! The market makes us efficient! 

(Our AM and DM are  touring stores today. Sometimes I'd love to travel with him:

DM: "So. You know that there's a stream of running water on the floor of your deli here, right?"

SM: "I guess that must have just started." (Nearby deli employees do the Eye-Roll-of-Complete-Agreement.)

AM: "Ugh! Bugs! Get them off me! Get them off me!"

SM: "Don't worry, they're under control. We get the janitor to vacuum them up every night."

[bakery manager, watching what's going on, gives the "Don't come over here yet, we haven't managed to hide the caved-in floor yet" signal.]

---I might be exaggerating here. I think we reported the cave-in...