Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Film critic Sean O' Connell calls Death Race director Paul W.S. Anderson "the thinking man's Uwe Boll, his illustrious credits including video game adaptations of Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil."

The film may be terrible, but that's just mean.

Hey! I kinda liked Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil! :mad:

Maybe not the best ever' date='[/i'] but surely in the top 0.000001%. Unless owls eat their young, I can't remember.

Heh. They do not. They do, however, depart the nest as soon as the baby owlets grow enough feathers that they'll be able to fly, and wait for them to follow. No leading by example, no protection to speak of, and no more of that bringing insects, lizards and small rodents for them to ingest. They just wait for instinct to take over.

They do swoop in on any humans who might try to interfere with these processes, however, and do their darnest to scare them away.

Why is Microsoft still running Mojave ads when the Mojave experiment backfired so badly?

Because the company subscribes to the philosophy that "any publicity is good publicity" ;):P

or they are just sad. or don't know the difference.

Why is Microsoft still running Mojave ads when the Mojave experiment backfired so badly?

Backfired in what way? Granted I don't watch TV so I haven't seen any of the ads, but my understanding of the experiment was this:

They took Vista, and rebranded it as Mojave. The then presented it to people who had a stated dislike of Vista to see if they liked this new OS. For the most part they did.

What backfiring did I miss?

Okay, this is just strange. To set up garbage service and water/sewer service in Pittsburg, CA I have to provide them with proof that I either own or am renting the property that I want to have service at. At least the garbage collection people will let me fax it to them. I have to actually go physically down to the city offices for the water portion of the exercise. :(

Backfired in what way? Granted I don't watch TV so I haven't seen any of the ads, but my understanding of the experiment was this:

They took Vista, and rebranded it as Mojave. The then presented it to people who had a stated dislike of Vista to see if they liked this new OS. For the most part they did.

What backfiring did I miss?

The tests were rigged, so the backfiring/mockery in the industry was fairly loud. Vista was indeed presented to Mojave subjects, in a controlled environment, on very high-end equipment, that they weren't allowed to touch. Of course there were no issues with performance, drivers, compatibility, DRM, or viruses. And by the time Mojave happened, Microsoft had already backed off on ramming Vista down everyone's throat.

Okay' date=' this is just strange. To set up garbage service and water/sewer service in Pittsburg, CA I have to provide them with proof that I either own or am renting the property that I want to have service at. At least the garbage collection people will let me fax it to them. I have to actually go physically down to the city offices for the water portion of the exercise. :([/quote']

Since it costs me $80/month for the privilege of just being hooked up to the city sewer system, before I even use it for anything, I would actually want the city to check before signing me up for it. (Not that I have any other option, cesspools being illegal in my neighborhood. I guess I could just hold it all in.)