Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Tae Kwon Do Olympian loses temper' date=' kicks referee in head.[/quote']

Isn't that Assault With A Deadly Weapon?

Very understandable. If you want to trim the Olympics, pull Synchronised Swimming.

And is softball really an Olympic sport?! I never knew!

Why is basketball an olympic sport? Is *every* sport valid to be an *olympic* sport?

:confused:

Isn't that Assault With A Deadly Weapon?

Possibly. Assault and battery definitely, especially since the official needed stitches.

Why is basketball an olympic sport? Is *every* sport valid to be an *olympic* sport?

:confused:

I hear baseball will be replaced with an Iron Chef-style cook-off. ;)

Maybe if they replaced TKD with a real martial art like karate.

:D

*kick (Apologies to Ben for borrowing it without permission; it seemed appropriate given the topic)

I had a question, did they ban the coach because he did something direct, or just because he should of been a better coach?

All I know is that the coach defended the player's action. Maybe that's it. He did stop the player from continuing the assault, however.

Keep in mind they're not allowed to compete, but they can remain in their dojang, if they don't get kicked out of that one too.

I love that the Governing Body of Tae Kwon Do is called WTF.

It seemed very appropriate.

The WTF is one of the governing bodies; it depends on the country. The WTF members include South Korea and the USA. Other countries like Canada and North Korea are part of the ITF (or some incarnation of it, since it fragmented into three or four organizations since the founder died). The Olympics uses the WTF rules.

. . . Interesting question: What does define an Olympic sport' date=' other than "it's a sport competed in at the Olympics"?[/quote']

I think there just has to be enough international participation such that you can get a dozen countries involved or something. I know, it boggles the mind to think that there is an international curling scene. But otherwise I don't see much, if any, restriction. It's pretty random. You can has synchronized diving, but not rugby. You can have curling, but not MMA.

Kung Fu is an interesting case. If I understand the IOC's position, there are too many forms of Kung Fu, and not enough recognized authorities outside of China who could act as judges. If China really wants Kung Fu in the Olympics, they'll need to pick just one or two forms (probably Wu Shu or Sanda) that are practiced in enough countries at a high enough level that some kind of international judging criteria can be established. As things stand now, Chinese judges judging a Chinese sport participated in mainly by Chinese athletes wouldn't leave anyone outside of China feeling like they'd witnessed a fair competition.

Well, the Olympics are over, and despite having six HD channels of Olympic coverage I still feel like I didn't get to see anything different. Four of those channels were dedicated to boxing.* The other two were the gymnastics and Michael Phelps channels. I did get to see quite a bit of women's beach volleyball, which is always nice, and the early U.S. women's sabre sweep meant I got to see some fencing. But I saw no tae kwon do, no judo, and virtually no decathlon. Once again, despite the modern technology that should have enabled it, I was not given the option of watching what events I wanted to watch.

*Ordinarily I like boxing, but the headgear required in Olympic boxing really screws it up. There is virtually no chance of a KO and, really, no incentive to hit hard. The resulting sport is... silly.

Well' date=' the Olympics are over, and despite having six HD channels of Olympic coverage I still feel like I didn't get to see anything different. Four of those channels were dedicated to boxing.* The other two were the gymnastics and Michael Phelps channels. I did get to see quite a bit of women's beach volleyball, which is always nice, and the early U.S. women's sabre sweep meant I got to see some fencing. But I saw no tae kwon do, no judo, and virtually no decathlon. Once again, despite the modern technology that should have enabled it, I was not given the option of watching what events I wanted to watch.[/quote']

It's an unfortunate Catch 22.

"We don't broadcast (archery, judo, jai alai, etc.) because nobody watches it."

"They don't watch it because you don't broadcast it."

"We would broadcast it they watched it."

"They would watch it if you broadcast it!"

"We don't broadcast it because nobody watches it..."

Repeat ad infinitum.

Our area has officially started bracing for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver BC.

"Vancouver, Vancouver, this is it!"

I read an article where the winningest countries, on a medals-per-capita basis, were Jamaica and Australia. By that measure, China lost badly despite its nationwide Olympic-athlete-factory program.

Kung Fu is an interesting case. If I understand the IOC's position' date=' there are too many forms of Kung Fu, and not enough recognized authorities outside of China who could act as judges. If China really wants Kung Fu in the Olympics, they'll need to pick just one or two forms (probably Wu Shu or Sanda) that are practiced in enough countries at a high enough level that some kind of international judging criteria can be established. As things stand now, Chinese judges judging a Chinese sport participated in mainly by Chinese athletes wouldn't leave anyone outside of China feeling like they'd witnessed a fair competition.[/quote']

And jokes about "A score of 10 from all judges -- except for the West German Judge, who scored a 5" would have China replace West Germany. :hush: