How would you take out BATMAN?

Col. Orange

Okay, we're playing in a, hmm, ugly Champions game. By ugly I mean a dark, Vertigo or MAX rather than DC or Marvel comic.

My guy, Martin Lockheed, is a fun loving cross between the Punisher and the Crow with a pair of Desert Eagles (AP rounds in one, Plastic rounds (EB rather than RKA) in the other). 350pts and 20 something Hero Bonus.

Another player is a slightly occult Batman: Hates guns, won't kill, utility belt, access to government/police computers etc. 350pts and shed loads of experience.

Of course, the two haven't gotten on.

My "war on crime"/crusade against those who murdered me has seen me in jail but a hot shot lawyer got me off. Now Occult-Batman wants me destroyed (I'm already dead, so this is not murder). He's tried twice but being dead, I'm pretty hard to kill - but it's just a matter of time.

He's hunting me, I have no real way of finding him. So guy's, how DO you take out Batman?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take full advantage of your own "unkillability". Simply carry a bomb of some kind with lots of shrapanel (an Armor Piercing Explosion RKA) at all time. When "Batman" comes after you again, give him a big bear-hug and detonate the bomb. You'll live... er... survive, and if he doesn't die, he should be weak enough for finishing the job to be cake. And if he bis[/b] tough enough to walk away from that kind of punishment, add some posion to the shrapnel or something.

How to Kill the Batman...

You know this is the question that all of DC's villan's (esp. that Bat's) repeatedly ask themselves and anyone crazy enough to be listening.

My solution requires a Major Leage Telepath (Think Psylocke - but with out the over fondness for admiring ones own handy-work). Then zap the bat with the voodoo you kin do.

Form what I understand of Batman he doesn't have any natural psionic defenses, but can create a gadget to help him in that aspect (if he hasn't done so already). So what you will need to do is apply your telepath subtly and slowly. Find out who the Bat is (secret id), there are people that know, enter your telepath to root out said info. Once info is at hand, ie you know the Bats secret id, insuante Telepath into secret id's life, and slowly apply the pressure by disrupting the Bats secret id life (nice little distraction) and then whne he's really sufferring strain, Telepath hits him with every thing they got hopefully causing enough cerebral damage to kill or vegetate the Bat in secret id self, and whats more there will be no cause for alarm. Cause he just had a stroke whilst under all that pressure, he could cope, and thats what the coroner will say, willingly or unwilling (enter Telepath again).

However this does require a few months work, and the key is slow and steady with the Telepath, insiduous attacks work best when they remain so.

Well thats my 2 pence worth... say do I get change ?

The real danger of dealing with Batman is that he plans. He would likely be prepared for an exploding warehouse or a chest bomb (Although with a Batman knockoff that one's probably a good way to go). So you need to operate outside the box.

Assume he knows how your character thinks - so don't do take what you consider your best course of action - take number 2 or 3 down on the list.

Use what you've done in the past as a blueprint for how not to behave.

Watch a few old episodes of Mission Impossible - realize that Batman is the IM team all rolled into one with batarangs and a blackbelt. Consider how you would defend against them.

Find out his secret ID! Those toys cost money. The car's parked somewhere. Take apart his life - break the man and the hero will falter.

Get some goons - set them up - watch how he interacts with them - study his methods - learn his weaknesses.

Destroy his reputation - Anyone can wear a cowl - a little tarnish and others in the city might do the job for you or at least be willing to help you do it. Even if this has no other effect it will draw him out.

Finally - put your worldly or otherworldly affairs in order - If he's really Batman you're likely to lose - This guy can take out Superman if he gets mad enough.

LOL

I do like the Lemming's approach, it has a certain dircetness one can savour.

So how do we squash the Bat with a giant penny?

I have just envisioned it, picture this if you will...

Our insitgator is someone who can enlarge items (turning a simple small penny into a 20' diameter Disk of Squishing.

Commite a minor crime to get the Bat's attention (preferably in a large open area). Wait for the Bat to eventually arrive. The Bat will normaly talk to you first, especially if you dont act violent-like (so don't act violent-like, if you can take the disadvante of pacefist do so). The Bats will probably ask for your surrender. You then respond by saying, that you can't quite make up your mind whether to go quietly or to put up some form of a struggle, but if the bat would be willing to toss a coin for you it would speed things up. The Bat is probably now very dubious (being a person of a suspicious mind), but before he does anything flip your penny over to the Bat, and say, heads I go queitly into the night, Tails you beat me up before I go quietly into the night. And generally encourage the bat to toss the coin up into the air. When he does, because you did ask him so nicley, you enlarge the little penny into the Disk of Squishing on its way down, and with your free hand you dive for cover.

Result one squished Bat. Return peny to normal size to leave coroner with a real conundrum. And walk away, with your hands in your pockets, whistling a little old ditty, you didn't see a thing.

(sigh)

Nice one Lemming.

Originally posted by Supreme

If you really wanted to eliminate Batman, you'd just switch DC's marketing reports to reflect a sharp decline in sales.

;)

I've got some from the 90's!! just switch the name from Marvel to D.C they'll assume Spider is a typo...

Originally posted by Amnesia

LOL

I do like the Lemming's approach, it has a certain dircetness one can savour.

So how do we squash the Bat with a giant penny?

I have just envisioned it, picture this if you will...

Our insitgator is someone who can enlarge items (turning a simple small penny into a 20' diameter Disk of Squishing.

Commite a minor crime to get the Bat's attention (preferably in a large open area). Wait for the Bat to eventually arrive. The Bat will normaly talk to you first, especially if you dont act violent-like (so don't act violent-like, if you can take the disadvante of pacefist do so). The Bats will probably ask for your surrender. You then respond by saying, that you can't quite make up your mind whether to go quietly or to put up some form of a struggle, but if the bat would be willing to toss a coin for you it would speed things up. The Bat is probably now very dubious (being a person of a suspicious mind), but before he does anything flip your penny over to the Bat, and say, heads I go queitly into the night, Tails you beat me up before I go quietly into the night. And generally encourage the bat to toss the coin up into the air. When he does, because you did ask him so nicley, you enlarge the little penny into the Disk of Squishing on its way down, and with your free hand you dive for cover.

Result one squished Bat. Return peny to normal size to leave coroner with a real conundrum. And walk away, with your hands in your pockets, whistling a little old ditty, you didn't see a thing.

(sigh)

Nice one Lemming.

Lemming was referring, I'm sure, to the attempt by Two-Face, or at least one, I think Two-Face did this 2 or 3 times but I'm familiar with just the Silver Age attempt. Two-Face flipped it, counting on the weight of Batman and Robin to make it land person-side down. Batman used a magnet if I recall to make the coin flip the "wrong" way, or he did some mojo with string tension, I can't quite recall now.

Whatever you do to go after Bats, go for brutal wide indirect (don't allow for pesky cover) area effects and skip the fancy NNDs (he always has life support against whatever-it-is).

Slowly kill all his "family members" and "loved ones" then for his oldest companion or whatever chain them up to a wall in a giant goth club with thousands of Crow wanna bes.

Let them have turns at beating him or cuttting him or what ever. Bat Man comes in. and is busy rescueing side kick whoever you come up behind him and take a o dcv AP shot to his head.

Problems: My way involves being evil

Upside: Its a great fall to evil piece that would make a comic run sell like hotcakes.

Mmmmmmm jhonny Cakes

Go through Bane's plan during "Knightfall". But instead of simply "breaking" the Bat, take your steroid-enhanced arms, and twist his head until it comes off.

Furthermore, instead of leaving the sidekicks around as "messages", insert a high velocity projectile into their frontal lobes, and incinerate the bodies.

To kill a Batman...

First, he is clever. So you have to be simple.

Second, he sees the obvious, so you have to be clever.

Third, he learns as he fights someone, so you must make him fight someone else.

Ok. You'll need a couple other supervillans. Possibly supervillian teams. You hire them to aggrivate Batman in their own particular style. You can let them know that the goal is to kill him, but NEVER let them know who you are. You sit back and watch. Notice how he goes after them. Observe every detail.

Then, when he's firmly focused on them, and not you, you set up your flunkies for him to be taken down at the place of your choice. Watch carefully as he takes all of them down. Then shoot him THROUGH THE OPEN PART OF THE COWL with a high powered rifle. Don't go for the body shot.

Why does no one do this? Because they all want to bask in the glory of being the so-and-so that killed Batman. They don't bother to get on with the job. Batman is tough, but he can be surprised like anyone else. You just need to teach him what to expect, then hit him with the unexpected.

Doc

Guest Champsguy

Okay. We haven't seen any character sheets, so I'm gonna have to be a little vague (don't know what your character's capabilities are).

The first answer, of course, is to talk to the other player. This Batman is a PC, so you can tell the other player "Hey, don't kill my character! Why don't we live in peace!" But if the guy is a first-class ass-face, that might not work.

-If you've got detective abilities, find out who he really is (or other information about him). Don't act on it yourself. Leak it to the criminal underground (not only will this take care of your Bat-problem, it'll weaken the crime syndicates, too).

-Fool him into thinking that he's already killed you. If your "dead", you should be able to fake it pretty easily. Once he thinks you're not active anymore, he'll leave you alone. That's when it's time for you to switch your costume and change your name.

-Attack his moral center. Find some questionable young punk (Lenny the Thug), trick him into thinking that some other thug has betrayed him to the cops, and get him to dress up like you as he goes to mete out his vengeance. ("Hey, Lenny. I heard that Mean Billy Joe ratted you out. You gonna take that? You should dress up like that Crow dude, and go shoot him! That way the cops won't be able to trace it back to you!") When Bat-dude shows up and offs Lenny (thinking it's you), it'll be murder. Not only will this play havok with his morals, it'll get the cops after him.

-Start a new superhero ID. Go to the papers and declare that you're Bat-dude's gay lover, and that he molested you as a child. This'll at least turn public opinion against him, and really piss off the other guy playing the character.

Combat strategies? Well, those are harder, since I don't know a lot about either characters' abilities. The first thing you need to make sure of is to see that the GM will allow you to kill another PC. Some won't (or at least will give the other PC every single benefit of the doubt in order to escape death).

If you've got decent defenses (better than Bat-dude), I'd suggest a constant, low-intensity attack. In other words, fight him in a burning building. If you lure him into a warehouse, make sure there's kerosene spilled all over the floor. Large barrels of flammable material help too. The plan works like this: Bat-dude follows you into the warehouse. During the fight, the kerosene is lit on fire. The smoke from that will provide some cover for you, and he may have trouble breathing (I'm assuming you have life support since you're undead). This will at least make him allocate his Utility Belt Multipower towards his gas-mask. That could keep him from using his Batarangs, if he built the Multipower on the cheap (has to keep the points in Life Support). The fire itself will be about 2D6 or so (until the building really starts burning good). If you can force him into the fire, all the better. You want to keep him in the building (and keep yourself conscious) long enough for the barrels to explode. That'll be a big attack, which should render you both unconscious (if not dying) and cause the building to collapse. Hopefully, the warehouse will be on the docks. That way, you'll both sink into the ocean. Undead don't drown, but Bat-dude does. You might even want to hire a couple of guys to pump shotgun shells into Bat's body after the explosion goes off.

Whenever we had trouble taking out a super-martial-artist, we cheated. Versus one guy, well, we found out his secret ID. Then we followed him to a coffee shop. Then we... sort of... slipped some Ex-Lax into his drink when he wasn't looking. Fifteen minutes later, he was in the bathroom. That's when we kicked in the stall door and blasted him (he was at 0 DCV). Another time, we hijacked a log-truck and drove it through the guy's house, in an attempt to hit him with a larger-than-room-sized area effect attack. We jumped off the truck immediately before impact, and ran into the wreckage to beat on his bleeding body. We were quite embarrassed to find that he wasn't home at the time.

I recommend large, environmental, area effect attacks. Things like propane tanks and fuel trucks blow up good, and better yet, the don't cost points. :D

Batman has proven to have significant willpower, so I doubt a mental attack is the way to go.

/humor on

Batman has three weaknesses.

First and in my opinion most useful of these is his paranoia. While difficult, the Thesues Principle dictates that an enemy's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. You must find a way to turn his tendency to (over)prepare for eventualities against him. Only thing that comes to mind right now is the fact that the cure for most nerve agents are almost as dangerous as the agents themselves...

Another example of the Thesues Principle in action involves his senses. Batman has senses that border on superheroic -- meaning he may overdepend on them. This has been used against him before (Anarky during his limited series did this to great effect). Further, it's important to remember that while Batman's sense are accurate they are not any faster than a normal human's; in my not-so-humble opinion, outside of comic-book-logic Batman wouldn't stand a chance against Superman or The Flash because of this factor. A Superman or Flash that was commited to taking Batman out would be able to do so with little problem.

The third weakness is more subtle, but nonetheless a factor. Given his instability, Batman may be more vulnerable to *emotional* attacks. In particular, I've always how effective a pleasure-based attack would be against him if used by a committed enemy; remember, you only need to delay him for a second or two so that you can follow the attack up with a bullet.

Don't kill him, humiliate him...

Agree to meet with him "to finish this once and for all" in an abandoned warehouse of his choice. Arrive with Geraldo Rivera, a camera crew and an audience. Introduce him to America, tell him that you are considered a living being by the courts, and that SOB (Slightly Occult Batman) would be committing a capital crime by killing him. However, If you can't convince him that you don't deserve to die, you won't stand in his way. Provided, of course, that he do it on live television.

If he leaves, conduct your smear campaign on live TV. tell America that it is now clear to you that SOB meant to kill you secretly, and that "Evil dies in the light of exposure".

If he tries to kill you then and there, try to fight to a stalemate until the cops show up, and then fall down "dead" Let him be the hunted hero for a change.

If he tries to debate you, let him have it. Make your moral case in front of America. I don't know the specifics of your case, but argue it on SOB's terms, not your own moral justification. At the end of the speech, as the cops are showing up, let him make his decision. If he decides to kill you, fall down "dead" at the first blow. Simulate death until you get to the morgue, and slip off into the night.

What? You can't simulate death? then just shoot him in the head...